1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Much for 72 Les Paul, Beat Up?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by zimbo, Dec 2, 2020.

1. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

This is my '72 Deluxe. Bought it new and it is a great guitar. I wish it had some of the checking of the one for sale. I'd say $2500 may be just a bit over priced - but not by much. I'd change those tuners for period correct keystones - look much better.

upload_2020-12-2_18-28-40.png

MickM likes this.
  2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Looked at it on my ipad, does seem like a fair price.
    Odd how little it was played, maybe the original owner didn't come back from Vietnam and it sat for 30 years.

Given that a same year Strat sells for more, but costs less to build today, I'd say those Norlins are a pretty good place to put some gear money if you like them and want an old LP to play.
    Aside from spec quibbles they are not bad guitars.
    When I bought mine for $700 it was a better player than most of the way more expensive fresher used examples.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

OMG you admit you modded your vintage guitar???

Nice job!

4. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

Nice burst! looks like Fireglo :cool:

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The L.P. Deluxe, which was renamed fro: the .standard model in 1969, carried mini-humbuckers as standard components but had Humbuckers available as an option in 1972-1976. The Standard model with full-sized h7mbuckers was reintroduced in 1976 while the Deluxe was discontinued 8; 1982.
    The guitar in the OP was modded as it seems from the sale pitch to carry humbuckers. This affects value, imho...as do the other aspects of it. What is it worth?? Not that $2500 to me. I had two Deluxes which I wish I would have kept. One was a dead m8nt Goldtop Deluxe with minis. The other was one of the fairly rare Blue sparkles that were offered in the mid-70s along with a red sparkle option. Both would be worth considerably more than this modified guitar is worth, ime.

Electric Warrior and Henley like this.
  6. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

Considering what you can get in the $2500 range, I'm in the minority and think that's too high of a price for a non-stock guitar. I think the majority of Gibson's prices are bloated ... so that's no surprise.

Electric Warrior and Wally like this.
  7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think early 70s unmodified deluxe are going for more like 3500-4000 nowadays

Wally likes this.
  8. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

you're right - started out as Tobacco Brown sb and has slowly aged to a reddish brown.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

There were cherry burst Deluxes.

fenderchamp likes this.
  10. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Um, actually the Standard, built in Kalamazoo, was available as a dealer special-order only, between 1973-1975. It was essentially the same as the Deluxe but had the large T-top pickups and a trussrod cover engraved with "Standard" in a small script. It didn't appear in catalogs but was the guitar you refer to with large humbuckers - but it was only available starting in'73. Mine has pots dating it to '74.

[​IMG]

The "Standard" was officially reintroduced in 1976 as the flagship model at the Nashville Plant. It had a three-piece maple neck, chrome jack plate, and a trussrod engraved with "Standard" in a large script like the modern one below.

[​IMG]

Bob

Henley and Wally like this.
  11. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I think it's overpriced based on not having the mini humbuckers, being routed out and having a coil tap switch which may or may not work. Plus it's pretty beat. I'm sure that coil tap is not original like the seller is claiming.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Electric Warrior likes this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Routed for full size humbuckers. So, its no longer a deluxe in voice or essence, or originality. But in functionality, its a authentic 1972 build, retrofitted like most Deluxes, with the more desirable humbuckers. I personally would rather have a Deluxe with the mini-humbuckers, but I'd say yes, a functional 1972 LP is worth $2500 all day, with some nonoriginal pups and hardware.

ElJay370 likes this.
  13. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Jakedog likes this.
  14. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The week I bought it 48 years ago. Switched the mini's out for HBs from a 61 SG. I put the mini's in a dresser drawer - I guess my mom threw them out along with my baseball cards and comics - wish I had them all back :)

Jakedog, telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  15. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Yup - my bandmate went in with me to buy - I got the tobacco brown SB and he got the cherry SB. He however kept his original pickups.

telemnemonics and Wally like this.
  16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I know a guy from college that got a brand new Deluxe in the mid 70s and it has been his #1 ever since. He used it a lot, gigging with it many times, but he babies his gear and it looks almost NOS. Hardly a scratch on it. We did a big 30th reunion gig in 2014 and we had a blast. I couldn’t believe the guitar— he looked 30 years older but the guitar looked the same, like it went through a time machine or something.

17. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I hear this same line of, in my opinion, bunk, frequently touted on the internets, the "crappy vs the special guitar" and particularly the "mint conditional vintage guitars are obviously crappy and that's why they didn't get played, and that great vintage guitars are beat to death"

Trooth here .... there are plenty of people that buy guitars, who just can't play them, and never really do learn. Many more surely than actually do learn how to play, and continue to play long enough to beat a guitar to death. Don't blame the guitars...Some of these people sell them, some leave 'em in the closet or under the bed.

and Just because someone played a guitar to death doesn't mean that it's different or better than said former "mint" sort of guitar, it just means they played it a lot.

A setup and some practice is usually all that is needed to make a guitar better. I don't believe in "the special, hand-picked guitar among all of the other guitars". I believe somewhat that all acoustic guitars are not created equal, and that no two pieces of wood are exactly the same, I suppose one could mold a couple of guitars out of some resin or carbon fiber or plastic that would be very consistent, but I think most guitars have their own voice, particularly electric guitars, and it requires the dedication of a player to find it. If the neck is reasonably straight, an electric guitar can be sorted out.

The player is everything, the guitar (if it is (can be) setup properly and if it is in good repair) warrants little credit or blame. .

This is exactly why you can't buy a guitar that suddenly makes you a great player

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Henley and jayyj like this.
  18. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Not bad price.

I would get it and would drop the old minihumbuckers back

If it has been played, means is good

Chevalier likes this.
  19. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Gibson switched most of the core models from three piece mahogany to three piece maple around the end of '74 / beginning of '75, then they mostly reverted back in the early 80s.

$2500 seems fair for this, not a steal but certainly not overpriced in the current market.

hdvades likes this.
  20. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice, if you can grab it, I had a '76 LP Deluxe for a good few years, but as another guy said, it was damn heavy, I got rid about 15 years ago, but kinda wish i hadn't in the long run

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.