How much does wood really affect bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chriss945, Apr 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

You didn't mention accordions anywhere in that statement. Can we all agree that an all solid wood accordion would most likely have the best tone of any accordion? Ever?

2. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I am a believer in predictability in this field but not absolute predictability.

I can however predict that I will never buy a guitar from a builder who does not want to suggest some specific tonal differences in the models she/he is offering based on wood used.

3. Tom S

Tom S Friend of Leo's

Do you mean to say that you actually prefer hyperbole and fantasy to reality? You're in luck, there is no shortage of builders that will accommodate you.

To paraphrase Gordon (with respect), "Tonewoods are mostly froth and bubble..."
    (Although I would substitute for "mostly" the words "wholly," "completely," "entirely," "without exception," etc.

4. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

I thought the idea of going to a builder was telling them exactly what you want and why, and they build it.

If it's going to be the other way round, buy a production guitar.

I really don't see electric guitar builders as being any better than a good factory guitar. What you do get is the warm fuzziness of ordering your own exclusivity, at a price commensurate with the needs of a small business that has to make a decent living from low volume sales.

5. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Thank you...

Define better.

And . . I have been tellin' y'all from the Jump, you do not need a high end guitar to make exceptional music... what ya need to do is learn to play the one you have... Pretty much any guitar that stays in tune, generates a recognizable signal, and doesn't fold up like a cheep lawn chair will do..

As Tom mentioned, If you want to be told some builder builds the "best" uses only the "best" tone wood... there's plenty of excellent BS artists to choose from..

Whenever you read the word Tonewood, be careful, BS is relatively close at hand, ya might be knee deep already.

For there to actually be a "tonewood" designation, there would have to be an established, accredited, recognized organization to establish the various grades. Until there is.. the word tonewood is as meaningless as the word "real" as used in advertising.. FYI, the FDA has determined, the word "real" has no meaning relative to advertising a product... Genuine Chocolate, HAS to be the genuine article, Real Chocolate can be any concoction, these concoctions may even taste kinda like the Genuine article...

That's not bull.. I read the "memo" back in the 70's while I was working at the William Cook Advertising Agency... Largest in the SE at the time.. I don't make this schidt up.

I can take a piece of Pine, one that's pretty much what the bugs didn't have a taste for, and make a stunning sounding guitar... I'm sorry, I'm just not gonna BS you guys by holding up a hunk of termite riddled wood and proclaim it a tonewood. I do not recognize "tonewood" until the guitar is done, and the thing sings.

Now.. that does not preclude what y'all want... and what ya want does not have to be "cleared" in the forums.. ya can just go getcha one..two, or whatever... Some work hard... and feel like rewarding themselves... might be a 50,000.00 Shotgun, might be a 50,000.00 watch, or it might be a 50,000.00 guitar... for them, owning something like that just makes 'em feel good..

Simple fact is time as revealed by a 50.00 Casio, Citizen, Seiko, watch is just as accurate, just as much the real time it is as ya check the watch, as it is on a 35,000.00 Rolex, or a 500,000.00 Patek Philippe, but some guys just want one... two.. etc..

Years ago, during a course dealing with marketing, we were taught most, that's most of any targeted group, wanna be told what to think, by someone with a presumed reputation in that field. To close the deal, all ya gotta do is plant the "seed", shut up, and let them think they came up with the idea...

Best way to plant the seed is to parrot whatever anecdotal myths are circulating at the moment. That's why you will see a large manufacturer's advertising begin to repeat buzz words that are receiving a lot of exposure in whatever media is prevalent at the moment.

When someone steps up and exposes Bull.. invariably, the minions, and those vested in a myth will scream foul the loudest. For the Minions, it's an emotional issue...that means it's like talking Religion, or Politics. Notta chance of leading those 'guys" out of the dark. And for those "vested" it means ya go to their web site and you'll usually find a long dissertation trying to capitalize on what ever BS myth is circulating at the moment. Kinda hard to put up a web site, then admit the info is wrong.

Mark Twain said it best... "it's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.

rk

6. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

"Better" could be a whole new thread, the way these thing go. Finish, detailing, nice wood grain showing through, fancy tuners, "hand selected, deep forest tone woods"…

But I agree. We're actually spoilt for very good affordable off the shelf guitars. Well, right handers are. For me as a lefty, one day, I might have to buy such a guitar, but something tells me I'm not enough of a gear head to want one bad enough.

7. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

Try taking the same pickups and electronics out of a guitar and putting them in another made from different wood. I've done it a few times. Contrary to what you read here, it's a big difference.

8. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

I got ears and after years of live playing, concerts, stereos, loud engines, shipboard noise etc... I can't tell the difference. Pickups yes. Acoustic guitars - yes. Neck through and/or string through yes. Bridges with some mass to them - yes. A finely cut nut - yes. Compensated nuts or saddles - yes. Amps - yes.

Funny thing is... after years of living in countries that serve HOT food, and eating lots of hot food and spicy food etc... Heck, even good wine is wasted on me - a $7 liter of Gallo tastes the same as a $35 glass of fine wine.

9. SAguitar

SAguitar Tele-Meister

Do y'all think 10-ply plywood would sound better than 5-ply?

10. Ronkirn

In the 70's I was doing a TV Commercial for one of Burt Reynolds restaurants here in Jacksonville.. a really upscale place...

when we wrapped it up he gave me a 200.00 bottle of some Frawncais Merlot . . . that's 200 bux in early 70's bux... He probably spent 30 minutes 'splaining how wonderful it was.

Guess I should have expected as much from a 'Nole... the stuff was just plain horrible... I'd rather have a bell jar of Welches grape juice with a shot of grain alcohol...

Gimme scotch... the cork sniffers can have the wine..

rk

11. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

My experience was different than brenn's.

A few years ago, I changed a Tele from an ash body to a walnut body, and even when listening carefully, noticed no tonal difference. None. Not even a little bit. No kidding. Same hardware, electronics, neck, same everything, except for strings and set up (which can of course make a difference). I was pretty amazed, since I had expected a change of some sort, but there was none. I can't argue with my own perception of the results.

I'm not suggesting that brenn is mistaken. I'm not saying that if I changed 100 or 1000 Tele bodies from ash to walnut there would be no difference, but based on my experience, I don't think that changing body wood makes a noticeable difference.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  12. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

You're the sort of customer most of those builders like to see coming

13. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

Probably. Good lamination is the key. Pine sounds good too. How 'bout old barn wood. My sister has 2 old practically falling down barn structures on her farm. I have thought about harvesting some of that and turning out some roughed out tele bodies for eBay.

14. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

My parts-[​IMG]caster Tele with the pine body is the most resonant guitar I own.

15. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Sometimes I really wish this place had a LIKE button.

16. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

So you can't hear a tonal difference between a rosewood bodied D28 and a mahogany bodied D18. :confused:

No you probably can't.

17. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Let's leave aside the fact that both guitars have different construction and focus on the fact that the discussion is about wood in electric guitars - either way, lost as to what your point is.

And why does every discussion about tone have to come down to a dick measuring competition about how great a player is and whether they are "good enough" to hear a difference.

First of all, that's just the typical emporers new clothes tactic that really shouldn't be used outside a school playground.

Secondly, players with highly developed ears are more likely - not less likely - to hear what they expect to hear (please read research on the McGurk effect)

For the record, if you really do want to measure dicks, let's swap resumes.

Sheesh.

18. Ronkirn

this is a counter oft proffered as these discussions continue in an attempt to discredit the opposition..

let's get one thing established.. an acoustic guitar is designed to do one thing.. move air... it is it's own amplifier . . if no air moves no sound, or no useable sound is heard. that's it. There are a multitude of ways to alter the voice when the "amp" is the instrument, as is done in the many excellent acoustic guitars available...

An electric guitar is a generator.. it is designed to do one thing, move electrons... no electrons move, the amplifier, which is designed to move air, has nothing to amplify into an electrical signal strong enough to make the speaker cone alternate back and forth in synchronous motion with the signal being generated...

Therefore the acoustic guitar is better suited to be compared to the amp, not the electric guitar.

Ron Kirn

19. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Of course you wouldn't try to discredit the peons who disagree with cheesy comparisons,..

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dude, exactly what is your beef with Ron? You've been stalking him as if he ran over your dog or something...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.