How much does what you learned to play on still influence what you use today?

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Barely at all.

I didn’t keep any of the stuff I started on, and despite owning a lot of guitars over the years, I don’t ever have a lot a one time. So it’s been a journey.

Tastes change, and what I’ve liked to play has changed.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
What I learned to play on in 1967...
1642432509230.png

...the guitar I play almost every day these days...
1642432654431.png

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I thought the OP was asking how one's first guitar influenced one's present playing. My first musical instrument was the piano. I had piano lessons beginning at age 9. We had a Winter brand spinet in our living room that I practiced on.

Being that I grew up in a parsonage, I had to learn to play hymns from the hymnal, so that I could substitute the the church pianist when necessary. My teacher taught me to play the soprano and alto parts in the right hand and play the bass in octaves with my left.

After teaching myself to play the guitar at age 16, I learned how to play the 3rd harmony part in the right hand.

And that still more or less influences how I play piano to this day.

Last edited:

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
That’s an interesting question. My interest in guitar was inspired by the Beatles and avalanche that followed. My brother got a guitar a cheap Stella, not that playable. I learned how to play a first position E chord and banged away at the Bo Diddley beat.

Eventually I got a Kay electric bass I played through an old hi-fi amp that was scrounged up somewhere with a homemade 1x12 cabinet. I got in a band though. I had to borrow a better amp for our gigs at school and the teen club events.

My brother eventually got an electric guitar that an older guy I knew from school built. This was 1966 or so. It had one lipstick pick up and a pine I think body, double cutaway with a V. I think the neck was probably a Harmony. He also got a band new Princeton Reverb, which is long gone.

He veered towards acoustic folk music and sort of abandoned his electric gear. But my parents made me quit the band over grades then we moved to another state.

My life took a downward tilt from that point onward with many years of substance abuse. My brother sold his homemade electric guitar to a friend. I was always drawn to guitar and music but my addiction took first place.

I didn’t even own a guitar except that bass which I wasn’t that interested in plus had no bass amp. I played every guitar I happened upon for years.

Sometime in the later 70’s I got it together enough with a windfall to buy a Hofner acoustic dreadnaught. In the early 80’s I started playing electric again and eventually was able to buy an Aria Pro II L P copy with I played for years. I got a 1972 Deluxe Reverb about then as well which I still use to this day. I eventually gave the Pro II to a friend’s son.

After I sobered up my interest in playing ramped up and I started over again in the 90’s. I don’t regret my past but sometimes wonder what might have happened had I put playing music first instead of drugs and alcohol.

boxocrap

Tele-Afflicted
View attachment 940841
Well, this was my gear back in 1994 Aside from the blue guitar and both amps, I still own all of it.

So what was my set up in those days?
My Squier strat into my Squier Sidekick 15 and my GEM Mars 50 with a Boss DS-1 and an Ibanez Phase tone as my pedals, that was all.

So how does that influence the gear I use today?
- Well I still use solid state amps, I used Hiwatt maxxwatt, Marshall Valvestate and a TON of Peaveys over the years but always came back to Fender amps.
- Likewise, I keep returning to Fender Style guitars, mainly strats, it's just what I'm used to.

So what about you guys?
my 1st "real" guitar was a tele..with a super reverb.. after my tele got stolen i got a strat...so ya..i got used to a 25 1/2" scale..and for decades had only that combo with a few pedals..i eventually got more stuff a couple more guitars and rack mount stuff ...and stopped doing the pedal dance..my current gear is really an extension of my original stuff..so i'm very influenced by my original stuff

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
The stuff I learned on was quickly replaced as I got better. It was 30+ years ago, so no regrets.

I still have my first Fender however, which was my main guitar for 25+ years until pretty recently when it needed a refret etc.

One thing that has stuck with me is that even now I rarely play with an amp, even though I have some nice ones. I never had a decent one until a few years ago, so about 95% off the time I just pick up one of my electrics and play, no need to plug it in. Doing this I seem to have kept the guitars that are loudest unplugged, which always seems to translate to them sounding great when plugged in.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
My first guitar was a terrible pos Les Paul knock off.

It taught me that life is too short to play a lousy Guitar.

There were and, still are some nice LP knock offs out there.
This simply wasn't one of them.

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Holic
Don't get me wrong, in 1964, I loved my Sears Silvertone guitar and amp. Really at the time, for a 12-13
year old boy, that wasn't a bad start. Had a music store up the street from my moms' house and every time
I walked by that store, there was a beautiful Gretsch guitar, in the window. Took odd jobs of all kinds
for 2 years and by then the music store didn't have the Gretsch any longer, but they did have a Telecaster.
The rest is history. Bought that sucker, as soon as I COULD.

Tommy Biggs

Friend of Leo's
My first acoustic was a cheap Silvertone, that the bridge slid around on. Wide neck, mini frets. It was kinda suboptimal for gettin* my Leslie West going.
so I bought a fender Mustang. That didn’t exactly help much either, but it worked out ok! Paired with a big clean SF Fender, it wasn’t a particularly rocking rig. (I still have the bandmaster though, 40 years later).

I’m not a fan of either of those types of guitars anymore. I guess it helped me understand that different guitars and amps do different things.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
My first guitar was a Norma 3 pup, just like this one.

Whoa, I gave it away, and this one is $700.00 on Reverb!

Playing style is quite the same. Still go for strats, but evolution has made me favor super strats. Love the bridge bucker tone, ala EVH. I still chase the EVH and then Joe Satriani styles, but have definitely expanded. I discovered Jerry Garcia around 1989, and spent a good 10 years chasing that. Then Steve Kimock. Now, it's a weird mix of country, jamband, 80's guitar rock. Recently got a 7-string, and started the heavy stuff. But, have always loved metal.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
I cut my electric guitar teeth on a 1979 LP and it is still my number one. Bought it new in 1979. Les Pauls and humbuckers are still my favorites.

Last edited:

TheFuzzDog

TDPRI Member
Not much. My first guitar was a Memphis Les Paul. It was a fine guitar, and I wish I still had it. That said, I basically play only strat style or tele style guitars these days.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
Almost completely. First guitar was a Giannini classical that I still have and used through my freshman year at conservatory (and don't think I didn't get flak for that). First electric was my trusty '71 SG-200 that I also still have. My entire style of electric playing is based on that guitar, from the controls being down below on the bottom bout to the funky bridge/tailpiece that I learned to anchor my wrist on when playing leads.

Gardo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
My first lessons were on an old Martin D-18 that my neighbor had. That sound became the standard by which acoustics are judged .
Mine is not vintage but I had to get a D-18

Last edited:

421JAM

Tele-Afflicted
I learned to play on trumpet, and it influenced the way I play drums and guitar in many ways. It taught me the importance of each instrument fulfilling a small role within a larger whole. It taught me about timbre, and now multiple instruments playing the same note can create something greater than the sum of the parts, something impossible for one instrument (or multiples of the same instrument) to play. It taught me how to read music, which oddly has been more helpful with drum music than guitar music, but helpful nevertheless. It taught me how to practice, individually, as a group, and as a subset of a group. It taught me how valuable a good leader is. It taught me that there is a role for players of every ability level, and that even low level players fill extremely important pieces of the whole. I could go on and on.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
My first electric was a Comet red Ibanez RS-135, but my first guitar was some nylon stringed guitar, it sadly died in highschool as it snapped its neck in an accident, still makes me kinda sad to this day, got it from my parents. Anyways I still have two Ibanez RS-135's.

My taste in music has expanded considerably since back then, still hear alot of the music we heard back then, but as said in many other threads I do not listen to alot of guitar based music anymore, well there is guitar in some of it, but it is not the main instrument.

I do not play much more these days, have a bad wrist to tend...annoying.
Plus my intrest has waned a great deal the last 10-11 years, I still play...but it has none of what I used to infuse into it.
Life kicks you hard sometimes, I love my guitars, but I also like a great many other things.

I keep my Ibanez guitars and my Seagull.
So my preference for a Japanese strat style is still my thing, I want a Tele again some day though!

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
piano and a guitar with high action

led to

love of rich harmony and Django the physical feats of

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
I Started messing around on my Dad’s Yamaha FG-180 and so my parents bought me a used Harmony rocket when I was 14. Both of those guitars had chunky necks. Then I bought my first good guitar when I was 21. A 1963 Gibson Melody Maker. Again with a nice chunky neck. So I guess I like chunky necks because of that. All of my “Fenders” have chunky replacement necks. Small necks make my left hand hurt. About 16 years ago, my dad gave me his 1973 ES-345. Great guitar but it was killing my hand. So I sold it to my cousin in-law who loves tiny necks for $2500, bought an Ibanez JSM-10 for $1100 and put $1400 in the bank. Win win.