How much does the condition of a guitar affect its value

Discussion in 'B-Bender Forum' started by Digiplay, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

This is the business side of me talking now, and I need other Members input, as you have forgotten more about Telecasters than I'll EVER know :)

I'll use my 2011 3 tone Sunburst Nashville B Bender (with original G&L case) as the proverbial poster child.

1) If it was brand new, never been played, what do you guess it would be worth?
    2) It it had been played, but was still in new/mint condition, what do you guess it would be worth?
    3) It it was in excellent condition, but had just a few very few small nicks/scratches, what do you guess it would be worth?
    4) It it was in very good condition, but had a few more small nicks/scratches than the above # 3 guitar, what do you guess it would be worth?
    5) It it was in good condition, but had more nicks/scratches than any of the above guitars, what do you guess it would be worth?

I know the answer is probably open to debate, but I'm relying on your past experience as to what the condition of my B Bender, heck ANY Telecaster for that matter, has upon its value to potential buyers.

Does the condition affect its value more or less than what an inexperienced novice (read that as me) would assume it does?

I'm assuming (uh oh) that it affects it a LOT, even though "a LOT" is relative to ones financial situation :)

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I see them going for $1500-ish, around here.
    I had a Nashville bender Tele, and it’s two pickup predecessor.
    Both were great, heavy guitars.
    I digress.
    If it were like new, I’d say $1500, heavily used $1100, in between, uh, in between ($1250).
    They don’t sell the quickly or easily, around here.
    I only know two local B bender guys, and I’m one of em’.

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Then we need to recruit more Austin B Bender Players :)

What would it be worth if it were brand new, never been played?

Not that it matters, but my Nashville B Bender weighs around 9 pounds, 4 ounces.

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

my take, its not really the condition but rather the model.

B Benders, while they appear to be very popular, but they really are not. Players buy them , pay big bucks, learn a few licks and then get worn out with the 2 or 3 licks they know and then re-sell them. B Benders are not a novelty but many players treat them as such. The market is limited , especially at the north of $1200 price. Too much money invested to let it hang on the wall or live in the case.

We see some crazy asking prices for the Fender PG's, between $1500 and $2000. The availability is low so the ASK is high. But the issue is clear, a very nice , under a grand Tele can have a custom installed Bender for under $700 , in some cases under $600 . So we do the math.

I own a 2012 Fender PG, yes mint, I paid $1200 late last year, it's a fine guitar and the PG system works just fine, but this is a heavy guitar compared to my 08 USA Tele with the Forest Lee system. That guitar total was +/- $1500 , so right there to me is where the market value is capped out.

I did offer my 2012 Fender PG for $1400, not one taker. It would probably sell very soon at $1200 but for now it stays put. I kinda like having it. I do play it often but not on gigs.

My 3rd Bender is the Gibson Music City jr, made for two years back around 2012. It has the Glaser system and can be a B or G Bender. I paid full asking price for this late last year as well, under $1400 . For some crazy reason we see a few folks trying to sell these for near $2000, realistically the $1500 value is probably more accurate. But , compared to the Fenders, these are REALLY hard to find so a person with deep desire may not much care about the overall premium price, its the HUNT that matters. Finding just ONE for sale is a reward !

I say the PG prices should fall in the $1200/$1300 range, maybe more on a good day, maybe a bit less on a slow day. Its the Bender model that matters , not the type of Telecaster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.