How Much Does the Amp Matter When Using Helix Effects?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Hoodster, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I'm thinking about picking up an HX Effects (or Pod Go for just effects) and wondering once you layer all that goop on your tone, how much does the amp matter?

Let's say Option A is a pedal amp like a Vox MV50 Clean or Quilter 101, and Option B is a real decent quality tube amp.

Assume the same speaker and cab.

Can you hear (or feel) the difference?

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

I guess it depends on how much "goop" you want to layer on. I still believe you need a good foundation and I think you can get a good sound out of a Quilter just like a decent tube amp. If you don't have a decent starting tone I don't believe a Helix can save you.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  3. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

the other guitarist in our church band uses helix, through a HRD Deville.. He has some analog drives and uses the helix for delays, reverb and amp model..

he sounded good and he has a bassman amp modelled in his helix.. but not really sure if the "bassman" tone is exactly what Im hearing.. sorry not helping, but i think if configure it nice enough, you can sound whatever you want through it.

4. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

The HX Effects does not have the amp models, so having a good amp is part of the equation. I’m guessing that if you use a Pod Go without any amp or cabinet models, it would be the same. However, if one is using amp and cabinet models, then you would want a PA for your output.

At my church, normally, I use a Helix. It goes straight to the front of house DI. However, for outdoor services I use a real amp and a pedal board. For the next outdoor service, I intend to replace the current pedal board with a HX Effects. Really versatile, and with the four cable method on an amp with an effects loop, it is really something. I’ll let others argue if the modeled effects are sufficiently good to replace the analog effects for them. For me, they are (even though I love a good pedal board).

jtees4 and kuvash like this.
  5. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I don't know this effect, but if it is going to be your front end signal, I would think a very powerful full range solid state amp would make it sound the best. Digital multi-effect units are better served with a good solid state power amp and a great speaker cab. Depending on your desires, the amp is very important to any equation dealing with the creation of a great electric guitar sound

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not really true with the HXFX. I have one, and it doesn't overpower the sound of any of my tube amps-but I don't layer on the effects. A few drives, delay, and reverb are typically all I use.

codamedia likes this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

when you have a good amp.... nothing else matters. even a mediocre guitar will sound good, and no pedals are required. why add complications, get a good amp

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tastefully applied effects can transform a good rig into a great one.

codamedia likes this.
  9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Don't over think this.... there is no difference between a multi fx and a pedal board loaded with pedals. It doesn't matter which one you own, the LAYER OF GOOP you add is completely up to you!

An HX Effects is the equivalent to having a pedal board with 9 pedals on it. Each preset can be 9 different pedals, or the same basic setup with just one or two replaced. It's still "up to" 9 pedals. AND... like a pedal board... just because there are 9 effects on it, that doesn't mean all 9 need to be turned on!

To answer your actual question... the amp matters equally the same with a multi fx as it does with a pedal board. I digress.... don't over think this!

Frodebro likes this.
  10. codamedia

IMO... any of those amp options you list will do just fine.
    1. If your primary tones are created by the effects (regardless of Multi fx or pedal board) then clean headroom in the amp is what you need to consider.
    2. If you want the amp to provide the primary color of the tone... then just choose the amp of choice and add the effects tastefully in front of it.

11. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Unless the gig calls for tones that can't be obtained without certain effects, of course. Good luck with that otherwise.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  12. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Since those effects have amp sims, using a Quilter set to flat mode would be ideal, that would allow the character of the IR/sim to come out.
    The Quilter Interblock has a setting for FRFR, the Quilter 101 can be set to a flat setting as well, I personally use 2 Quilter Interblocks set to FRFR with a Helix (for stereo) and they sound great IMO.
    Previously I used the original Quilter 101, which also sounded great.

I use the Helix with a tube amp on occasion, I can still get great sounds but more tweaking is involved.

13. codamedia

The OP made it clear he was only going to use effects... no amp models.
    1. The HX Effects is not a modeler, it is just effects
    2. The POD GO has amp modeling, but he said he is only going to use it for EFFECTS!

jtees4 likes this.
  14. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Yep just came back to edit the HX Effects, that is all it does.
    Yep he made clear, but the Go has amp modeling and guaranteed if he gets a Pod Go he will use it, why wouldn't he?
    IMO Modeling works best through a FR amp, which is usually SS.
    Have a nice day:D

15. codamedia

I don't disagree with this... I use a Helix and FRFR myself. But FR and amp modeling is VERY different from effects into an amp and is a totally different discussion.

Because he said so :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  16. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Nope, just because between the 2 products the Pod Go is the obvious choice, it has a foot pedal, it has amp sims, giving the user a wider variety of tones than an effects only through a tube amp, the pricing is close, and one can simply pack the Go to a gig if there's a PA available... doesn't need the amp.

Quilter 101, Pod Go, cables and a cab all you need and weigh less than a single tube amp with equivalent wattage.

The OP is very close to discovering the ideal rig.

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

TREMENDOUSLY.

Frodebro likes this.
  18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It’s all personal preference and what you’re willing to compromise in the name of mobility and convenience.

I’ve run the HX Stomp direct to FOH, to Studio monitors, to an FrFr, to a cab with two different popular SS poweramps, and in 4CM to a 50w tube head. Everybody has their own opinion, but I don’t think there’s any substitute for a guitar cab if you end up for going the modeling route. Everything else is a compromise in the interest of convenience. Just my experience.

I have a MV50 too, but haven’t run the Stomp into it. I like that unit for portability, but it seems to fall apart at higher volumes in my experience. Nothing I’d want for anything other than a backup.

Anyway, I use the Stomp for effects and signal routing into the 50 tube amp now. No “goop” that I’m aware of. Great sounding and performing rig. I highly recommend the 4CM, as it really allows you to get the most out your setup.

Ignatius likes this.
  19. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Wow, tons of really helpful responses - thanks to everyone!

Regarding the Quilter 101, since I already have one I will probably start there. When you say "set to flat" I assume you mean the TRI-Q knob, but which amp model? (I prefer the surf)

And, as others have pointed out, I assume that would only matter if I went with the Pod Go and used amp sims, rather than using either it or the Helix for just the effects, which is my intention as originally stated.

20. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

You would set it to "FullQ" and the TriQ on flat (12 O clock on the original 101), the thing is, with the Pod Go you get the effects, you also get a foot pedal controller, and you get some amp sims.

You may not use the amp sims, but I found I like the amp variety in the Helix, I can switch between the amps, using nothing but the amps and get amazing sounds.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.