1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much do you work over there in the US?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RaistMagus, Jun 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NashvilleDeluxe

NashvilleDeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Private school teacher. In theory (or if we strictly followed our contract), I would work 200 days per year, less 40 paid hours for substitution...equivalent to approximately 8 days of teaching time. So... I theoretically could work 192 days for just under 80k salary.

In reality, we work stupid numbers of uncompensated hours, lots of evenings and weekends, and have palpable amounts of stress from the reality vs. expectations paradox. My school had a 30% burnout rate among full time teachers this year.

I've done a few other things in my life, owned my own businesses in water treatment and construction, worked in sales, on farms, in grocery stores, Government projects, etc.

Teaching is good for my current lifestyle of single dad...a decent balance of time and money, security and benefits, and active contribution to a retirement fund. However, my heart is missing being an entrepreneur. Someday, again...

2. TeleBits

TeleBits Tele-Meister

I got my first 'real ' job when I was 44 .. I'd had the idea that a job would take up all my time , and I was right .. But I worked 18 years which with my 3 years Military time let me retire with a Federal pension .. Now I'm back to how life is supposed to be .. Motorcycles , dogs and friends .. Work sucks !

3. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

I work a 37.5 hour week with 6 weeks paid vacation plus statutory holidays and 3 family days a year. All overtime is doubletime, banked or paid, whatever you prefer. I retire in one year. Reading all these stories I'm realizing that, for a North American, I'm doing all right.

Oh, and I'm a systems analyst (computer geek) working for a large local company.

Some folks here work awfully hard. I hope it's worth it.

I think I'll stop complaining about my job from now on. Maybe......:rolleyes:

4. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Had a paper round at 13, worked part-time in supermarket warehouses from 16 until I graduated at 22. Worked for the same company for 34 years since. I'm contracted (and paid) to do 36 hours per week, but rarely work less than 45. I get 30 days holiday plus 8statutory holidays per year, if I'm sick I will be paid for the first six months in any year. In a couple of years the company will reorganise again and this time my face will more than likely not fit. I'll be able to retire on about half my current salary. I've been lucky, my generation have been lucky, I don't think I can say the same for my kids and their generation. As a country we have repeatedly spent money we don't have (the USA deficit is even worse). It is a situation which is unsustainable, at some point we have to pay our debts, and the kids will be the ones to suffer.

5. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

I just started a new job. I have a college degree, but I don't need one for this job. The standard work week is 40 hours, 5- 8hour shift. But right now, I can expect to work 50+ a week. Sat and Sun are overtime and aren't worked regularly. We have 8 paid holidays and 2 weeks (10 days) of shut down that is paid. I'll only accrue an additional 3 days of PTO this year, but that is something that will increase each year I'm employed. Just starting out, not including OT, this job pays slightly better than my previous job, which I did have to have a degree for.

My previous job was with the state. We had 14 paid holidays a year and earned 2 weeks of PTO. It was a 40 hour work week and nobody was authorized for OT. They tried a few times to get us to come in on a Saturday off the clock. Nobody ever did. I had always been told at previous places of employment, by management or HR, that for liability purposes, to never work off of the clock.

Also, I began working at 16, part time, and worked full time all the way through college.

6. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

To the OP: we here in the USA are proud and grateful to work all our lives and end up with little at the end. Didnt used to be that way but despite that we prefer to bust our heads thru the brick wall day after day and are damn proud of it. Unions only raise wages for the working man and we dont like that here, thats for sissies.

7. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Says who? Money does not come from God it is manufactured by us, its an abstraction, digits on a printout, beads on a string or whatever, if we are in so much trouble here then why are interest rates so low? Its a false argument.

Puritan thoughts about what is too much debt are one thing but the world economy still bets on the USA, again our borrowing rates are super low, lower than ever, and there is a reason for that. The reason is that there isnt much alternative, if you think we are out of control just look at the rest of the world.

So where is money going to go? Right here. Now that doesnt do anything for the little people here but that is another story,

8. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Hate to burst your bubble, but...

I watched unions take down the best job in our state, a copper mine. Shut down thirty years ago and took lot of people's lives down with it.

Flash forward to today. same mine is running again, non-union, and the people working there are the best paid in our area, bar none. Unionism makes a lot of people rich - inside the union - but does exceedingly little for the rank and file.

9. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

??????????????????????????????

10. doublee

doublee Tele-Meister

Best payed now, or better payed than before I wonder, I mean everything is going downhill wage wise, so its relative, better paid than the local Walmart? Maybe thats the only alternative. Just asking, and I mean to be respectful on your thoughts,

It just seems to me that the working man is complacent on losing ground all the time, like its a natural and deserved progression or something.

e

11. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

A 40 hour week is 2000 hours a year.
    This chart make no sense even including Holidays and vacations.

12. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Tele-Afflicted

What's a Pension?

Oh yeah, something my parents and grandparents had.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I work about 9-10 hours per week day. Sometimes I work in the evening. Sometimes I work on the weekend for a few hours. I'm on salary so the hours don't really matter. I enjoy my job and I'm proud of the results that I produce. I work until the work is done. I receive a bonus (or not) depending on the quality of my work. There are a number of critical measurements that only I am held responsible for. I'm not graded or measured with a group.....it's just me.

I've done the same type of work for 28 years now. In 28 years I have worked for 4 companies.

I worked for a farmer from the time I was 12 to 16. When I turned 16 I got a job 15 miles from home in a restaurant which meant that my parents let me use the spare car every day (I was crazy like a fox). I worked at the restaurant for 2 years and when I started college I played guitar in a band, worked at a music store and worked for a lawn service company. My junior and senior year of college I drove a forklift in a warehouse for a packaging company and I became fascinated by packaging machinery. I went to work for the same packaging company in sales upon graduating.

I think that I'm pretty typical of people who like to work and like to stick with something that they enjoy. Good things take time and focus.

I get 3 weeks vacation yearly. Sometimes I take less. Sometimes I take a little more. If I'm producing it doesn't matter if I take 4 extra days. My iPhone and iPad and laptop go wherever I go. If I'm skiing in Colorado and if someone needs a drawing or proposal or PowerPoint then I'll take 2 hours and do it. I don't "disconnect" for long no matter where I am.

We have 401k matching but saving for retirement and saving for my children's education is my responsibility and I embrace it with tenacity. Our health care is pretty good. Co-pays have risen but we plan and manage.

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If you only get 2 weeks holidays it is.

15. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

either way... too many people people skirting politics...

we've worked this one to death.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.