How much did you spend going down the Rabbit Holes in 2022?

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
For me it was around $850 spend on things such as speakers, tubes, strings, pickups, saddles and wiring harnesses. My endeavor was to make my FCS Telecaster and 65PRRI sound better than how they came from the (Fender) factory. Well, after around 9 months of Rabbit Holes, I am back to as-build on the telecaster (where most of the Rabbit Hole money was spent). Insofar as the 65PRRI. It has a new American voiced speaker (Jupiter 12LC P) vs the G12-65 that it came with.

So, what drove me to chase Rabbits? I got caught-up in a Monty Python scenario where I was searching for the Holy-Grail of sound. During my quest I learned that Quality doesn't have to be expensive and expensive is not always Quality. In the end, I came to realize that there's no one stand-a-lone Holy-Grail as there are just too many variables. What makes my tele or amp have that Holy-Grail sound, doesn't necessarily mean that it will also do the same for your guitar or amp.

Are there Rabbit-Holes for me in 2023? I'll let you know next year if I am still around to update this posting.
I was quite well behaved. I probably spent around $1000, all of that going towards two or three pedals, only one of which gets used regularly, so I'll likely end up selling the others. No need for more amps, and no need for more guitars

UserNotAvailable

Tele-Afflicted
r.h,

Attachments

• caudelconill_2.JPG
    caudelconill_2.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted

quoted:"Going Down The Rabbit Hole Is Just Procrastination In Disguise" from here >>> https://cubicletherapy.com/stop-going-down-rabbit-hole/

BOSS ME70 pedal 224.00
Bigbsy with Vibramate $225
Echoplex Delay Pedal $200
BOSS CS3 $100

for 2022, my Total $749.00 ~~~La vieja madriguera del conejo!
As to the part of the article on why we do it; for me (and I'm guessing a lot of others) it's wanting to be perfect insofar as sound and playability. There's a lot of "Wonderlands" with some very attractive "Rabbit Holes" to jump down. Procrastination, I guess, could lead to putting something off till something needed to be done, then, at that time jumping down "Rabbit Holes" to find a solution would most likely be an " Alice" trip!

guitarsophist

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
How much does the average hobby cost?

As a good rule of thumb, you should allocate 5% to 10% of your take-home pay for hobbies and recreational spending. For example, if you bring home $3,500 per month (after taxes), then you should plan to spend between $175 and $350 per month or $2,100. to $4200 @ $3500 month income

I used to but 4 Guitars a Year all around $1000 each.

once it got to 60 guitars I quit because I felt bad - but according to this study group , I'm still ok
This has no context. Well, actually, your context appears when I am replying, but not in your post (!?), which may be a TDPRI problem. Is "bethebudget dot com" really an authoritative source? It's troubling. Rabbit holes are by definition going beyond what is reasonable for the query. And hobbies don't necessarily cost money. This response is middle-class first world. There are lots of people who are lucky to have a guitar at all. Have you been hacked or something?

Frisco 57

Tele-Holic
I had to look back at this year's projects.

One last tele partscaster $750
A smaller pedalboard. $80
Misc. patch & power cables. $71
My favorite picks. $9
$910 Not bad, I was afraid it might be worse!

It's totally worth it but I wonder how much I would have spent if I didn't hang out here...

jedediahd

TDPRI Member
I spent about £30 on switch tips until I found the tip I liked for a 3-way Switchcraft toggle.

That's my smallest rabbit hole of several and there's still 2 months of 2022 left.
I might need to call upon the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.
That hand grenade going down the hole . . .
How much do they cost? May have to add that expense in. I know some of them bunnies "av great, viscious teef, like iss," but, anyway.
Do you remember how long to count? Could be important.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
$2,103.80 (I use Quicken, and I have a "Guitar" category).

The biggies were:

- Squire CV50s
- Washburn Guitar for acoustic lead
- Woodrow '55
- Boss DD-3T Delay
- Boss CS-3 Compressor

I'm done with pedals and electric guitars. I would like a Martin D-41 before it's too late.

Add $3K to to the total above. . . Martin 000-18.

IMG_3195.jpg

Kandinskyesque

Friend of Leo's
That hand grenade going down the hole . . .
How much do they cost? May have to add that expense in. I know some of them bunnies "av great, viscious teef, like iss," but, anyway.
Do you remember how long to count? Could be important.
And I shalt goeth thus in forward location for thirty imperial miles from my abode which is herein where I currently lay, to the cave wherein resides the Rabbit of Caerbannog.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/tomnadashan-mine

At which point I will utter the following utterance...

"And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying,
'O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy.'
And the Lord did grin.
And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large chulapas.
And the Lord spake, saying,
'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.
Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.
Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.
Five is right out.
Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
For me it was around $850 spend on things such as speakers, tubes, strings, pickups, saddles and wiring harnesses. My endeavor was to make my FCS Telecaster and 65PRRI sound better than how they came from the (Fender) factory. Well, after around 9 months of Rabbit Holes, I am back to as-build on the telecaster (where most of the Rabbit Hole money was spent). Insofar as the 65PRRI. It has a new American voiced speaker (Jupiter 12LC P) vs the G12-65 that it came with.

So, what drove me to chase Rabbits? I got caught-up in a Monty Python scenario where I was searching for the Holy-Grail of sound. During my quest I learned that Quality doesn't have to be expensive and expensive is not always Quality. In the end, I came to realize that there's no one stand-a-lone Holy-Grail as there are just too many variables. What makes my tele or amp have that Holy-Grail sound, doesn't necessarily mean that it will also do the same for your guitar or amp.

Are there Rabbit-Holes for me in 2023? I'll let you know next year if I am still around to update this posting.
Not sure, probly around $9000 I snagged a Gibson LP Standard, a Gretsch 6119 Tennessee Rose, a Gretsch 6120 Nashville, a Fender 75th Anniversary Tele, a Vox AC-15, a Carvin X-1 Tube Preamp,, a Carvin V112E closed back 1×12" cab, a Roadrunner gig bag, a DOD Envelope Filter 440, a DOD Overdrive Preamp 250 and a Boss Distortion DS-1.

20220401_130955.jpg
20220927_130515 (1).jpg

20220222_113523.jpg
20221009_160919.jpg
20220902_184141.jpg
20221104_152854.jpg
20220909_130317.jpg
FullSizeR(7).jpg
20220812_191737.jpg

Last edited:

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
After original post #36, I thought I would follow up and say I bought a loaded strat scratch plate. My spending on gear has dropped immensely after buying the pod go so I guess it has made me happy in more ways than one

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
It was my last year to buy stuff before I have to shut it all down to prepare for retirement. Forgive me.

An American made Banjo by an excellent builder in the deep south east U.S.A. $3800.00
The Banjo accessories, learning materials, etc. $600.00
A set of Fane speakers for a 4 X 12" cabinet. Close to $900.00
The empty 4 X 12 " cab. $700.00
Three delay pedals $860.00
A second A/DA vintage Flanger. $450.00
A JAM pedals Waterfall Chorus. $260.00
A second JAM pedals Red Muck mk.2. $230.00
Two additional compressors. $730.00
A second Mr. Black gold modified Shimmer pedal. $200.00
Two Dazatronix gain pedals. $370.00

All together around $9000.00

Next year and all years following will be zero. 👍

I guess I went out with a bang. :rolleyes:

WelhavenTW

Tele-Meister
This year:

* Traded my Noventa for a Reverend
* Traded my Ultra for an SG
* Sold my LP Jr and bought a Schecter
* Bought a brand new Reverend
* Bought a brand new Schecter
* Changed a pickup in my tele
*Bought two Gator Go-Pro gigbags (one for two guitars).
* Bought and sold a couple of pedals

Next year:
* Playing what I have
* Listen to the records I already own
* Saving money since everything is bloody expensive now, and I just bought a new house.