How much did you spend going down the Rabbit Holes in 2022?

Blues Power

Tele-Meister
not too much

all i purchased in 2022 were a few boxes, all got returned within the allowable period.
then Strings and an Area T615 for my tele bridge which i probably really didnt need
but it sounds good and gave me something to do that sunday

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for all the great posts (discovered I'm not alone in going down the Rabbit-Hole:)).

As noted, still two months left in 2022, so please update your post accordingly.

Also, Black Friday is coming up so there will be temptation.

Last edited:

cometazzi

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
$1600 for an LP and a partscaster

I didn't track it, but probably about $150 for a two-channel micro amp build.

$30 for two sets of strings for a 12-string.

Who knows how much in various electronic parts, but I haven't used them yet. I'm going to guess somewhere around $200 when you count all the stompbox switches and enclosures.

I think that's mostly it. I've got a lot of projects piled up from the last couple of years that I need to get working on, but I just don't have the time, strangely.

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I'm going to guesstimate under $1000. Let's see: I bought a pair of small Alto powered monitors on sale, a small sub which I've never powered up and really need to get familiar with, and a used Joyo American Sound.

No new instruments, although I'm seriously considering a Taylor Academy 22e acoustic in the near future. I have guitars I don't play much, and I'd rather trade them in on something I'd enjoy.

One other thing, I had a pickup or transducer on my fiddle that I never could get dialed in to my liking, so on the advice of the local music store I replaced it with a Fishman and so far could not be happier. Lower handling noise, sweeter overall tone despite my abysmal playing, and easier to EQ.

schoolie

Tele-Afflicted
I went down an acoustic guitar rabbit hole...It's so bad that I'm ashamed to give a number. I drive a Hyndai Elantra with leaking struts, and put my money in guitars I don't need.

Mowgli

Tele-Holic
Let me quote the late Tammy Faye Baker from the mid-1980s after she and her husband were on the precipice of crashing the infamous “PTL Club” - “It’s no secret. Heh, heh, heh… I like to shop. Heh, heh , heh… but I’m a bargain hunter!”

Being old provides one the opportunity to learn from the past more readily than younger folks. If you saved and invested wisely (and luckily) earlier in your life then you wait for buying opportunities. When economic downturns happen you hopefully will be in a position to buy items you always wanted… and buy them at a discount.

Beginning in 2009, during the early stages of the Great Recession, I began to buy things that I put off for decades… like a new car and a few vintage amps and nice used guitars at fire sale prices. Since the economy improved slowly I bought a good amount of inexpensive gear over the ensuing years.

In the past several years, those deals began to dry up quickly. In 2022 I bought a 1964 Supro Thunderbolt amp for $500. That’s it. No other purchases. I saw a lot of things I wanted but the prices were too high for my wallet. It’s too early to say if I landed in a rabbit hole on the Supro; right now, that price is a reasonable bargain… but time will tell!

1guy

Tele-Meister
With just over a month and a half to go, I'd say somewhere around 12...$1300 for the year.

I've had a few HNGDs and HNADs, over the last 6 months or so..

Copped a Fender Acoustic Electric + lil Fender amp. Got it used, but it was in nearly new condition. Changed the strings and she sounds amazing... half the time I don't even bother to plug her up.

Got my bucket list guitar...Fender Strat deluxe with the big headstock. It's transparent Sapphire blue with a mint pickguard...only waited 50 years to get it. Probably my current fave.

Got an early Christmas, birthday, Father's Day gift from my sonny...a Musicman John Petrucci Sterling... freakin beautiful axe!

I finally got a few tube amps...a Bugera V5 Infinium for my garage play spot and a Monoprice Stage Right 15 for the bdrm..LOVE em both and I credit the reviews they got on this board for my choices.

My Digitech processor is going out, I think, so I have an early stocking stuffer on the way next week...a distortion pedal to go along with my way..

I always try to have at least 3 or 4 packs of strings on hand, and I've changed out several sets, when I did some deep cleaning, a few months ago . So, I spent a bunch just in strings.

With the holiday coming, I may try to find another toy to occupy my extra time, as we shut down, at my job, for the end of the year...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220716_110908527.jpg
    IMG_20220716_110908527.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 7

Frodebro

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I've spent the last six months or so slogging my way through a full remodel of my kitchen. The gear purchases have been pretty nonexistent, but I did pick up some power tools along the way...

trandy9850

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Strymon Timeline
Strymon El Capistan
Strymon Riverside
Strymon Blue Sky
Wampler Ego Compressor
Free The Tone Silky Groove Compressor
Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb (Blonde)
Fender Tone Master Princeton Reverb
Victoria Royal
(2) Lovepedal Tchula
Lovepedal hand-wired COT 50
Lovepedal COT50/Eternity Stack
Wampler Ethereal
Lovepedal Gold Zendrive
Gibson ES-339
Epiphone Elitist ES-335
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
VooDoo Lab Medium Dingbat Powered pedalboard
Klon KTR

How much is that so far?😁

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Drunk Beaver’s Ivan Mazepa fuzz in transit from Poland.
Dogman’s Citrine Volcano (1 of 6 made) fuzz/distortion en route from VA.
I like what Lance has going at Dogman and Drunk Beaver does some really cool things with NOS electronics from Eastern Europe.

mfguitar

Friend of Leo's
I purchased a used Logan for around $600, and a new Logan for $1200. I recently added an Ibanez 80's artist that was $600. A new digital mixer as well as several acoustic guitars. I guess around $3500 in total but I do sell some things as well.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
It’s not a rabbit hole. I spent a long time not buying anything for myself so that my kids would have half a chance to pursue their own interests. For the most part, it worked.

So now, if I think there’s something that makes sense and I’ll just do it.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
In the past couple of weeks, I've added another $900 to my total. A new guitar for about $700 and a new pedal for about $200.