How much did you spend going down the Rabbit Holes in 2022?

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
While I a few guitar related things, mainly a few pedals and a $60 Monoprice Tele, the only he only real "rabbit hole" is a odd closeout GFS body that I'm having trouble getting to work to my satisfaction. I'm tempted to put it and the Burns style pickups I bought for it aside and attach the decent KMise neck to some other, more standard, body.

The bigger purchases I've had this year have been in woodworking tools. I've probably spend about $2000 there and I'm hoping to fit in a router table by the end of the year. But, with how things are, I may not be able to work that in.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
nice ....? if I unnerstan? like a theremin controller on a fuzz pedal ?
I casee/hear it now (imagine: doing the Pete Townsends windmill strumming to control the fuzz amount.
More limited than that..... the signal strength is the one hand and the fretboard the other one..... it sounds close to a theremin, with the pitfalls of needing a strong signal (volume on guitar all the way up).

There is a pedal that uses a foot controller optical sensor. But I didn't want that deep of a rabbit hole........

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
More limited than that..... the signal strength is the one hand and the fretboard the other one..... it sounds close to a theremin, with the pitfalls of needing a strong signal (volume on guitar all the way up).

There is a pedal that uses a foot controller optical sensor. But I didn't want that deep of a rabbit hole........
thank you my curiosity is answered.

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
New Epiphone EB 3 bass (sadly my Gibson EB 3 was stolen years ago) $350
New Epiphone hard case for EB 3 bass $100.00
New Acoustic 100w Bass amp $300
Half a dozen sets of strings $?
Pretty cheap year for me.

Ironwolf

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
About $450 on a CV Jazzmaster, $200 or so on spare tubes, and just over $3000 building a very fancy pedal board.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Nothing.

Gave away three guitars to relatives and friends. Sold a Ribbon microphone that was still new in the box from Christmas 2020. So I made $90.00 this year.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
For guitar I bought a total of a few sets of strings and a better neck rest thingy for changing strings.

Skiing would be the deep hole this year with more to come. My daughter and I have new skis waiting for bindings. The Boho season pass sale is later this month.

Wow, if I would add up home and real estate related. Replacing and repairs to flooring, windows and doors add up fast. The only thing not essential in that would be for one room choosing ceramic tile over LVP.

Then we come to having 3 kids in college at once for some serious expense. They contribute but so do we. They are fantastic kids doing well so I think that will be more investment than a rabbit hole.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
lets see, there's this one and that one and those and these and not to for get this or that, hmmm🙄 oh yeah can't forget about that either that one, it just wouldn't be fair. any way I'm still ahead in that it's finance by what I used to spend on cigarettes' price @1985 prices.. I haven't out spent the cigarettes' This is ignoring the cost estimated cost of the bar bill and the bottle of booze I had at home , so yeah
not in the whole yet.

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
I went down two rabbit holes this year. One, looking for a contoured bass to replace my Gretsch 2220 (which I love but became painful for me to play after damaging the nerves in my picking arm)... Thus:

Squier Mini Precision
Ibanez TMB100
Ibanez TMB30
Ibanez Mikro
Squier SS Jaguar Bass*

*finally found one that worked for me!! (the TMB100 is a keeper, too)

All told, in for a grand on those (not bad when you consider that was for five basses!). I will sell some of the runners up, but haven't done so yet.

Second rabbit hole: even though I don't use overdrive in my music, I became obsessed with finding a transparent OD that would work for my style. Started with an ODR-1, which I loved, but wanted to find something a little more usable beyond the bridge pickup. That led to

Wampler Belle... (not as smooth as the ODR-1)
Boss OD3 (Quite nice! Maybe not as sparkly as the ODR-1, but better on the middle and neck positions)

Anyhow, I'm done with both rabbit holes now. I don't really like being in them... They use up a lotta time and money. I might be kidding myself, but I honestly think I'm good with gear now. There's nothing else out there that tempts me except a PRRI or maybe a Tone Master Twin

or a DR

HolmfirthNJ

Tele-Meister
I accidentally bought a couple of secondhand guitars- a Tele identical to the one I already have except for the colour, and a Strat, even though I already have a Strat and I’m not really a Strat guy… but Fender PV pickup upgrades were well worth it, so all good (I just have two more guitars that I don’t really need).
More promising, it’s been the year of getting pedals that really are something great in themselves - SurfyBear Classic reverb tank and Maxon AD9 analogue delay.
I’ve just remembered, I also got a second secondhand Tweed Champ (the pointlessness of buying two of the same isn’t really a lesson I’m learning).
At least all of these things were purchased secondhand (except the SurfyBear and pickups).

kuch

Friend of Leo's

2011 fender am std tele
2004 USA G&L asat classic thinline
solid pine cab and grill for 65PRRI
eminence ga-10x(?) speaker for 65PRRI
keeley compressor pedal
catalinbread topanga burnside pedal
boss ge-7 equalizer pedal

not too bad.... still 2 months to go ;)

Last edited:

emptyminded42

TDPRI Member
Oh god, I don't even want to add it all up.

At least a $1k on my Jazzcaster build - I ended up buying two bridges, two sets of tuners, and now a second neck pickup (humbucker sized P90), control plate, switch, and pots. Plus the miscellaneous supplies and equipment like a Weller soldering station, solder, desoldering wick, solder flux, helping hands, and pushback wire...

Then there's the other >$1k on the PBass build and I ended up buying two pickguards because I didn't like how the first one looked.

And of course all the pedals I've bought - a SushiBoxFX Underground Accelerator tube preamp pedal, Sondery boost pedal, pedal power supply, lots o' cables, some picks and I'm going to scoop up a BNIB Monoprice 5W tube amp at lunch today for $100.

Yikes. I should probably take a break on guitar stuff for awhile but I not-subtley asked for the Squier Contemporary Jag HH for Christmas 😅

We'll see if Santa comes through this year or not.