How much did you spend going down the Rabbit Holes in 2022?

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
For me it was around $850 spend on things such as speakers, tubes, strings, pickups, saddles and wiring harnesses. My endeavor was to make my FCS Telecaster and 65PRRI sound better than how they came from the (Fender) factory. Well, after around 9 months of Rabbit Holes, I am back to as-build on the telecaster (where most of the Rabbit Hole money was spent). Insofar as the 65PRRI. It has a new American voiced speaker (Jupiter 12LC P) vs the G12-65 that it came with.

So, what drove me to chase Rabbits? I got caught-up in a Monty Python scenario where I was searching for the Holy-Grail of sound. During my quest I learned that Quality doesn't have to be expensive and expensive is not always Quality. In the end, I came to realize that there's no one stand-a-lone Holy-Grail as there are just too many variables. What makes my tele or amp have that Holy-Grail sound, doesn't necessarily mean that it will also do the same for your guitar or amp.

Are there Rabbit-Holes for me in 2023? I'll let you know next year if I am still around to update this posting.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
$2,103.80 (I use Quicken, and I have a "Guitar" category).

The biggies were:

- Squire CV50s
- Washburn Guitar for acoustic lead
- Woodrow '55
- Boss DD-3T Delay
- Boss CS-3 Compressor

I'm done with pedals and electric guitars. I would like a Martin D-41 before it's too late.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Every year I spend a fair amount of money on cheap gear/ accessories purchases, at small $$ increments- but boy, it adds up!

> it's a way I justify the fun of buying guitar stuff, all year long! " I gotta try this, it may be better...."
( cheap pedals, lots of strings for gigs, cheap small amps, cables, speakers)

I spent about $1800 last year ( including an amp) - sold some stuff on CL or go friends

keithb7

Poster Extraordinaire
New to me used Mixer Board $300
Used rack mount crossover $100
Dirt Pedal $35
Wireless Guitar System $75
Misc XLR Adaptors $20
Clip-On Yamaha Tuner $20

Gig income and amp repair incomes easily cover it all. I'm net positive. Not really rabbit hole stuff. PA maintenance and betterment. I need to make an effort to spend more on gear. I think another acoustic is in my future.

bowman

Friend of Leo's
I’ve been a very good boy this year. It helps that I already have more stuff than I need. My only real expense was when I was talking to the other guitarist in our band one day and we managed to convince each other that there definitely was going to be a tube shortage because of COVID and the war in Ukraine, and all our amps would be useless. It was pretty funny when, at our next rehearsal, we both admitted to buying about $350 worth of tubes right after the chat.

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
I ain't much of an accountant, but I don't really wanna know anyway.

Pressed for a guess I'd say around 6 Benjamins. Maybe a bit more :(

Mostly pedals, also some cables and a 12 pack of Extra Slinkys.

The sad fact is I still sound like me. Maybe one more fancy delay.

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
$140.
On a theremin Fuzz.

Nothing else was "rabbit hole".
$### with Shipping on a speaker.
I'd saved for awhile and dumped my guitar cash on a fender japan junior tele, ($##0 I think?) Then $##0 for the TV jones, I think $40 for the Bootstrap I'm the bridge, $40 between the 2 3ply mint guard material blanks, $60 in pots, bridge, saddles.
So my wife probably thinks the answer is $####+, but I'm frugal, saved money from my bonus, sold stuff, and only used mileage money from work on the thermin fuzz. Which is also the only thing I didn't really "need" for my goals this year. As soon as I can figure out how to control the thing I'll post a thread on it.

So like I said. $140.
;)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Thank you for this!

I didn't buy guitar stuff for nearly 40 years, so I have a lot of catching up to do. 😂

Because of my own financial shortcomings (just never made much $$),
I waited for about 10 years ( until Summer 2020) to buy an Epiphone SG ( '66 style), after falling in love with a friend's Gibson '61 SG RI.
I just could not afford anything but strings for years.
I have all cheap stuff, but pretty good/everything gets played

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Ordered one of these today for no reason. Really, no reason. But it sounds cool.

I don’t know what that is but I NEED it in my life!

Whatever that dissonant ringing sound is is glorious!

And there’s a matte pink one!

Edit: you’re such a bad influence….

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Around $3,000. Much of it trying to choose speakers for a newly aquired 2x12 SF cab for my Bandmaster. I planned on moving a pair of Altec 417-8C speakers into it, but they are getting tired and can't handle too much power before farting out. I don't want to destroy them as they still sound really sweet with a lower powered amp. So, down the rabbit hole I went....and still digging a hole for myself.

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Because of my own financial shortcomings (just never made much $$),
I waited for about 10 years ( until Summer 2020) to buy an Epiphone SG ( '66 style), after falling in love with a friend's Gibson '61 SG RI.
I just could not afford anything but strings for years.
I have all cheap stuff, but pretty good/everything gets played

Cheap sure is a relative term. I paid $250 for a '69 Strat in 1978. I paid $450 for a new Squire CV50s in 2022. The Squire plays every bit as good as the Strat.