1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How much did you get your baja tele for?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jdimitri, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jdimitri

jdimitri Tele-Meister

Hey all

I'm from Australia and I'd really to get my hands on a baja

Tried it out at a music shop and i immediately knew i had to have it

The neck was the most comfortable i've ever had in my hands, the pickups sounds incredible and weren't too trebly and the fourth position is definitely useable for some rock n roll
    The S-1 switching might be useful too if i get a bit more into funk

Unfortunately.. it was $1800 (~US$1700.. i know, mental) and i can't afford that

So I looked for a used blonde one with not much luck.. There was one that ended on ebay a few minutes back but he wouldnt ship here

Then i think i might be able to get a friend to buy me a new one

How much should i be expecting to buy it for? Most online sites are selling it for $799.. but i'd like to think walking into a store will give me a better price

Cheers

2. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

For a while Baja's were moving pretty cheaply from the likes of Guitar Center big box music sores here in the US. But that has tapered off from what I've seen lately. They were going for under 500 bucks for a bit, now they are back up to the 600 -700 dollar range again. The ma and pa shops around Seattle are ranging from 600-800.

I think if I was in the market now I'd just go up a little more and get either a 52 Hotrod which I've really been impressed with quality on, or try and talk them down to 600 out the door for a Baja. There just aren't really any other Tele's Ive liked much lately other than those and maybe the MIM Esquire's for$683.00 at my local dealer.

The G&L ASATs Tributes are the best Bargains in the market right now for $429 bucks - they just can't be beat for the money versus quality/playability and sound right off the rack.

I had Hamilcaster over the other night as he bought an AC15 from me and let him play the ASAT and it had noticeably more pop than the 60's classic I had for comparison - anyone know why that is? I mean the ASAT really had pop to it compared to the Fender. Is that just a pick-up thing?
    Or is it a combination of factors. Both Hamilcaster and I were trying to figure out why the ASAT had so much more pop to it.

3. hugo

hugo Former Member

Okay, are you ready to have your mind blown?? Now don't forget I live in Canada and we like to pay through the nose. LOL.
    I paid 899.00 + tax. Yessiree!!! But do you know what?? I would have paid more. The finish is absolutely to die for. I mean it's the sweetest blonde that I have ever seen. I've seen other Baja's before but not as sweet as the finish on this one. The fit is perfect, absolutely perfect!!! It was the first guitar I didn't have to even think about. I walked into the gs and it was the first guitar I saw, right on the end of the rack. I was just in the store the day before and bought some stuff. I was actually just going in to ask about a guitar that I was interested in and too hang awhile. I said to the dude "where did that come from, I was just here yesterday?" He just told me it just came in. I went over picked it up, inspected it and felt the neck in my hand. Now, I have small hands and it has quite a chunky neck but there was something about it that felt right. I played it (well, as well as I can. lol) and walked over to the counter, handed him my debit card and it now sits in my house. It's the only guitar that I've had that I knew was right even before I played it. I also have an American Deluxe Tele which cost me 1350.00 and it still doesn't have the feel that the Baja has. What is it with that guitar?? It's got some kind of funky mojo or somethin'. I have quite a few guitars now and that is so far my numero uno!
    You know, I wish we had big box stores here in Canada, we might get better deals if we did.

4. Scottlr

Scottlr Tele-Meister

Yep, that neck is addictive, isn't it? I was looking for an AVRI 52 and found a Baja, and I never looked back. Right at $800 in Iowa.

5. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I ordered a blonde last Saturday for $640 (20% off day at Sam Ash). Of course they didn't have any in stock - but they allowed me the discount even though it had to be ordered.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It was wild there for a while. Guitar Center was selling Bajas, often real nice ones, for $ 460. And some bystanders got nervous and sold their used ones fairly cheap during that time as well.
    Now that it was GC's discontinuance of the Baja , not Fender's ( And was I to blame for the misunderstanding? I dunno anymore. ) and supply and demand have flattened out, used prices have probably come back up.
    I will tell ya a few weeks back I saw another NOS at GC and bargained for it like I had before on the others, and the price they needed (store cost back up high) was in the end higher than I'd paid for my first sparkling new one 9 months ago.
    That would be a plan, tho. I understand if you can buy a used one at less than $ 1,000, you can avoid all kinds of tariffs and extra tack-ons. Play any ones you can find there, then make your move on a stateside one.

7. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

was the baja you played in allans music? i played that last sunday and loved it, i also don't have the cash to blow on it though :(

8. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    £375 GBP.

I consider that a bargain, it's a really great guitar. My all time favourite Tele (so far). :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. AjayTele

AjayTele Tele-Afflicted

Hi, I bought a Baja Tele brand new from the USA on eBay for A$1037.00 including postage to OZ. That was when the USD was a bit more expensive than it is now, so you should be able to get one in for under $1000 and therefore not have any hassle with import GST or Duty.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

It's funny, I was actually playign it a few hours ago - just got the urge to play it - and they are great Teles.:cool:

10. pc

pc Tele-Meister

$600 used from GC about three weeks ago. It's about a year old (and with after-market guard added by previous owner). Best neck on a Tele ever IMO.

[​IMG]

11. Unkie Al

Unkie Al Tele-Holic

I bought mine for DKR 5200 ($1100 or $700) a bit steep but it's worth every penny!!!
    I love it to bits, an instant #1, the neck and the pickups are the best i've tried on any Telecaster!

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Same here, paid about that price, most stores i phoned the answer was Bawhat???
    So when i found on that had one in stock, couldnt resist

13. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

I agree the neck on the Baja is the best of any off the rack Tele's I've ever played. So is the neck on the 52 Hotrod. I haven't been able to stop thinking about that Baja neck since the last time I picked one up about a week ago. Everytime I go to the store I grab the Baja and just want it so much, but have a tough time with the price now. Had I never heard or seen the prices that were being paid earlier I'd prolly have one by now. But now that I've seen those ealier blow out GC prices it's hard for me to buck up.

14. Fuel

Fuel TDPRI Member

Here is mine:

Bought it for about 6000,- norwegian `kroner` = 1170 USD...

[​IMG]

15. BLACKCAT69

BLACKCAT69 Friend of Leo's

The prices in Canada are higher because the lower value of the CAD vs. the USD at the time the product was in R/D. Because the CAD is = to or + the USD these days it may give us some price breaks down the road if this keeps up for any length of time.

Re: Baja....glad to hear so many like it. (Grumblings of GAS in my brain....)

16. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Just bought mine for $799 - I could have walked out with the desert sand, but I had to order the blonde -

I am cringing with an "is it here yet?" jones, but I think will be well worth the wait. The thick neck was awkward to hold at first, but once I played it, as they say..."like buddah..." (butter, not buddha), well, maybe buddha would play one - photoshop anyone?

17. jdimitri

jdimitri Tele-Meister

Nah, the one at Allan's was sold, so i went to cranbourne music and gave that one a spin

Argh.. all those bajas and none are mine

If i can't find one in the next two weeks i'll probably order a G&L instead..

Planning to sell any of yours boris?

18. Gibfenderson

Gibfenderson TDPRI Member

I sent one down to the my girlfriend in Adelaide and put it on OZ ebay. I had a hard time selling it. No one knew what it was. I barely broke even on it.

Guess timing is everything.

19. jdimitri

jdimitri Tele-Meister

I think i've found one from a dude here!

20. soflphillyfan

soflphillyfan TDPRI Member

$568, $602 shipped on Ebay a month ago. 06 model. Not a bad price but it does need some tweaking.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.