How much amp do I need?

Jimclarke100

Friend of Leo's
If you are still at the learning/toes in the water stage, try a Behringer BDI 21. Under 30 quid and just enriches your bass tones even in to a cheap amp, making them way more inspiring.
I’m only really a guitar player who picks up bass when needed. However, I use mine direct to a pa or my acoustic amp and it’s good enough I don’t have any desire or need to go and buy a bass amp.

noname_dragon

Tele-Holic
Loudness is one thing, good tone is another. Myself, I like clean clear and powerful bass tones. Some guys want distortion in their sound and you can add that to a great clean tone if you want, but you can't clean up a muddy, farty sound. Don't skimp... I recommend solid power in the 300 to 800 watts range, and a solid tuned bass cab, both of which can be found used. Personally, I like a 1x12 or 1x15 Avatar bass cab up on a road case, pointed at my body so I can hear and feel it. A used GK head will take you far.
Maybe the notes you play will be subjective, but you will sound great playing them.

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
My main question is less "which amp is best" as I do plan to try out several brands and models and see which I enioy most, but more "what sort of power will I need"? I'm currently looking to gain some semblance of bass skill just playing at home but hope to move towards jams and theoretically gigging - though I wouldn't mind that being handled by a lineout into a PA.

Just an FYI,

My Fender Rumble 200 Combo (15" speaker and horn) weighs less than my Workingman 4004 Head!!
For bass you need 200-300 watts to make sure you have enough power for a variety of gigs both indoor and outdoor. The Fender Rumble Bass 200 is really nice. Peavey also made/makes some really good bass amps. Just my personal preference, but I'd go with a 15" speaker instead of two 10"s. The 15 inchers have a great sound and seem to be more durable and I seen a coupla 10" bass speakers blow over the years but not any 15 inchers. When I play bass on a gig I use a 2015 Peavey Max 115 300 watt 1x15" combo. It weighs only 50 lbs. but it delivers the goods night after night and has never let me down. I've seen 'em for $160 used and $250 new.

PVMax115.jpg

Hey_you

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Only picture I could find. I'll have to take another. I have the Reeves 4-10" and 15" cabs. I play my 6-string guitars through it often.

Attachments

• P7300001.JPG
    P7300001.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 9

nedorama

Tele-Holic
Buy used for the best bang for your buck, as you'll find you can get a better amp for less than new. As people have traded to lighter rigs, if you have a dolly board or a caster, the older heavier ones sound great and you may get a deal. I'd go with a minimum 100w, preferably 200w solid state.