How much a refretting changes the worth of a 73 Tele

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Nasty. But regarding the pale new finish, why not add a few drops of tint?

I tried what I had around and even ordered some powdered stuff, but it only clumped in the wipe-on poly I wanted to use. Obviously only took a trace of the darkest stains I had as well. I wanted to stick with poly because the neck and body were poly. Were I to do it over again I would have spent more time trying to find a tinted poly. I still could apply a few of overcoats if I find some. My biggest concern was getting it playable again without significant damage. I have since moved on to other projects - in rosewood!

I had an entire article I was going to post - complete with pix - about what NOT to do with such a project. It is all ready to go, but no interest on my end. I lived it.

Last edited:

shovel80

TDPRI Member
That is what I was quoted by a very prominent luthier who specializes in vintage instruments. I ended up doing it myself. If you can get a perfect job for $150, go for it. But I would want to see some examples of those 70's necks that were done. They are the worst. The combination of slide in/out frets and HEAVY poly applied OVER the frets make removal a challenge. Heating the frets enough while avoiding scorching is very tricky. There is usually more poly build-up on the nut side of the fret than the bridge side. I would do it again, but not for less than $500. My time was worth way more than $150, including materials, cutting a new nut, and setup. That was the $800 quote.

In fact, I actually bought a used MIM 70's Thinline reissue neck and used that for a while until I decided I could do the job myself. This is another option for people who are reluctant to refret a vintage neck. Just remove the neck, store it, and buy a replacement. That was Leo's plan.

The first picture is the final result as I was unable to tint my poly to match the vintage color. My problem is I needed to remove all of the finish to properly level the fingerboard because of the chipping. The fret end shows how deep the poly was piled on. It may have also been an accumulation of poly after several levelings. The remaining picture shows the type of chipping you can get when trying to slide the frets out. Experience minimizes, but doesn't eliminate this problem. So the price you pay will likely have something to do with the quality of final result.

BTW, the frets were described by the seller as "good". Since they obviously were shot, I got a $350 refund on the selling price. It wasn't enough. It took a considerable amount of time to do that fret job.
that's a nice Job!

MARICOPAA

TDPRI Member
I have a 73 Tele in excellent condition. Basically it only has fine scratches on the back. Not really noticeable. I brought it into a shop to have it cleaned up, I don't know
why, it really didn't need it but I'm anal. The tech talked me into having it refretted. Without knowing much I said sure. Now I want to sell it and I know the refretting will affect the price I just don't know how much.
This is what he installed:
#152 fret
Width .092
Crown .048

look forward to some replies
thanks
john
I have a 73 Tele in excellent condition. Basically it only has fine scratches on the back. Not really noticeable. I brought it into a shop to have it cleaned up, I don't know why, it really didn't need it but I'm anal. The tech talked me into having it refretted. Without knowing much I said sure. Now I want to sell it and I know the refretting will affect the price I just don't know how much.
This is what he installed:
#152 fret
Width .092
Crown .048

look forward to some replies
thanks
john

10/9/21 (John Lennon),

Intellectually to replace wear part like your frets should be an improvement….your guitar has years more of real playability….should increase the value by some percentage of the cost of the refret!

However….in the vintage market a refret of a 1955 Stratocaster could diminish the value by as much as a half depending the other pros/cons of the instrument…just the truth!

My #1 is my sunburst ‘55 Hardtail Strat…been all over the world with me..a myriad of tours, sessions, rehearsals, jams and whatnot! She’s been refretted a few times since 1970 when I got her…beat to hell and I love every dent, ding, scratch I put in her…she’s a great playing and sounding workhorse!

No-way she would have been the reliable friend she has without wear maintenance!

Playing…PLAYING…the holy heck out of your guitars is waaaay more a win than letting them sit in their cases or displays.

I say if you LOVE your guitar/bass….and you rely on your favorite for helping get your feelings out to your audience(s)….then replace repair as needed….the value of a loyal friend (your instrument) in true working order is FAAAAR more valuable to the money you would have had from leaving your friend ‘stock’ or ’original’!

=============>

capitalbear

Tele-Meister
10/9/21 (John Lennon),

Intellectually to replace wear part like your frets should be an improvement….your guitar has years more of real playability….should increase the value by some percentage of the cost of the refret!

However….in the vintage market a refret of a 1955 Stratocaster could diminish the value by as much as a half depending the other pros/cons of the instrument…just the truth!

My #1 is my sunburst ‘55 Hardtail Strat…been all over the world with me..a myriad of tours, sessions, rehearsals, jams and whatnot! She’s been refretted a few times since 1970 when I got her…beat to hell and I love every dent, ding, scratch I put in her…she’s a great playing and sounding workhorse!

No-way she would have been the reliable friend she has without wear maintenance!

Playing…PLAYING…the holy heck out of your guitars is waaaay more a win than letting them sit in their cases or displays.

I say if you LOVE your guitar/bass….and you rely on your favorite for helping get your feelings out to your audience(s)….then replace repair as needed….the value of a loyal friend (your instrument) in true working order is FAAAAR more valuable to the money you would have had from leaving your friend ‘stock’ or ’original’!

=============>
Oh! Do we know some stuff you're referring to, as like recordings? Would be nice to hear that '55 Hardtail Strat. :)