How much a refretting changes the worth of a 73 Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by coltrane58, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

If there are divots that can’t be leveled-out, it’s refret time. Unless it’s somebody else’s divot on the 1st fret from playing the g# on an E maj chord and you never play in E maj.

2. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I recently had my '69 Strat appraised. I thought I had a good idea of what it was worth, but I was off $3,000. Gruhn Guitars is world renowned and will turn a straight forward appraisal around in about 48 hours ($75). https://guitars.com/

slimfinger likes this.
  3. Gardo

Gardo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would be a lot more interested in a regretted guitar than in one in need of a refret

Seasicksailor, sonicsmitty and Boreas like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If the work is professional quality it will only increase the value. Won’t decrease. Nobody wants a vintage guitar that isn’t playable even if they are just a collector because playability affects cost.

I assume you don’t have the original strings haha. Get it done by a pro.

David C likes this.
  5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

We're talking a 73 Tele here. A re-fret isn't going to change the value. Anyone who claims it does is only trying to beat the price down further. Beside, 73 Teles just aren't worth that much that it matters in the first place. If it were a 72, it might be a little different.

pippoman and David C like this.
  6. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I think it's time to bite the bullet and make it back into a guitar you feel like picking up and playing. They're just frets after all...

7. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My 73 came with a 72 neck. I sent for a fender replacement neck. Rosewood USA 600.00 Bolted it on, took the original put it in the box and put it away.

8. jfiffik

jfiffik TDPRI Member

I'm so glad you asked this question... My 76 needs frets bad. Lots of good feedback here so yes, I'm taking the plunge! I'll never sell it so I don't know why I put it off for so long.

BelmontBluesMan and Blue Bill like this.
  9. Bearston

Bearston TDPRI Member

I wouldn't re-fret this guy, a quality fret dressing will give you plenty of life before at least 2 additional dresses. Before re-fretting.

Boreas and BelmontBluesMan like this.
  10. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I wouldn’t think it would diminish the value at all, at least it wouldn’t for me. I’m fairly hard on steel frets and love the feel of a fresh re-fret as long as the tech or luthier knows what he’s doing. Not all re-frets are equal. I had a 95 Strat Plus re-fretted with jumbo stainless frets a year or so ago and it’s easily the best playing Strat I’ve ever owned; even compared to my Suhr Classic (actually, I sold the Suhr and I do miss it). It cost me about $400+ including a great setup and to and fro shipping, but it was money well spent. I’ve played it a lot and it shows zero wear, so I’m going SS on everything moving forward. Aperio in Atlanta did my fret job.

11. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

No offense to the op, but I was thinking the same thing. On a pre-65 the frets would have to be completely worn out for me to have a re-fret done, but if it needed it and I was actually gonna play it vs. put it on display, it would get the attention it deserved. I would re-fret. It’s called maintenance.

Btw, I’m not a collector. So, for a 70s and up Tele, a re-fret would be a no brainer if it needed one.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2021
  12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

I had a DALI, could never keep it in tune. I just used around the campfire, where everybody was drunk anyhow.
    looked real pretty and long as you played soft nobody noticed the drifitng, finally glued a couple dowel rods on the neck and bridge and changed it into a slide guitar. still looks real purdy though..

Telekarster and JL_LI like this.
  13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Joining the chorus.
    Refretting a guitar is like putting good tires on a car.
    You just gotta have em’ if you’re going to use it.
    I’d just make sure your repairman/luthier has a good reputation for good work.

Boreas likes this.
  14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

If you're doing stainless, I'd go with period correct. I have a neck with stainless wire that is 7.25"-9.5" compound with vintage 6230 wire and it plays beautifully.

Boreas likes this.
  15. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

I think the real question here is how do ****ty frets affect your playing. If you bought it just to mark it up and sell it again, leave it like it is. If you actually want to play it and enjoy it for the instrument as it is, it's has to have proper frets, hopefully bigger than the ones it came with, otherwise regular playing will have you shoveling out another $500+ before long.

16. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Road trip!

Fatlip and Boreas like this.
  17. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

You mean, compared to having the original frets, worn down, with divots?

18. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nasty. But regarding the pale new finish, why not add a few drops of tint?

Boreas likes this.
  19. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Do you like fender?

20. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

When it come to re-rets, I say take it to the best you can find. It is a skill set unto it's own and shouldn't be done on the cheap. It's a worthwhile investment. As far as a vintage guitar with worn frets, I never worry about it's collectors value. Any guitar that doesn't play well due to worn frets is just another piece of **** to me regardless of what some collector thinks of it's monetary value. First and foremost it is an instrument to perform music, not something to adorn your walls with.

Boreas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.