How modern shopping sometimes happens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Your contradictions are crashing into each other here. It's wrong for government to bail out a business, regardless of whether it's in the public interest or not, but its ok for government to actively work against businesses that have built their own market through competition because its "more fair." Government shouldn't prop up corporations, it should prop up the little guys. Am I reading that right?

If businesses have access to the internet, they have the means to create their own digital markets.

We build a road from point A to point B. Then Walmart says, wow, look at all that traffic. Let's build a Superstore. And Flo and the girls say, "hey, I think it's time we quit our jobs and open that beauty salon we've always wanted to have. There's a vacant storefront right next to that Walmart being built off the expressway."

In essence, we've cut the river into the land (roads and infrastructure) and savvy people identified the opportunity and built ships to navigating the channel. Other people hired those ships to move their goods, etc, etc. Sorta like the way the internet works.

What you are suggesting is that not only do we need to build the road with public funds, but we should also construct the superstore too.

I am definitely no captain of industry so when it comes to making mountains of money, I'm pretty blind to the next great idea in commerce. But I gotta say, I'm not really feeling the Bern here. But hey, have fun storming the castle. Pack a sweater. ;)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  2. JuneauMike

Just curious, how old are you?

3. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

No. I think government has a role in protecting the economy. Sometimes that means it supports companies that need it. If a hurricane wipes out businesses, the government offers assistance rather than let companies/employees get wiped out financially. There are plenty of ways that government, when its functioning properly, can help business and culture. The internet itself is a prime example of how government can create economic opportunity.

I don't disagree. Look, digital markets are a new thing. They've never really existed before. As a society, we're trying to wrap our heads around that reality. I'm arguing that private companies should not be able to control markets and commerce. That's the government's job. Ensure and protect a fair market place, not a privatized one. If companies create markets that control commerce from a narrow interest and shut out other market players, then the government has to step in. The US tried company stores and company scrip a long time ago, thankfully the public rejected that nightmare.

Yawn, same tired Alex Jones babble ;)

stevemc likes this.
  4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Interesting timing for this conversation. I'm reading John Perry Barlow's autobiography, and am currently in the part where he describes the formation, founding and work of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Would agree with your statement, but it would include not just how technology impacts perceptions of the world, but also health and well being. Of course perceptions are intimately tied into a person's health and well being. Can't help but think about a documentary about cell phone technology a friend saw while in Europe called "Thank You For Calling" but can't go into that here.
    Technology is completely altering the very fabric of our lives, yet most seem oblivious to this.

Toast likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

In what way do you think we are oblivious to it? Even in a guitar forum we have endless discussions about how technology is "completely altering the very fabric of our lives." But then again, so did fire and agriculture. It's neither all good or all bad, but it is different.

Ah, yes. Bailouts. I like it.

Uh, they aren't new. If you are over 50 then you remember when they started. If you are under 50, you probably don't remember it being any other way. And even when they were new they weren't really new. Open air markets have existed for centuries. That's really what it is, only on a larger scale.

They don't. And when they do, we step in. Amazon doesn't control commerce, they are just really good at selling people the stuff they want for a price they are willing to pay. If "too big to fail" is anathema to you, then why isn't "too successful to exist" just as repugnant?

When you decide that the proletariat should spin the wheel each week and pick a fat cat corporation to get chopped off at the knees you have left the world of "free markets" and entered the arena of envy.

These aren't tired platitudes, its just common sense. It comes with age.

6. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

Fair enough. I'll let forum readers decide for themselves which argument suits their temperament. There's no reason to rehash it over and over. However, if there is anything specific in your arguments that you want me to address or feel I need to respond to better, let me know and I'll try to cover it.

JuneauMike likes this.
  7. JuneauMike

Nope, I'm good. Thanks. :)

Toast likes this.
  8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Who said you were included in that when you said "we"? You included yourself, that's on you. Many people are quite oblivious, most don't care about the effect technology has on their brain chemistry, overall health, their local communities. Some are not, but ask most of the people you know about net neutrality, about how phone and tablet software ("apps") affects their dopamine, or how the internet has changed local retailers. The list goes on.

You perceived those comments as bad, it appears. That's also on your end. Technology has some good results and some bad results, but the deleterious effects are the ones that need the most attention.

Just because some here are aware of these effects doesn't mean all are, and as well, that awareness may be very limited or specialized for some.

9. JuneauMike

10. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Ok... slow down a bit guys. Starting to get a little personal.

imwjl and JuneauMike like this.
  11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

@Toto'sDad

Found it!

No one cares... but I knew I had this thing around somewhere. Mail ordered it when I was in middle school, then sharpened it with my dad’s tools. I’m hen threw it into every tree in the back yard for the next several months. It’s still really sharp on the points.

74C69A73-E346-4161-839F-32F045A7E429.jpeg

SolidSteak likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Cool! If you have a whole sack full of them babies, you'll be able to fend off any marauding kilt wearing wannabe Scotty boys in your neighborhood! They KNOW who they are! :D

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  13. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

On Target, the stock price and P/E ratio are telling me the firm and walk in retail are not as dead as many think.

More and more I like sellers who show local inventory in stock. Except for Whole Foods I don't generally shop at Amazon doesn't really do that.

For the major appliance we just bought no one with brick and mortar presence did an outstanding job the way my wife and kid just complemented an old school brick and mortar bike shop. Who does a good job will ultimately win and I believe your phone showing local inventory will be part of that.

14. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

That reminds me of when I was 20-something and bought a set of throwing knives to take camping. After a few beers and some Wild Turkey, the knives all disappeared into the woods, never to be seen again. I was literally throwing my money away. I should have used a backstop!

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

There was a story on NPR just a few days ago. They applauded Target’s new rapid ship program that can put Target products on your doorstep as fast as Amazon Prime. Target also has online ordering for local pickup. (You shop on your iPad or laptop or phone) Your purchases are bagged and waiting just in side the store of your choice.

Year to date 2019 Target sales are up 17% over 2018. They have adapted well and they’re doing well.

As far as Amazon is concerned, there is a mega Amazon distribution center 50 miles from our house. I can get everything from underwear, tools, lightbulbs and guitar straps next day from that warehouse via Amazon Prime. The prices are lower and I only give up the online shopping time and the stuff is on our front step the next day.

Our three kids now live in three separate States. If we choose to buy and send something to any of them we can typically make it appear the next day via Amazon. I know the brand and size of dress shirts, pants, underwear etc that I wear. I wouldn’t get in my car and drive all over Milwaukee to buy a pair of Dockers. If you want to drive all over town to find a pair of straight front, slim fit, dark grey dockers in exactly your size then have a great day. :) I’d rather be at home mowing my lawn or helping my wife make dinner. Sometimes I play guitar.

Amazon is a time machine for busy folks. It gives you time.

I’m ranting. Sorry. I like Amazon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.