How modern shopping sometimes happens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

The girl at the snack bar.

Target buys the shirts, distributes them to regional distribution centers and from there they are shipped to store 1, 2, and 3 through their supply chain. "Fulfillment" deals with Amazon also get, well, fulfilled.

Back at the home office, executives are watching very closely the sales volume figures from brick-and-mortars vs. online. As they note how much more comfortable their customers are with just going to them via Amazon, they are starting to ask themselves "do we really need 3 stores in Nashville?" "If so, how much stock do we really need to maintain?" "Hmm. Less foot traffic, less need for a snack bar, right?" And so on and so on.

Meanwhile, the girl who dropped her baby off at mom's house a little early this morning because she remembered that all the hot dogs for that day didn't get pulled from the walk-in freezer last night, doesn't suspect a thing.

Target gets the sale. Amazon gets the shipping (btw, there is no such thing as "free" shipping. It's a placebo). And the girl at the snack bar is listening to the Slurpee machine drone on and wondering why Wednesdays are so slow anymore.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    drlucky and beach bob like this.
  2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

While Amazon is not to blame entirely, they have been largely responsible directly and indirectly for the changing face of retail. Over the last few years, brick and mortar have suffered, and I like being able to deal with someone face to face if there's a problem or issue. So I've quit buying from Amazon. No, it won't change the world, but to make an effort to contribute to keeping physical shops going is worth it to me. As well, there's a great deal that Amazon does that I don't care to be party to.

I'd rather call around and see if a store has what I need, and go get it, or have it shipped to the store if the local one doesn't have it in stock. As well, I go to the local hardware store instead of Home Despot or Blowe's whenever possible (and it's not always possible) as well as the local music stores, and so on.

3. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

Yeah, I don't like that they screw their associates (or whatever their called) over all the time, as I've been told. I was talking to an Amazon seller a while ago and, according to him, if an Amazon seller finds a good product niche and starts getting orders with decent volume, Amazon simply starts selling the same item and pretty much cuts the mom and pop seller out of the loop. To be honest, I think we're all still figuring out the impact technology is having on our lives (including our thought-lives). As time goes on, I think we're going to see, perhaps even demand, some form of governance over technology to ensure the integrity of our economy and our ability to make money fairly.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Many of the stores make it ridiculously difficult to see the actual physical in-store inventory on their online site. They are trying to push everyone to order whatever online and have it show up 'in a few days' at the store when the reason I want to go to that particular store is I need that item right now. I'll drive twenty minutes to get it rather than wait for a few days. I've been caught a few times arriving at the store, "I need this, where do you keep them?" "Sorry, that's only an online item" "Doh! They got me again!"

As for Target, I saw this a while back. Apparently this guy worked at Target HQ.

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

Web (Target) and distribution center wins & local stores suffer.Pretty soon no more brick and mortar:(

I love it when the sales staff say "have you tried online?"

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Sometimes you just have to hide while you're doing your wash.

7. JuneauMike

This is awesome. Wow.

8. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

When I was younger, I didnt get my dad at all, my dad would buy and only wear one brand, one style, one color.. He has like 100+ white t-shirts and he wears them as under shirt for work, house shirt, work shirt, sleeping shirt, do whatever shirt.. He also wears one brand, one style, white long-sleeve dress shirt for work, and one brand blue slacks..

When I looked at my closet, guess what, I have Target house-brand black T-shirts (white gets dirty right away)... blue slacks and countless uniqlo white long-sleeve dress shirts for work.. my dad may have influenced my wardrobe choices, but I see it clearly now.. the older I get, the less time I wanna fuss with my clothes, I wear the same colors for work, church, or do whatever that needs dressing up, and just put on a blue coat for formal attires.. sort of my uniform.. I know l look good in these colors and brand and have lost interest in trying out different brands.. whatever works, I stuck with it.. I just wear all black t shirts, shorts or joggers and rubber shoes during summer weekends..

good thing uniqlo has a LOT of stock always and never runs out of stock.. but those Target T-shirts though...

9. JuneauMike

Heh, just so I understand your point: Many of the posts here lament the fact that Amazon is more convenient and at times cheaper than local mom-and-pop stores, and they have a greater selection. It is a common complaint, and I've experienced it firsthand myself. So your implied solution is for the government to take over Amazon and have, what, TSA run it?

Cause in the great ecosystem of our commerce network, TSA is basically a professional middleman. They literally stand between the consumer and the thing he wants, groping him inappropriately.

And you are against middlemen, if I recall. Not sure I see the logical conclusion there.

drlucky and beach bob like this.
  10. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I’ve had a similar Target issue, but with Evolve undies. For, uh, medical reasons they were the only ones I can wear without significant discomfort. A few years ago I started stockpiling them, knowing at some point they will be no more.

Sure enough, last week I was at our recently renovated Target. No Evolve brand. Nada. Zilch. Not sure what I’m gonna do when I run out.

11. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

13. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

I don't know if I have a solution, but I have suggestions. I think Craigslist performs an incredibly valuable market function. I don't see why we couldn't have more non-profit or government operated internet infrastructure. The type of infrastruture that facilitated commerce for mom and pops and the big guys. Instead of a few corporate entities operating and controlling the marketplace in their own interest (even having the power to decide what products and what price they can be listed for), there could easily be public commerce sites that performed the same function. I'm thinking of government internet servers/websites/post offices that perform functions in the same way airports do. There doesn't have to be a takeover of Amazon, just build the public site and let Amazon survive on its own.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  14. JuneauMike

Amazon doesn't set prices in a dictatorial fashion or in a vacuum. Consumer activity (and inactivity) has more influence then the whims of Jeff Bezos. And it doesn't seem to be access to the internet that is killing local businesses. They have internet access, they just generally don't maximize it well. Do you think businesses that fail to adapt to changing commercial realities should be allowed to go under? In other words, do you think the free market has the tools to cleanse itself of the businesses that stagnate and don't adapt to consumer demands?

And airports are infrastructure, like highways. That is a fundamental responsibility of government.

15. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I delivered the Washington post for maybe a year back in the early 70's and to be honest at the end the month I never had enough money to pay the Post for the papers.My mother always had to kick in a few bucks.People not paying and me spending the money on junk during the month didn't help.
    Sundays were rough.
    Apartment building were springing up all over so I jumped ship and started knocking on doors selling subscriptions to the Post and made really good money for a kid.

teletimetx likes this.
  16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Then there's the surveillance software Bezos and Co. have been creating.

Yep, we're still figuring it all out. It will be interesting to see what things look like when the dust finally settles.

Toast and JuneauMike like this.
  17. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Just as an aside... Craigslist is a private, for-profit business. I know that you didn't say that it wasn't, I just wanted to point that out.

18. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I try to support local shops n businesses but it gets harder as time goes on. To shop at our closest towns involves taking on the traffic and then finding parking. So before I even begin to shop I'm out time, fuel and parking fees.

On one recent trip, in search of a possible new amp, I trekked to the nearest music shop only to be told there wasn't anything to try but the amp could be ordered in for £400+.
    The same model was online from lots of suppliers for 266 and free next day delivery.

JuneauMike likes this.
  19. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

I disagree, but I don't want to get into a debate about news sources. I think it's pretty obvious, though, that companies like Walmart and Amazon can dictate wholesale prices or simply not allow a product onto their market platform. Smaller companies like Rubbermaid, Anchor Hocking, and loads of others are already out of business or accepting Amazon or Walmart's demands because they have to.

It's not access to the internet that's the problem; it's access to digital markets that's the problem.

Well, the US doesn't let failed (favored) corporate entities go under. That's just policy for both parties. The fact that most US banks are still in operation should put that argument to rest. Too big to fail is apparently in the national interest. So, I think your reference to businesses failing is way, way too idealistic. In the real world, favored companies (ones that pay for it) are shielded from market forces by political alliances.

In answer to your question, I do think failing businesses should be allowed to fail. That's the kind of healthy capitalism I support. Unfortunately, that doesn't exist today. Creating public infrastructure to support large and small companies, regardless of their political contributions, will go a long way toward leveling the playing field. Businesses will fail because they're poorly run, as they should.

Right, so let's build some digital infrastructure to add to the country's public resources.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  20. Toast

Toast Tele-Meister

I think it's time people started to seriously think about the role technology plays in their perceptions of the world. By the way, I think we all need to participate and voice our desires for how we want to interact with technology; we don't have to be passive and just accept however things shake out. It's a scandal that we can't fix spam phone calls that irritate everybody. One more indication that our economic system is, in many ways, out of control.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.