How modern shopping sometimes happens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I'm like this with most music stuff that costs over $200. Cheap(ish) stuff like pedals (some of which I know I will never find locally) goes through the usual "buy it, try it, keep it or sell it" cycle, but guitars and amps I go to the local stores to try out in person whenever I can. Then as long as I'm there, if I like what I find, I personally feel like I have an obligation to buy from the brick and mortar that let me try the gear out - and for service/setup related things I might need down the road too.

Even though I acknowledge the issues associated with ordering online, I can't lump them into crude categories like "Amazon = evil" "brick and mortar = good."

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

In Missouri Busch Beer tastes better than Budweiser and costs less. Yes, I am from St Louis and was weaned on Michelob.

3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

Costco is a pretty amazing operation. They are brutally unwavering toward their suppliers, but if you can break into their inventory it can be like winning the lottery. I watched a really cool segment on them and was impressed at how respected their wine buyers were (wow, wine buyers?).

Also remember one of those pet advocacy groups doing some analysis on all the various dog foods sold in retail stores and I recall their favorite food was Kirkland.

I stay away from Costco as much as I can. Its just better for our family in the long run if my wife handles that task.

drlucky likes this.
  4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

They brew Busch at Busch Gardens Williamsburg; and fresh it's fantastic. And I m an IPA guy.

Guitars are a real world store preferred item for me. Too many eBay dogs that looked fine, but I d never purchased if I heard them.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I think Target is doing fine. Their online experience is superior to WalMart. All of the bigger retailers are learning to compete in the Amazon world. Personally its my go to store and i usually choose it over Amazon if they have the same products. Amazon saves me no money.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Lucky you, TD.....I had to ride my Western Auto three-speed bike to deliver my paper route! ;)

fendertx and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I would be like "OMG! OMG! OMG! We ARE the same size!!! I KNEW IT!!!"

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Wow, Western Auto! I didn't realize I missed it until you mentioned it.

9. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I think retailers and wholesalers would benefit from a public commerce platform where anybody can sell/buy goods. I'm thinking of a platform with characteristics like Craigslist, Ebay, Amazon, Ali Baba, etc. except it isn't corporate controlled, but rather a public service. Such a platform, I believe, would wipe out the middlemen who insert themselves in front of transactions. Let commerce and the free market run free like their supposed to, the only thing preventing that is technological platforms monopolized by one or two multinationals who dictate to and compete with the little guys. If there is no real competition in a market, then government needs to create it or take over and transform the monopolies holding commerce hostage and turn them into something that truly benefits business and commerce.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

When my favorite socks, tee shirts, jeans, cargo shorts, flannel shirt supplies get low, I just tell Mrs. Obsessed and then UPS magically shows up in a few days with free shipping. Their trucks take a beating coming up our road, but the driver seems to always enjoy making the sojourn.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a long hard ride from Cherokee Alabama to Bakersfield riding a buffalo.

teletimetx likes this.
  12. JuneauMike

proxy.duckduckgo.jpg

Dude, do you even logistics?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And whether or not you show him the whip/show him who’s boss, a man needs at least two pair of tighty whitey’s for a journey of that distance...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

BTW , if the OP is talking about regular underwear t shirts , as opposed to tank top style - a tight neck hole is mandatory !

Droopy/stretched out neck holes not welcomed here ! :mad:

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Two months?

Did they come in red with the buttoned up flap in the back?

I hope that after a two month wait, they actually fit and the button stayed intact. :D

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Had a paper route for years with my older brother. The bike I had was most likely a one-speed coaster brake deal, Schwinn possibly, handed down from the older cousins to my brother to me.
    The distribution truck drops off a bundle of papers every afternoon, counted out to your route. You sit and fold them all, wrapped in a rubber band. took maybe 15-20 minutes between us. then stuffed into canvas bags folded over the handlebars.
    It was a driveby operation - fling the paper on the fly, with just enough tilt so it sails onto the front porch, lightly taps the front door and lands on the welcome mat. Well, that was the goal; just getting on the porch was good enough. Once a month you had to go collecting. knock, knock. "Collect for the Daily Camera". Was it $2.00 a month? Can't remember. Some people wrote checks. did I make 5 dollars a month? Can't remember.

1960-schwinn-speedster.jpg

elihu, stratofortress and nojazzhere like this.
  17. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

FYI, A-B has a big brewery in N. GA and I am friends with people that work there. Busch is a highly variable beverage, like Natural Lite and other "popularly priced" beverages. If Bud, Bud Lite, etc. do not meet the brewmaster's satisfaction, they will dispose of it by blending it and whatever and can it as Busch, Natural Lite, etc. to avoid wasting it.

18. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Dude, I'd respond with an answer if you made sense :)

JuneauMike likes this.
  19. JuneauMike

Yep, know the feeling. ;)

20. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

When you find the courage for a debate, I'll be here :).

JuneauMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.