How modern shopping sometimes happens

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Aug 13, 2019.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

There is a certain type of undershirt that I have grown to like. It fits me better than any other. It's not expensive, but I've only found them at Target stores. I don't think it's a house brand, but I'm not sure. I have several that have worn out, so I've needed to get a few more.

Stopped by Target store #1. None in stock at all.
    Stopped by Target store #2. A few in stock, but none in my size.

As we passed by yet a third target store on Sunday, I suggested to my wife that I was going to run in and see if they had them in stock. I changed lanes, but before we made it through the next traffic light my wife said had found them on Amazon (using her phone) for $1 less than the in-store price.

Bam! Ordered. We did not even stop at Target #3.

And they just showed up on the front porch.

I'm not 100% sure who lost out on that transaction, if anyone. But I don't mind a bit.

drlucky, Toadtele, OldDude2 and 8 others like this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A little different I guess, but my first store bought underwear came from Montgomery Wards. Momma ordered them when we lived on the farm in Alabama. It only took about two months from sending off the order by mail, until my underwear showed up one day by the same mail truck that took the order away. I waited every day for the mail to run, starting the day after sent the order off.

Greggorios and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Target lost. Theres a reason Walmart and Kroger say they're trying to compete with Amazon. Its because they're trying to compete with AMAZON. Brick and mortar big box stores are changing, and by not changing fast enough, they suffer. Target isn't doing as well as Walmart or Kroger. Walmart would do better if it would stop pretending it can keep up with Kroger on fresh areas, and get thier digital side perfect, then bolster logistics. Target isn't doing those things, so I'm happy for you that Amazon has what you need, so you will still be able to get 'em when target suffers the consequences of not competing as strongly.
    Poor Target......

4. TheGoodTexan

But if it is a Target house brand... did they actually lose?

I think the brand is Evolve, which is ironic.

ukepicker and ReverendRevolver like this.
  5. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ayup, that is how it is done ... minus of course the driving around looking to begin with.

:)

6. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Afflicted

I once spent 3 hours driving around town, fighting traffic, fighting crowds, looking for article of clothing - probably something like your tshirts. And, like you, found them on Amazon.

Now, I usually start my shopping there. I'd pay a dollar more to avoid all that driving and stopping and looking and disappointment.

7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

That store lost, as did the first two you tried. Target as it's own entity already made the sale, and that's a REALLY ironically named house brand....

We had a guy try out different undershirts for a month by opening packages and leaving them there. By happenstance, I was in the AP office, saw him, and heard our AP guys complaining. I was like "he hasn't stolen them yet hes not gonna." And walked out to talk to him. We hadn't had his size in weeks. I figured out how to order them, ordered way too many, and told him to come back in a week. He bought extras....

People like a specific thing, and they'll claw through whatever to get it.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

I remember when I was in middle school (mid 1980s), and martial arts became very popular among my peer group. Everyone was signing up for karate lessons, and the guys would pass around karate magazines at school. These magazines were the only places where I had seen "throwing stars" actually for sale. So I did what you did - I mowed a few yards... gave my mom the cash... and she wrote a check to the throwing star company. I checked the box for the throwing stars that I wanted, and cut out the form along the dotted lines, put it all in an envelope and handed it to the mailman.

After about six weeks of checking the mail every day - the stars came. They were un-sharpened, and I wasted no time sharpening them with my dad's files.

And I've actually still got one of them around here somewhere. I bet you don't still have any of those underwears!

ukepicker, Deeve and Toto'sDad like this.
  9. TheGoodTexan

When I worked in a local music store (circa ~2000).... the owner prided himself in having a large stock of various amp and guitar parts. Any time someone asked for something which we did regularly stock, the owner would order it for him and sell it to him at cost... but also order two more of the same item and add them to stock. That's how he grew his parts inventory. Most of the items were less than $20... so it wasn't like he had a huge investment in all of it. But his "parts department" grew over a period of years, and that store became the go-to place in town for hard to find stuff.

Then the internet took over, and he ended up selling the entire business. It completely folded a couple of years later.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Out of stock is starting to seem rather common at my local grocery store...of all places.

Every single trip, there is one or more common items on my list and an empty shelf that corresponds to it. I'm sure Amazon has it though.

This morning it was chedder jack CheesIts and Busch beer in twelve packs. Who runs out of Busch beer only two hours away from the dog gone brewery? Jeez!

The more important question, whos drinking all the Busch beer?:cool:

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I buy plain, colored, and preferably with pocket, tee shirts, as my 'work' shirt. I have been known to shop at WallyWorld for them, though the quality tends to be abysmal. So then I ordered some Hanes via Amazon, and they were okay. Most recently I found some at my Sam's Club. Sam's is the ONLY store I browse in. IOW, wandering the aisles to see what they have, for impulse buys that aren't on my shopping list. So anyways, there in the guy's clothing area I found tees branded Eddie Bauer. Got a few; they are really nice. High quality cotton, better'n Hanes, better'n Gildan even. Good price.

None of these buying methods do much for the local economy... not sure what to do about it. Driving all over gridlock to see if this or that store might have what I want, seems pointless. In the 1970s, that was the only way to go (short of the eight week mail order process described above), but now...? I don't see a way to support local merchants that doesn't work out to be 4 times the effort on my part...

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. TheGoodTexan

College students.

Teleguy61 likes this.
  13. TheGoodTexan

Bingo.

I absolutely do not mind exerting a little extra effort to find something locally, especially from a mom & pop store. But there is certainly a limit. And once I've "lost out" on the local search for an item, I'm probably not even going to try the next time I need it... I'll just go directly to the online store that has them in stock and ships immediately.

My wife and I are indeed going to purchase some bicycles soon, and for something like that, I will certainly buy locally from a mom & pop, and I do not mind paying a few dollars more. Why? Because I know without a doubt that the bikes will need to be taken in for some work at one point or another... and I want them to give me good service because I'm a valued customer.

SolidSteak and beach bob like this.
  14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Spring break Daytona. $4 and change for a 12pk. The only time I drank Busch.

15. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Oh, I thought it was Natty light and PBR.

1985?

16. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I wish I knew where you lived because I would have stolen those shirts off your front porch and tried them on at home just to see if we are the same shirt size.

Geo, drlucky, RodeoTex and 1 other person like this.
  17. TheGoodTexan

LOL.

That made me seriously laugh.

Toto'sDad and Torren61 like this.
  18. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

A variation.

We just did a new dual fuel range from COSTCO via phone app. No games, included install plus disposal, and the lowest price. I know they're a giant but they have a good reputation and neither the local place or BestBuy did a decent job for our last appliance purchases.

As for t shirts... A few years ago Patagoina outlet had a sale and I got one where I'd never have bought it at list price but it's the best sports t shirt ever. It pains me to think about it at retail price but I'd really like more shirts with that fit, feel and dry so nicely.

19. Toto'sDad

I surely don't have any of those underwear, but I thought they were very stylish.

upload_2019-8-13_9-45-15.png

20. Toto'sDad

Popular mechanics used to have an ad in their monthly that in glowing detailed the oneness with the universe you could achieve by becoming a skilled knife thrower with the aid of their precision machined throwing knife made in far off India. I gazed longingly at the tiny pic in the ad for about a year, then rounded up through my usual lawn mowing and pop bottle collecting financial stream the $ 2.98 including shipping (a vast sum in 1953) needed to secure one. It was a LONG time before it finally arrived. When it got there, it looked like you had cut a small sort of knife shaped object out of a piece of flat steel, and wrapped a cheap piece of leather around one end of it where the handle MIGHT be. Of course I had to spend quite a lot of time honing the edge, since like your stars there was none. It also had the balance of perhaps a throwing brick. I could actually throw a pocket knife pretty good, but that thing might land butt first, point first, flat side first or any configuration imaginable. That was perhaps one of my most disappointing purchases as a kid. It finally, mercifully, disappeared one day.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.