How many y'all say "y'all?"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AndyLowry, Jul 10, 2014.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not sure how I picked it up, being from Philly and Maine, though I consider Maine to be kin to the South.

Of all the terms for inclusively addressing a small group of people, in a way that each person knows that you are not singling out any individual; I think y'all is an excellent term.

The problem of course, in its association with an often stereotyped part of culture, is that it can be interpreted variously as a joke, a sign of poor vocabulary or education, or even an insult to those addressed (or to The South) (or even to African Americans).

In situations where one is offering service to a group of people, whether in your home or at work, many alternate expressions infer subordination to those we address.

And terms like "you people", "you all", or "everyone"; have a formality and stiffness that can sound condescending or superior.

So I think "y'all" is a fine upstanding term!

Still, my thinking seldom saves me from looking like a fool.
    And I end up a closeted y'all sayer.

2. Cooper Black

Cooper Black Tele-Afflicted

Let's not forget the multi-plural, All Y'all! :D

I do use the phrase "you folk" to reinforce the plural and have actually been asked why I would say something that made me sound dumb. My friend wasn't kidding, and it just made her look uptight. Anyone who knows me well, knows I have very little concern for The World at Large and its opinion of me. LOL :cool:

3. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard myself say it and always wondered where it came from. I was born and raised in The Bronx, but I've met many southern transplants in my yout.

I like yous tho. Yous really crack me up.

4. Hell on a Six

Hell on a Six Tele-Meister

Guilty.
    30 years of living in "San 'Tone," Texas will do that to a person's vernacular.

"I'm runnin' to the icehouse, y'all want a soda water or anything?"

What's worse, the all inclusive, as in "everybody" term is "All y'all":

"All y'all need to pay up your plates or go hungry." (If you don't pre pay your fundraiser BBQ meal, you won't get one!)

Yeah, but at least we have GREAT "Texas Country" and "Red Dirt" music 'round these parts!

5. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

Thank you! When I try to tell somebody about "yous" I almost always get it corrected to "yous guys" which irritates the daylights out of me. I know the difference. :rolleyes:

6. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I used to...
    I find I mostly call people 'pard' now... if it is a large group, I call them young people.

Young people lets go on in to the show... or Pard, you mind grabbing that ¾" ganglion wrench for me?

7. MarkWW

MarkWW Tele-Meister

Another ya'll here...

8. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Grew up in VA and my wife is from western PA. Y'all drives her crazy, so y'all became you all. Fortunately she doesn't say younze 'cause that would drive ME crazy.

9. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Guilty as charged. But hey I'm first generation out of Eastern Kentucky, and I grew up in a town full of transplanted Kentuckians that came north to work in the G.M. plant that used to be here in town.

10. hshight

hshight Tele-Meister

Being from, and having lived in TN my whole life save a six year stint in MA, I can attest to the fact that there are indeed rednecks up north, too. They just don't say "y'all"!

The word "y'all" offers up a juicy morsel for those who like to dine on the English language - the Double Contraction. I refer with much specificity to the possessive form of

y'all

which is

y'all's !!!

Bon Apetite!!!

11. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Y'all betcha I do.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK, so that is some butt kickin' colloquialisin' you got goin' there...

I googled "ganglion wrench", and found on a machinists forum a reference to the removal of a holy trinity of (wrench related) "ganglion cysts" with the "hard smack of a Bible".
    There was also other reference to potheads and hammerheads.

Whatchy'all tryna be sayin'?

13. Ryan Givhan

Ryan Givhan TDPRI Member

how else would you say y'all besides y'all?

14. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

yall, one syllable

most of the time, you guys (and I'm from Tx)

15. pcampbell

pcampbell Tele-Meister

One advantage of "y'all" is that it's gender neutral. When I lived in the Midwest (long time ago now) the indigenous "you guys" always seemed a bit awkward when addressing a group that had both males and females. Next month I will have lived in Memphis for 24 years. The word "y'all" has passed from my lips many times, and I am unscathed by the experience. So, as Bill Murray's character in caddyshack one said, I've got that going for me, which is nice.

16. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

Yes, but I try not to do it in a professional setting. When I moved up to Lancaster, PA, in 9th grade, I got teased mercilessly for saying ya'll and just generally for being from the south. I even got sent to the principal's office for responding "yes ma'am" to a teacher. The administrators thought I was making fun of her. Not kidding...my parents were called in and everything.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  17. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, bring me a coke.

what kind you want?

Dr Pepper.

(local soul food cafe) what kinda coolaid ya got today? Red

18. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

If you were born and raised in the South, it's an almost certainty that you say "y'all". It's just the way we talk. We are proud of our culture.

"There's a southern accent, where I come from,
    The young'uns call it country,
    The yankees call it dumb." - Tom Petty from "Southern Accents."

That's a fun tune to play by the way.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i do not say yall

i do not say yous

i think i have a pretty good command of what comes out of my mouth

i am not a casual swearer...when i get mad i swear a little...i rarely use the F word...my mom and dad never cursed around their kids...maybe that has something to do with it...i heard my dad say hell once...im should he swore when not around the kids...my mom prolly told him no swearing :lol:

20. Shorecaster

Shorecaster Tele-Holic

Why yes I do.

I'm married to a Florida girl from an old Florida cracker and Appalachian family so you would think I would pick it up from them, but not so. I worked with a little fiery redheaded Florida cutie about thirty years ago and would like to claim I caught it twisting lips with her. The truth be known I picked it up when I was a kid in Michigan of all places from my friend and his family. They were transplants from Kentucky and it kind of came about naturally.

I spent most of my youth and early adulthood trying to suppress it because my parents didn't approve and my first wife would suspect the worse.

Nowadays it sometimes slips when I least suspect it but it is more of a "yaw" with a trailing almost silent "L", real lazy like.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.