How Many Vintage Guitars Do You Own?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by bgmacaw, Dec 3, 2019 at 5:24 PM.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Given the popular Marty Stuart thread, I thought it would be a good time to ask how many vintage guitars do you own? Do they play better than your new guitars?

Let's use the antique dealer standard of vintage being older than 25 but less than 100 years for this exercise since "vintage guitar" isn't well defined, often being in the eye of the beholder (aka buyer or seller). So, for this thread, anything made before 1995 counts.

I have 7. A 1963 Strat. From the early 70's, I have a Yamaha hollow body, Hohner Contessa classical, Epiphone FT-130, Global (Harmony) H-801. A 1988 Kramer Ferrington. And, lastly, a 1993 MIM Fender Duosonic.

As for playing, yes, the Strat is very nice although the frets are a bit worn now. The Contessa is beat up but sounds good. I've restored the H-801 and use it for slide a lot. I rarely play the others.

Whatcha got?

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

A handful. I have four '68s (two Gibsons and two Guilds), a '27 Martin, and if a '76 Musicmaster Bass counts, there's that too. There is also an early '60s Gibson B-25, but it has a bowed top that's not worth fixing, so it has been relegated to slide only duty.

I wouldn't say they're any "better" than my nice quality new ones. They're just cooler, and way more broken in.

P.S. I suppose my cheap-o banjo is "vintage" too.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I had a few vintage Gretsch guitars. 6120, 6122, and a 6119.
    Their modern counterparts were stronger and played better. I no longer own vintage guitars.

I have two vintage Fender amps and they always have issues.

PingGuo and Fretting out like this.
  4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

My avatar guitar is a 60's MIJ ES330 clone and I have a 65' Silvertone Tube Amp.

5. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

25 years old doesn’t seem that old to me for a guitar! My old MIK Squier Strat is 30 years old (though my daughter has custody of it now) and it’s not really anything special.

Apart from that I have one really vintage guitar: my Mum’s old Swiss nylon-string 3/4-size acoustic, which dates from the 1950s.

And there’s a viola, a mandolin and a piano that belonged to my grandparents, so they are somewhere north of 80 years old...

tintag27 likes this.
  6. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I do not care for the "vintage" terminology, as it's a wine term, not a term simply denoting "old". I have a Fender Thinline vintage 2018....but for the sake of this discussion, I have one, a December '64 - probably sold as a '65 - Harmony Silhouette....rockin' lil old thing, same as the one I grew up learning/playing/beating on. The DeArmond goldfoils are everything I remembered them to be...but I don't call it vintage, it's just about 55 years old....it's an old guitar, nothing more, nothing less. Vintage schmintage

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

'61 Gretsch Chet Atkins. Needs a neck reset, so disqualified
    '65 Gibson SG Junior. Plays great, beat 9 ways to hell for that cool factor.
    '68 Tele Custom. Amazing player, probably the best I've got.
    '71 Gibson SG II that I converted to a Junior. Skinny neck, plays like a Strat.

And two that may or may not meet the Vintage threshold...

'80 Ibanez Artist AR-500. Dead solid, plays like a high quality LP.
    '82 Les Paul Standard. Ridiculously good player.

I've got a few newer guitars that play as well, but the older stuff is way cooler.

- D

8. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

One acoustic. Three electrics. Strat, 6120 and Supro Dualtone. A couple years back I had @1959 Dano and an early 70s Ibanez lawsuit LP that got sold. And a few years before that I let go of a 74 Strat and an 80s Washburn acoustic. I don’t wanna talk about the 59 Special.

Cheers,
    Geoff

9. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Afflicted

By that definition, the Tele I put together from Warmoth parts in 1994 is vintage! And so is my Lazer headless that I got used from a pawn shop about the same time, which is very useful as a travel guitar but not nicer than anything really.
    I do have an 82 ES-335 which doesn't really seem vintage next to my 61, but only by virtue of age--the 82 is a fantastic guitar.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Now ?

1 that meets the criteria (1992) but - the criteria is faulty. A ‘92 MIM Tele ? :lol: I don’t think so...

How many “real” vintage guitars have I owned in the past ? Too many to even try and recall.

11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

How Many Vintage Guitars Do You Own?

Why do you ask? Are you a thief?

Deathray, Bill, NewKid and 6 others like this.
  12. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I started playing four years ago at 59. I have zero guitars over 25 years old. I had a nine year old Martin and sold it. I have a Martin with 100 year old wood but made a couple years ago. It sounds awesome. It is the reason I sold the other one.
    My electrics are all less than four years old. I doubt being over twenty five years old would make them sound better.
    Still zero.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

91 P Bass
    70 Klira Stratacaster copy
    1972 Yamaha Classical
    Mid 70's Ventura Hollowbody
    1984 DG1 Casio Guitar
    1982 Sears and Roebuck Van Halen 3/4 size guitar

I guess I have a number of vintage instruments.

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

I own no "vintage" gear (the term means nothing), but I do have a bunch of old stuff, like a 1961 Ampeg Reverberocket, a 1960 Guild M65 Freshman, a 1965 Fender Mustang, 1966 BF Fender Champ, a 1938 Premier amplifier, 1972 SF Fender Vibro Champ, and some other crazy old stuff like this:

[​IMG]

15. Charlodius

Charlodius Tele-Meister

A bunch that fit the somewhat loose criteria of this thread.

What have I been picking up most lately? An Indonesian Squier Tele Custom with a pickup upgrade. Last week I also rocked a First Act Garagemaster for a solid two hours.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

This is a two part hack. First, I get a list of guitars. Next, I'll do one of those cute "What's Your Blues Name" things to get matching personal info. MooHAHA!!!

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

Well c'mon and get 'em! heh heh

Stringbanger and kuvash like this.
  18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Just uno. I have my '84 SG that I bought brand new back in the day. I do have a couple of '90s Strats that will be "coming of age" soon per your 25 year cutoff.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The only vintage "thing" I have is a '66 Fender. But don't get too excited - just one of those 6 string "Student Steel" jobbers with the telescoping screw on legs.

It hung up in the framing high in a closet, and didn't fall down into the Katrina sludge that got everything else. Just a little bit of mildew in the case and it needed a bit of de-oxit. I'm looking forward to the day I can play it and not get kind of down in the mouth.

20. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Afflicted

I have a 74 Rick 4001 bass that's been refinished poorly and then refinished the right way by me.

Oh and then there's that banjo from the 1890s.

Now that I think of it. You didn't ask about bass guitars or banjos. I'm still posting this though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.