1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many vets here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chipss36, Mar 9, 2020.

1. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

US Navy Submarine Service
    1979 - 1991
    Fire Control Technician Ballistic Missile First Class - FTB1(SS)
    USS Simon Lake AS-33
    USS Canopus AS-34
    USS James Monroe SSBN-622 Gold
    USS Woodrow Wilson SSBN-624 Combined Crew
    USS Lewis & Clark SSBN-644 Gold
    Polaris Missile Facility Atlantic

Performed maintenance on Mk88-Mod 1 Poseidon C3 Ballistic Missile Fire Control System as well as ballistic missile targeting. Stood watch as Missile Control Center Supervisor, Battle Stations Missile Supervisor and Chief Of The Watch. Shore Duty was at POMFLANT (Polaris Missile Facility Atlantic) where I was the Poseidon C3 Missile Test Director and Assistant Building Officer of the Missile Assembly Checkout Building (MACB Bldg 344).

Matt G and Chipss36 like this.
  2. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Not I. I sincerely thank all you veterans for your service. I just a read a long article this AM about brain impacts and subsequent difficulties for vets from repeated exposure to blasts of varying types. Very sad story that focuses on Navy Seal Ryan Larkin who committed suicide in 2017. The article is in People magazine online.

3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

USN 1966 - 1974, Aviation Electricians Mate. Upon verification of a DD214 with honorable status, Texas will put veteran on your drivers license. This comes in handy as there are a number of places in and around the Katy/Houston area that will give discounts to veterans who show valid proof of service.

Chipss36 likes this.
  4. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

You can also a Veteran's ID card available from the VA. Application is online and requires a copy of your DD-214 in pdf format.

https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/

Chipss36 likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Right, my Father would be 97 but only made it to 75.
    My best friend as a kid whose house I was at almost every day still has his Mom in her upper '90s, and I see her in town regularly.
    Incredible woman who's still sharp as a tack and remembers her history.
    IDK if she or the old man served but it seems like in that era everybody who was able did.
    The old man was named Oscar and captained a little fleet of tourist boats when I was a kid, and those same boats still run the coast operated by one or two sons. I'd guess that if Oscar served he was a Navy man, pretty safe bet.
    I ran into another woman from my class whose WWII Vet Mother just passed in Dec at IIRC 103, certainly over 100.
    Her Father passed maybe a year ago also over 100 yo and was a CO, so during the war he grew hemp for rope as his military service.
    He kept walking the half mile into town well into his '90s and I often helped him along or called the police to check on him and give him a ride home. Her Mom was a doctor when I knew her and I'm not sure of her branch of service. Might have been a nurse during the war.
    The surviving daughter is trying to set up a residential halfway house for Vets with special needs in town, at the now vacant home of her parents.
    This is cool since Vets with complex problems seem to often fall through the cracks of the system.

When I lived in Lowell my GF's old man and one of his brothers were WWII Vets, Charlie was a brand new soldier dropped into the Normandy invasion and described running onto that beach numerous times. One of his brothers would sit there silent, said almost nothing, but I did hear him quietly describe pulling his buddies lifeless bodies over himself to avoid the bayonets.
    Otherwise he never spoke of it.
    The third brother was younger and served in Korea.
    I believe Charlie is still alive and kicking, I'm out of touch but see no obit.
    The others have passed.

I always make an extra effort when I meet a Vet in a 12 step meeting, and feel an extra loss when they slip away again due to whatever problems are eating them. Most are from more recent service, some very recent and struggling with PTSD.
    One that's done well and only has less than five years clean & sober is a Vietnam Vet who flew Hueys and has some interesting stories.
    In addition to taking fire daily in an airborne metal can he survived the drugs & alcohol & Harley life for a decades after serving his country. Of course not all have these problems, but they may be less likely to speak for that segment of the Vet population.
    Lotta faces on Vets, sadly many are holding a cup and a cardboard sign on the street corner.

Than you all for your service.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Technically not a veteran, because I never did six months of straight active duty. I was in the Army Reserves for three years in the mid-'80s. Spec 4, Legal Clerk.

Chipss36 likes this.
  7. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

8. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

Canadian Army 1994 to 2019
    Logistics Officer
    Asked for deployments...told we need you in the training system. (ugh!)
    Asked again.....told I do my job too well and we can't replace you.(Ugh x2!)
    Asked again....We are posting you to be part of training teams to prepare our troops for deployment. (Shakes head in disbelief)
    Stopped asking.....now retired and happy to be out. Sometimes the flash is not worth the bang.

Matt G likes this.
  9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Everything has pros and cons.

10. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

USN 1968-1972 Photographers Mate 2, boot in San Diego, Miramar NAS for 2 yrs, one year working the flight deck of the USS FDR CVA-42, and a year at NAS Pax River.

Ever since knowing a Navy friend with a red Tele who had played in a Chicago blues band and talked to me about Muddy Waters it was in the back of my mind that I had to have a Tele. Took me a long time to get one and start learning ...but I’m here now!!!!
    Next build will be a red one/ black pick guard, etc,

Chipss36 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.