1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many vets here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chipss36, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Afflicted

USMC
    1970-1973
    0849 F/O Naval Gunfire

2. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Me too.

3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I am very thankful for all of you who have served. Our country is better because of all of you. I served in the USAF as an aircraft mechanic on KC-135s and B-52s at March Air Force Base. Never got too far from home.

4. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Hospital Corpsman. USN. 1973 to 1977. Last duty station was N.S.G.A. Winter Harbor, Maine.

5. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Depends on your definition of Veteran.
    - Did my conscript service like most men here. Specialized in running a Company of 120mm mortars.
    - Went on a couple of Government temp jobs in Peace Keeping: Lebanon and the Balkans
    - Nobody ever shot at me and I never shot at anybody
    - Got a card that says I'm a Crisis Management Veteran :D

6. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

Unlike Finland , conscript Service ended in the USA in 1974, clearly a few here may have been drafted , but now adays its an all
    Volunteer force.
    Just saying.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    perttime, Hiker and stormsedge like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Army Reserve ‘87-‘93
    433rd Military Police co.
    Veteran because we were called to active duty for Desert Storm.

duzie, JeffBlue, Flakey and 3 others like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

21 years Air Force intel. Many deployments to the Middle East and lots of other places on the planet.

Mostly good memories!

I salute each and every one of you for the sacrifices you've made.

duzie, JeffBlue, Chipss36 and 2 others like this.
  9. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Machinist’s Mate (nuclear) First Class, USN Submarine service, eight years. I am a combat veteran, but only from a distance. Our sub, and several other ships in the Roosevelt battle group, started our current war in Afghanistan by launching cruise missiles in early October, 2001. We were out for just shy of six months, without setting foot on land. It was (and remains, I believe) the longest naval deployment since WWII.

10. Sargeslide

Sargeslide Tele-Meister

Air Force
    Jets
    AC130’s
    22 years

Matt G, duzie, JeffBlue and 3 others like this.
  11. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

"I have to ask....we're any of you Navy/Marines on the USS Princeton at any time?
    You know...that inquiring minds thing. :)"

------Yea...but it was the silver face Princeton ....not the "Old Corps" black face Princeton .....
    (just kidding ;)......never did a day of sea service....)

uriah1 likes this.
  12. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

In the US, it ended Jan. 27th, 1973, when they announced no more draft calls- shortly before my 16th birthday.

stormsedge likes this.
  13. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

14. Rob J

Rob J Tele-Meister

USAF 1968-1972. The Viet Nam war was in full bloom but I was on a special assignment that kept me Stateside for my four years. I have great respect for those who endured service in combat areas.

15. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I should add that I served from '86 - 2003 and deployed for Desert Storm and Afghanistan, but in both cases I never ended up in the suck. For Desert Storm, they sent me to Narvik, Norway instead of the desert. They needed school-trained Marines in arctic warfare, mountain warfare, and guerilla warfare...I had all 3 schools so they bounced me over there. Apparently, some intel guys saw the Soviets moving all their armor North and that made NATO nervous that they might try and take a warm water port. My job was to destroy the airport if the invasion came....of course it didn't, the Soviets were just falling apart and wanted to protect their tanks.

When I reached Afghanistan years later, I had my neck fractured in 2 places on day 3. Left me paralyzed on my left side for 8 months and forced out of the Marines soon after.

So, Veteran yes...no war hero by any means.

Matt G, stormsedge, Chud and 2 others like this.
  16. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I know why....same reason I thought that too.

hemingway likes this.
  17. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Retired military. Medically ordered into retirement after being disabled in the line of duty. Life member, VFW, DAV, etc.

I don’t like to talk about it. That’s who I used to be. I don’t dwell on it. I joined the vet orgs because they helped adjudicate my VA claims for free. But these days, I have other interests.

I haven’t missed it. Only one time since I retired have I found a reason to smile about it. My daughters, teenagers at the time, got into my sock drawer against strict orders. They were looking for something, I don’t remember what. They found all my medals, badges and stuff. They came out of the bedroom holding a bunch of that stuff, wide-eyed, and my oldest daughter said, “Daddy, we had no idea!” with a tone of awe. I promptly told them both that if I caught them anywhere near a recruiter, they’d find a size 13 work boot in an uncomfortable place.

So that touched me, in a way. But they didn’t need to know anything about that portion of my life. So I was kind of annoyed at the same time. Mostly, I avoid thinking about it, and I don’t care to talk about it much beyond the few things that I choose to mention when it comes up. I don’t like answering questions about it, and people always ask too many questions.

I had enough and more of the military. I’m a different person now. So in short, yes, I’m a vet. Now let’s talk about guitars...

18. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Are you back to normal/100% functional now?

How I view it?....the "heroes" are in Arlington, Golden Gate Cemetery, The Vietnam Wall, etc.

Back to it.....

19. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Lets just say I don't consider sports figures, politicians, actors and actresses to be heroes as they are so often labelled.

20. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 Tele-Meister

USAF 65-68. Fortunate to be stationed stateside for the duration. Upon completion of tech school, was held over to become a technical instructor in the field I had just completed.

stormsedge, FLHT and Chipss36 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.