How many telecasters do you currently own?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Kreepy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

An even dozen Teles. Plus one unfinished Thinline body - as a fun/finishing project.

jim777 likes this.
  2. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

You're the Telecaster museum :D

jim777 and DHart like this.
  3. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I barely consider the P90 tele a tele. I mean, it has the neck and the basic shape, but the controls and pickups are straight up Gibson. To me, a tele has gotta have at least one tele pickup in it to be a REAL tele. And, the P90 tele is as likely to be sold as anything. I'm keeping it for when my daughter and her partner settle in Oregon after she finishes her residency this summer and they move out there where she's joining a medical practice. I'd thought of keeping a certain Emerald X7 for that purpose, but decided it had too much value to leave at their place and only use a few weeks a year, so I sold it after I got one of the new ones. So I may make this tele the guitar that lives in Oregon, or I may sell the tele and pick up a cheap acoustic the first time we visit them and just leave that with them. I'm probably more inclined to do that with an acoustic. But the thinline P90 is worth so little, I just haven't been in a hurry to sell it, but I probably will.

I think if I transition away from being overwhelmingly a strat guy, it'll just be to being an equal opportunity player. I have three electric guitars right now and while the strat definitely feels like HOME, I play all three of them a lot. I could see continuing to get a similar amount of use out of all of them, but I seriously doubt I'll ever be primarily a tele guy. Or a P90 guy. And someday when I'm old, I'll probably go back down to one electric and my current bet is it'll still be a strat. But with this roadworn, I actually have one I play alongside my strat - no traditional tele I've had before ever got played when they lived on the wall next to a strat and they all ended up getting sold. This one holds it's own. That's something right there...

-Ray

DHart likes this.
  4. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I have two now, but have an ASAT Bluesboy with the neck humbucker waiting for me to open it when I get home from work :)

5. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

Just one; it's a keeper. Would personally rather have multiple kinds of guitars rather than many of one so I'm shooting for a JM next. But hey I can appreciate the Tele obsession too! Certainly the perfect guitar in so many instances.

6. Kylote

Kylote TDPRI Member

One :eek:

7. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Perhaps to some degree.. but there are a lot of folks here with a lot more guitars than I have! Makes me feel like I'm not that extreme!! :lol:

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  8. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

I have 8. Four in the works. 3 more planned. Keep 'em coming.

9. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Two. The one in my avatar to the left and a Fiesta red one.

10. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

I have gas on you Red Wine tele. Seems brighter than Midnight wine which is almost black.

Why can't fender make these more?

11. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

If P90s in your Tele were the only difference from a "conventional" Tele, I'd definitely consider it to be a "Tele". But with the four-pot control setup, I agree with you... that's stretched it pretty far from being a Tele, aside from neck and body shape. Still a pretty cool guitar enjoying a Tele neck and body, though!

After reading a lot of gushing about P90s, I chased down the P90 trail with a variety of different guitars, some of them very cool guitars that sound good! I still have an Epi 339, Gibson LP, PRS SE, and Fender Offset which have P90 pickups in them, but for some reason, the P90s just haven't captured my heart like Tele, Strat, and PAF humbucker pickups have. I can't put my finger on why, though.

My Tele Blacktop, with the pair of Gibson Classic '57s, I do consider to be a Tele, as it hasn't fallen too far from the tree, and it has a very bright, Fendery tone for a guitar with Gibson humbuckers in it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

Just different strokes. I’ve had a few different guitars with various humbuckers and liked them well enough. Until I had one with P90s and then never wanted to play the humbuckers again. For a two pickup guitar, I’d have to say P90s are my favorite pickups - I even like them a bit more than tele pickups, and I like tele pickups a LOT... But lots of people don’t get on with P90s at all. Lots of people don't like strats and particularly don't like the in-between positions on a strat - those the are the most indispensable sounds I've ever found in an electric guitar. People are different. Keeps life interesting!

13. Jeff H

Jeff H Tele-Meister

One. Bought new.
    2003 Highway 1
    Tri-burst, maple
    Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups made by Bill Lawrence
    Vintage tuners and string tree
    Gotoh 6 saddle bridge
    Upgraded jack cup

14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Hahaha... THAT'S why we have so many different variations. No people can agree on any one thing! :twisted:

I think P90s are alright! I guess that's why I keep some around - even thought I hardly ever fire 'em up. Just not my favorites, that's all.

I think perhaps I find the Tele and Strat single coils, in particular, to have a bit more sparkly clarity and tonal richness - which I appreciate with the clean style of playing that I like.

Different strokes, as they say! ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    raysachs likes this.
  15. scudgebucket

scudgebucket Tele-Meister

If you include my Cunetto Relic Nocaster and an Esquire - 10.

16. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

My three. The sunburst used to be Aquamarine Blue until this week. IMG_20190504_174844031.jpg

ben smith and Chunkocaster like this.
  17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Tree fiddy.

I've got three complete ones - a US Series, a MIM Cabronita, and a Whippersnapper Naughty Pine. Also got a half-completed partscaster somewhere or another (in the midst of moving right now).

18. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I count my La Cabronita Especial as a Tele, which makes 4 for me. The Deluxe at the left has since gone through a pup and guard change. Has a HB at the neck, a DiStefano pup at the bridge and a 3-ply black guard.
    The Tele Herd.jpg

19. geektoad

geektoad TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

One...American Professional, Crimson Red transparent.

20. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Update - Ooh I now have two!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.