How many Tele variants do we want or need ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by T Prior, Jul 16, 2021.

1. Festofish

Festofish Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Variety. I’ve got 4 from 4 different companies. Squier, Schecter, G&L and Fender. All Teles but all different.

2. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

I've been mulling over this very question for some time now, as I sense that the end is nigh for my pandemic-fuelled partscaster binge. I presently have three, with an assortment of parts ready for another three, but it's proving increasingly difficult to justify completing the builds--I'm speaking tonally, not aesthetically, of course.

My '52 AVRI with Lollar Specials gets me probably closer to the fabled sound than I'll ever need to get. My '72 Thinline-style partscaster with Lollar Regals covers another key area of the spectrum, as does my late-50s-inspired partsquire with a P90-style pickup. So, what's next: A La Cabronita? A thinline with single coils? An Esquire with a pine body? I suppose time will tell.

As someone not prone to romanticising about guitars, I could easily make do with any one of the bunch, though.

black_doug likes this.
  3. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

And a set neck! Yes, it’s a stretch for a Tele but it sure is pretty!

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well I like: a tele deluxe, a tele custom, a thinline tele, a modern tele and a vintage tele. I think guitar manufactures have long figured out that a lot of sales go to folks who already own at least one other guitar

5. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

In the train, so I’ll read the rest of the thread later.

But, off the top of my head, I’d say two.

Not Teles though, just two guitars. Two that sound different (enough) from each other. And you need to like them.

I really think that gives you a lot of variety. For any style.

It might arguably be more important to own a variety of amps. Or, as I and I suspect many do, a variety of ways to make one’s amp(s) sound different.

For guitars though and me, personally, I like the combo of Tele and Les Paul (but, there’s going to be a “but” for me in the future).

That’s basically the way I see it. Like most things, your mileage may vary.

Pax/
    Dean

6. ChicknPickn

ChicknPickn Tele-Afflicted

How many is the right number of Teles?

N + 1

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Ok, here’s the ones that I want…I’m calling the “normal” Telecasters a “Standard”.
    I’ll accept reissues or MIM versions because…poverty.

1950’s Standard
    1960’s Standard
    1970’s Standard
    1960’s Custom (rosewood w/bound body)
    1960’s Custom w/Bigsby
    1969 Thinline
    1972 Thinline
    1972 Deluxe*
    1972 Custom (WRHB in neck, 4-knob)
    Muddy Waters signature

Modified/Customized/Partscasters:
    My pinstriped Telecaster (“Big Tex”)*
    An Esquire/Les Paul Junior Mashup I’m assembling right now.
    A Telecaster/Gretsch Roundup I’m slowly collecting parts for right now.

So the answer is 13…as of 8:21AM on Monday 07.19.2021

But ultimately, I’m very happy with just Big Tex, if worse comes to worse.

The ones with an asterisk (*) have already been acquired.

This is subject to change.

8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

634365-b31c6b3804ae6c60c7d76d75f1ca26f1.jpg 198490501_895519131026164_6163357391667226485_n.jpg 170037122_862311977680213_4064723792849433267_n.jpg Currently, four with different pick-up configurations. Two Squier, two Fender MIM. I think I'm done:)

SparkleFart likes this.
  9. Wide Ranger

Wide Ranger TDPRI Member

My mind still thinks that the options are Standard Tele, ’72 Telecustom, Tele Deluxe, ’69 Thinline, ’72 Thinline, with the usual choice of maple of rosewood fingerboard for most, and a choice of colours. Optional extras are B Bender and other hardware gadgets, Nashville middle pickup, Bigsby Vibrato, or Strat Trem on the Deluxe. All else is fluff. Confusing fluff.

10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Afflicted

I’m very much a traditionalist, like my Teles to be SS with vintage wound pickups.

Same with Strats, like them SSS with maple and vintage wound pickups.

So really don’t need more than one of each, but I do have multiples of each. Not sure why since they all sound very much alike.

black_doug likes this.
  11. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

Well, this gets into the old "When is a Tele a Tele?" unresolvable debate.

There's the basic Tele, a distinctive-shaped guitar with a distinctive bridge and pickups. Within that formula, there are nigh-infinite variations in neck profile, fingerboard wood (hell, neck wood for that matter), pickups, different body wood at least to an extent. (Reasonable minds can differ as to whether putting a Bigsby on a Tele turns it into a fundamentally different instrument.) In an ideal world those would all be variations of one Telecaster, but in the real world often they get different model names. Of guitars like that most people would only really need one and maybe a back-up, but what people need is only occasionally related to what they buy, particularly in the world of guitars.

There are a number of guitars that depart from that basic formula but are still called Telecasters: Teles with humbuckers, Teles with extra pickups, set neck Teles made from exotic woods, semi-hollow Teles; baritone Teles; acoustic Teles. You can get versions of those that still say "Telecaster" on the headstock, although they are all at least to an extent a different guitar in some fundamental way from the basic Tele. One could make a reasonable argument that having one of those is not really having "another" Tele. And then if you get into Tele-shaped guitars from other brands or builders you can get all sorts of wild variations and get even further from the basic formula. Steel-bodied Teles. Resonator Teles. Twelve-string Teles. The possibilities are limited only by imagination.

So the question is really, when does a variation become a different guitar? Replacing stock pickups with single coil Duncans or Fralins? Probably not. Routing out new cavities and putting in PAFs? Probably a different instrument. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. But wherever that line is, I think it's reasonable to have a new model with whatever features differentiate that guitar from other Tele models.

12. baldwindp

baldwindp Tele-Meister

Well, I already have two (Baja and Cabronita) but I want a Thinline. So three! Today my answer is three.

13. Nishplayer

Nishplayer Tele-Meister

only reason I have a name or artist guitar is that it came with a Forrest Lee Junior B Bender installed....I had tried out a Brad Paisley Road Worn in a shop just before COVID....liked the pups in it....loved the weight (especially for an old grumpy bear like me)....so O knew the guitar well enough to take a chance on it....I bought online....and love it so much I ordered a Double Bender from Forrest....that he is building for me....but I love my BP Road Worn B Bender....it got me on this bender I'm on lol

THe only thing I'm changing out on the BP Tele are the saddles....just got some I ordered from Forrest....should improve intonation even more

IMG_5052 (2).JPG IMG_5054.JPG

14. Y-not

Y-not TDPRI Member

I NEED one, I WANT all of them. I also have this habit of making changes to things. Here is a pic of the one that I have at the moment - yep - a filterton in a tele, why? Because i can! Sounds great btw.

I think the reason there are so many variations is because it’s the most iconic guitar that’s ever existed, and it’s design allows for easy modification, With a huge aftermarket parts ecosystem and ots fun.

Attached Files:

black_doug likes this.
  15. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I have 7 i think. Should not be buying anymore, just selling from now on. 1981 Black and Gold is my 1st, bought new at Bizarre Guitar in Reno. I have a mim 1969 Thinline reissue, a 50s classic lacquer, a 2003 Highway 1 Texas Tele, a 62 custom double bound with b bender system partscaster, a partscaster Nocaster style Tele, and a reclaimed 1970s cedar wood Tele partscaster. Several have 4 way switches.
    I can handle either a 7.25 inch radius or a 9.5 inch or a 12 inch radius neck. Prefer nitro finish but it is not a dealbreaker. Much prefer barrel style saddles.
    So i guess i need no more than 7, although i' ve had lots more over the years that i have parted with.

16. Tele-Strat

Tele-Strat TDPRI Member

I have and love this guitar. Don’t judge.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/electr...ins-ja-90-telecaster-thinline/0262354580.html

17. Tele-Strat

Tele-Strat TDPRI Member

18. shallbe

shallbe Tele-Meister

I can't answer that. I already had several great choices, and built 3 during COVID. I'm nuts about the vintage Tele body shape, along with a 3 saddle bridge and a fat neck. So.....let's try every wood and pickup option possible! They are all fun and useful anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Southpole, Frisco 57 and black_doug like this.
  19. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All I want is a butterscotch/black guard tele (a '52RI would probably fit the bill) and a matching esquire. I'd probably snatch up a Micawber replica if one turned up locally and inexpensive just for looks, and same applies for a paisley and a Muddy Waters, but I don't really NEEED any of those.

If a nice-looking copy of Princes' tele (can't recall the name just now) turned up I'd grab one and get a display case for my wifes' office, just because.

20. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Well I guess maybe two or maybe three...then I read about your Esquires, And that is how it starts!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.