1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Many Strings Have You Gone Through?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

An awful lot of them.

2. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I've been playing for 35 years, and I don't think I have bought more than 25 sets of strings for all my guitars combined. I only change them when I break them ( usually the high E or B), and with the extra strings in the Mapes set, I don't need complete sets. I've played my Ibanez JS1200 since 2009 and NEVER changed strings. Same with my Epi Dot- got it in 2002 and haven't changed strings. The benefits of NOT having corrosive sweat.

radiocaster likes this.
  3. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

To lazy to count
    IMG_3589 copy.jpg

radiocaster and Stanford Guitar like this.
  4. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I kept ball ends for some reason that I really can’t remember. I had a dozen film canisters full of them. I tossed them about 10 years ago

SacDAve likes this.
  5. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

An almost offensive amount. I'd certainly be embarrassed to know. I had 20 guitars at one point and a job where I'd do more noodling and playing than working. I probably changed strings every day for over a decade. I've slowed down a bit since then.

6. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

The real question: How many picks have you gone through? I keep a Lucky Strike ashtray on my project studio desk that’s filled with Fender Heavy picks, as I like to have a fresh pick whenever I’m recording something that I think is going to be a “keeper.”

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  7. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Meister

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Never gave the string count a thought, but am positive it’s way lower than most of y’all here. I’ll replace a set if I break one or need ‘em off the guitar for repair/whatever, but it’s rare....for whatever reason I hate the sound of new strings...am sure there’s something wrong with me, but that’s neither here nor there

8. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I don't change my strings often. When I was young, I used to break them, but I rarely break strings now. I've never liked the "zingy" sound of new strings, so I only change them if they sound really dull. In ~40 years of playing, I think I've probably used less than 200 sets.

9. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Over the last 59 years 8497 guitar strings on the nose. 24 string sets a year + the one Ernie Ball Super Slinky E string I broke.

:rolleyes:

10. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Holic

So one time you only changed one string? .....Edit: HAHA you edited that statement before I could make a math joke!

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I change strings every 10-12 hours of playing so...LOTS.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  12. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

6 string sets, quite a lot in 40 years, bass not so many, I like old bass strings and only change them maybe twice a year

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have had about 100 guitars over the years 50 years I have been playing( lost count at 27 Telecasters in 1980), Ibanez, Yamaha. Profile, Fenders, my builds ( acoustic and Electric as I had a brief stint as a builder)- in short I have spent $$ 1,000s on strings as they are $20 per set and 4 times as expensive as US prices. God knows.

14. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Here’s something I’ve never contemplated.

DrBGood and Digital Larry like this.
  15. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I do not know. How do you count the string sets broken because the dude you're playing with never has strings and always breaks one?

16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Some of my guitars I didn't or haven't changed for a few years and are due, but I haven't played 'em that much. In general I change them when I can feel the bumps in the winding due to wear. I always enjoy the zingy first few days on an acoustic. I bought a battery powered string winder which makes changing strings easier.

I didn't really start owning multiple guitars until the past ten years or so. My real estimate is about 100 to 200 over 40 years.

17. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Whenever I wonder why the guitar goes out of tune for nothing, then it's time. So that may be once a year or so for each guitar.

18. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I have no idea. I do know that I have probably gone through less strings in 2020 than any other year since I was about 19 or 20.

19. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

Good question. When I started out playing I used the classic celluloid picks and would break them constantly. I tried thin ones, medium ones, and thick ones and it didn't matter - I would still break them constantly, sometimes several in a single day. I was a poor teenager back then who couldn't afford to keep buying picks so I would tape the broken picks back together so that I could get some more use out of them.

For the past 30 years or so I've been using the same picks, and when I say the same picks I literally mean The Same Picks - two Dunlop .73mm nylon picks. They seem to be totally indestructible and I've never had to replace them. I've tried out and will probably continue to try out other picks but I always come back to those two Dunlop picks.

20. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I have no idea how many sets I've used since 1968. I can't even remember what I had for breakfast...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.