How Many Still Listen to Hendrix?

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don't listen to music as a casual endeavor. Only on purpose, while doing nothing else. I will listen to Little Wing, Wind Cries Mary, Castles, Angel...

Um, that didn't come out right. I have a brain illness and if I try to do something else while music's playing, like *anything* else, I go nuts pretty quick. So mostly it's when I want to hear a clip, or learn something. But I listen to some classics, which for me are the abovementioned Hendrix ballads, Bowie, Rolling Stones, and of course the Dead. But that's about it.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
Live recordings are where he sounds the freshest. I still listen to Blues, Radio One, Jimi Plays Monterey, and Band Of Gypsys pretty regularly. The played out, hippie-dippy studio stuff? Not so much.

Crawdady_54

TDPRI Member
here's my Jimi Hendrix albums 28 in total ,heap of bootleg's, the box set I have never played since its issue in 1980, a few that went missing on the way over the years, I have about 200 LP's of all types and video's, cant nail my fav but my guitar influence was JH, he was not for everybody, and some of his stuff was junk, hey but who cares

Opt_234

Tele-Meister
I never really got into hendrix. i mean, he's certainly not a bad guitarist by any means. but his music has never really moved me in a way that you would expect from the "greatest guitarist of all time"

i mean, i was/am much more impressed by his contemporaries like Mr. Beck or Clapton...hendrix as some bangers but really, i never got the "genius" thing from his music, especially after seeing/hearing live stuff :/

all that aside i will get into a hendrix phase and put on a record or 2 of his, but after that i'm good for a year or so

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
Side 3 of "Electric Ladyland" may have never left the turntable had it not been
for "Sly & The Family Stone's Greatest Hits".

Most listeners TODAY wimp out and are
too frightened to CRANK a 100 Watt receiver - thus never hearing what The
Artist intended to be heard.

I listen to Jimi Hendrix & Jeff Beck but I utterly DESPISE the classic hits rotation
Soma and would pay to have those people's scalps hanging from my lodgepole.

"Third Stone From The Sun" is like waking up to " A Love Supreme."

RadioFM74

Friend of Leo's
I listen to Charlie Christian most of the time so Hendrix ....:D

Not all the time, but I revisit quite often and always find him fantastic. "Axis: Bold as Love" my favorite album by quite a bit.

kingvox

Tele-Meister
I do occasionally. After practically burning out all my Hendrix CD's over the past 18 years.

Most emotive and relatable ones for me are Burning Of The Midnight Lamp, 1983, Castles Made Of Sand, Manic Depression, Wind Cries Mary.

Mitch's drumming is so phenomenal too. Check out Will Sanford's drum cover of Hey Joe:

Voodoo Child from Woodstock is another good one. That intro to Killing Floor from Monterey Pop.

I listen to a very wide variety of music and go long stretches without listening to Hendrix. But his music always grabbed me in a unique and very emotionally powerful way.

It's hard to explain what it makes me feel. But it's unique and no other music gets me there. I suppose that's what makes all good music good. It's got its own unique feel. Really moves you in its own way.

Some people just don't get it. Also how music works. I've heard all of Hendrix's music time and time again and it just never gets old to me.

The live noodling, sure. We've all been there if we've gigged. In the studio he was precise and deliberate. His phrasing was just astonishing. And cool. Just really cool.

And that wah pedal work on Electric Ladyland. Rainy Day, Dream Away -- very hard pressed to find a cooler song and even more hard pressed to find a guitar song with more emotive wah than that one phrase in the beginning of the outro solo.

And did I mention Mitch's drumming? Some of the best was in that song 1983 as well. Many times lately I'll focus on the drums instead of Jimi and it's like a whole new experience just listening to how creative and precise Mitch's drumming was. Elvin Jones was a tremendous influence for Mitch and you can hear that in his playing.

Well anyway. The answer is a resounding yes.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a rather extensive CD collection and some times the urge gets you and you have to go full Jimi, or Rory, or Jeff, or Eric and Johnny . to get your fix this will always be with me

other times its full on tull , floyd, crimson kings, and Yes many more

But I also like esoteric meditative and some newer artists as well what ever rubs the budha for the moment

suthol

Friend of Leo's
I have Experienced and Axis plus some other stuff, I dig in from time to time on YT but in my late teens and early 20s he was an obsession.

He did write the odd nice tune though

Jared Purdy

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
A lot of his songs are still popular namely Little Wing, Watchtower, Voodoo Child. But how many actually put on one of his albums to listen to? All have great music but the lyrics are definitely dated.

I put on Crash Landing the other day and it was okay.

Rarely, but then I rarely play any "rock" music any more. Still, I'd never get rid of his albums.

The last "rock" album I played, was the six LP set of the Last Waltz. I didn't even manage to pay homage to Woodstock this past August.

rze99

Doctor of Teleocity
Specific stuff. I also like to see his performances when the recorded sound is also good. Was just an incredible showman and cool with it.

I really want to see the fully restored Royal Albert Hall. Excellent audio quality from the released tracks I’ve heard.

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
I last listened to First Rays of the New Rising Sun a couple of years ago. That’s the only one I own. I like it just fine but I’m usually in the mood for other stuff.