1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Many Singers in Your Band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by alnico357, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

What H Pedals do you use?

2. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

@Pineears This one...
    73602801-2504-4D2E-863E-0D8DC3D354E2.jpeg

I’m surprised how well it works with the bass. Only problem is when there are minor chords, the bass player’s harmony pedal won’t catch them. Careful song/singer selection is required.

3. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

I saw Emmylou Harris and when she played "Hard Times," she called her drummer up to the mic. "This is a National League Band. Everybody sings."

Jim W, SlideGuy123 and Flat6Driver like this.
  4. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Four players, all singers.

The audience, if polled, might not necessarily agree with that analysis...

srblue5 and Flat6Driver like this.
  5. klaus

klaus TDPRI Member

Perfect to have one than one lead singer! In fact in our band with five men and one woman I'm the only man that sings lead, but our new lead guitarist would be good enough to sing 1st voice and I encourage him to do that after he has settled completely in the band.

Drummer and keyboarder will go on singing harmony - they're just not good enough for something else. If they would be good enough, I'd encourage them, too! Having written that I hope that I'm not one of those lead singers that don't lets the others sing ;-)

6. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Tele-Meister

Currently two of us (out of four) trade lead and harmony vocals. Guitar player and I have been singing together for 40 years, starting with a newgrass band in college. We always had at least one more voice, and I definitely miss 3 part or 4 part harmonies. But we make it work. He and I also have a semi acoustic duo. Can’t wait to get back out playing!

7. yamatele

yamatele TDPRI Member

Harkens back to the days of playing Top 40 dances. We all sang - you had to - to be able to do Beatles/Invasion, Beach Boys, Motown - you name it. It forced you to have really tight bands that rehearsed like crazy. Then , throw together blues trios with croaking Dylan - like guitar players took over cuz it was cheap - $50/piece of the door, etc.. In the '60's dances paid $600 - that's $ 4,610.16 in today's money. People ask me if I'm going to put another band together after the Covid All Clear. I just laugh. If I ever go out again it'll be a solo jazz gig.

8. nate70

nate70 TDPRI Member

My favorite band I'm playing in now has no singers. We play instrumental surf rock.

9. ggiacomini

ggiacomini TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

We're a trio in our current iteration, so the 2 on the front sing lead and harmony (80% me on lead) and the drummer does BVs occasionally.

10. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

I think I answered an ad by that band leader

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

In the Bad Dog, theres a thread about the Bottle rockets retiring.

I've learned it's a lot of effing work to get out there and play for a couple of bucks. One of the guys in my band was like "things should be opening soon". I'm like, "good luck with that...sell a gig maybe I'll show up". This was after we stopped mid song for an easy song that we were butchering the vocals on. Butchering. My wife later told me that specific song sounded bad. (Glad I wasn't lead vox on that one...)

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My band is a solo act, so three (me, myself and I) as I use a harmonizer from time to time.:)

13. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

• My last band, just one very good singer (definitely not me)
    • My 2nd to last band, one very good singer, and two just-okay singers (definitely not me)

14. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Likely he’d have to play the minor chord. I use the TCH Play Electric. It Aallowed me to get ride of all the other guitar pedals image.jpg

15. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

In my main band, all of us (except our current drummer) can sing but the lead singer/guitarist does about 60% of the vocals, I do about 25%, and the bassist does the rest. Our previous drummer sang a few songs in rehearsals but rarely got to at our gigs, for some reason.

My other band is a worship/wedding band that has 4-5 rotating lead singers. No need for me to sing with them (especially since one of the singers is quite critical of every aspect of the music so I'd hate to cross him).

16. Reivaj

Reivaj TDPRI Member

I really like that as a listener. I hate it when the managers or A&Rs tell bands “you need to decide who’s the lead singer” because the want to sell all the cliches that have worked for them (probably without having tryed anything fresh ever).

17. jayroc1

jayroc1 Tele-Meister

46 if I don't take my meds

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my Bands, you have to Sing your way in.
    If you sing even marginally well, it goes a Long way.
    The big plus is, some body can have an off night with a cold.
    You have enough people ready, willing and, more than able to pick up the slack.

19. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.