1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How Many Singers in Your Band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by alnico357, Feb 26, 2021.

1. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

Everyone in the band has to sing. Ducking out is letting your teamies down.

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

My drummer, with whom I've played off and on since 1966, usually gets one or two songs, and that's it. He's really not good enough for more......:(

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For some reason every band I've been in, everybody could sing and usually everybody did sing. Maybe the drummer wouldn't.

I like it that way (the more the merrier with good vocals).

Chicago Matt likes this.
  4. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

That was quite the saga. I'd be interested to hear updates just out of lurid curiosity, sort of like watching Spinal Tap go downhill. Hope your later bands were better and better for you!

So that's a huge peeve of mine: two or more singers that are not singing harmony, but the same vocal lines, and often clashing. It's worse than a single singer would sound. It's not that hard to sing harmony but takes some focused effort if one hasn't been in a choir, etc. (That's for a band situation, that is, not when having a sing a long or choir or such.)

Flat6Driver and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

3 of 4, unless our former drummer is also there on percussion, then it's 4 of 5 ... none of us have really great voices but we've compiled a songlist over the years that works best for us vocally.

6. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I have been the singer in bands I've been in, with others doing backup or singing a couple of songs. Probably ended up that way because I can remember lyrics, and play at the same time; also it's fun to sing:)
    I've been playing for a jazz singer, it was her band when I joined and she did the singing. We pretty soon found that duets go over really well so I sing probably 25% of the time.
    Having more than one singer adds another level of interest to a band.

teletimetx, nojazzhere and SRHmusic like this.
  7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

There is a lot of talk about "band leaders." That has never worked for me. If anyone in our band proclaimed himself "leader" he would be told where to go and what to do when he got there.

We all make decisions. We have a wide range of musical "likes" and our diversity makes us popular. We go from Merle to Blue Oyster Cult to the Bee Gees to Radio Head to The Doors to Eddie Rabbit to The Hollies to etc. We play songs that one guy likes and another guy would never play of his own free will. :p

That's what happen when you have 4 vocalists.

Stain likes this.
  8. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I'm in two bands, singing is the weak point of both bands, myself included. We all want badly to sing, you can fill in the rest. The "lead" singers aren't terrible, but I yearn for a band member that carries the band, not the other way around.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Jakedog likes this.
  10. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My band has 2 guys (myself and B) that share the bulk of the lead singing, drummer contributes about 1 per set for the variety. I really only learned to sing about 4 years ago (really, that was when I finally managed to separate the functions well enough to play bass and sing simultaneously...my voice I still pretty nasally and I am working on that) and had played years with someone else doing the singing.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  11. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

One lead singer (who sometimes shakes some percussion), and I do some backing vocals / harmonies: I’m not terribly good but I’m the only one (of the 5 instrumentalists) who will sing.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have a dedicated band right now, just some guys that I get together and jam with. One of them can sing but usually plays lead and leaves the singing to me.
    What I'd really like to do is add a female vocalist, some of the stuff in head that I want to record just needs a female vocal.

13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I could say almost this for everyone in my current group. I call it a "group" because we don't have the traditional band format (mostly acoustic, little-to-no percussion or drums).

Two of us could handle being a lead singer, but our voices pale in comparison to the other two, who are fantastic lead singers. Needless to say, the harmonies are glorious. It is a wonderful place to be, musically. I am increasingly coming to believe that great vocals are what makes a great band/group.

Flat6Driver and teletail like this.
  14. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

The bands I play with all have multiple lead and harmony singers. The R&B band I’m in, the drummer and I split lead singer duties, and depending on who’s on keys on a particular gig we might have a third. My country band has a main lead singer and front man, but all of us sing lead and harmony as well. It’s pretty much the same with other bands I play with, as a matter of fact, I don’t know if I’ve ever played in a band with just one singer. If I did it was a long time ago. Ability to sing factors in to sub choices as well, at least if I’m finding the sub.

15. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Well four of us sing. But I’m not sure if we can be considered “singers”....

16. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Well... I some of them YES, I rule. I rule in my Rock covers trio (I am starting to make original) In my real (old originals) quintet band we are equal but as I make most of the songs and I book the gigs I quite rule. In my acoustic duo I rule. In my Rockabilly band the upright player rules, in my garaje band the singer rules, in my jazz duo she rules... But all of them are "my band"

Now... rule... well... we are friends, we talk and we try to be keen on the the rest of the band, we buy beers each others and help as much as anybody can. But if somebody works more than the rest, deserves more voting ratio (so... he rules :lol:)

YES, you are right. Maybe I sound a little rude. Is not my intention, just a translation thing. English is not my mother tonge and sometimes this happens

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

4 out of 5.. the drummer just drools

i generally do more BVs recording than live though. I am needing less autotune too these days.

18. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

What really matters is EVERYONE on stage looking busy, committed, involved, showing they're putting in.. 'Macht show!'
    Contributing vocals- however modest keeps your head up, pushes you to deal with any stage anxiety and engage with the audience.

19. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Not that our band has played together for over a year - but from what I recall we have a lead singer and myself and the bass player add harmonies.

AAT65 likes this.
  20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

All four of us sing really well, and we all harmonize behind each other.

Lisa is our lead singer in that she carries the lead vocals on most of our songs, she's front and center, and she plays no instruments.

When one of us fellows sings the lead vocals, it's usually because that particular song just sounds better with us singing it.

For example, my voice is the right one for Neil Young songs, Tom Petty songs, Elvis Presley, Stray Cats, and some of my originals.

Brother Stacey is the right one for all The Eagles songs, Def Leppard, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, etc.

Drummer Joe just plain sounds right on certain specific songs by Pink Floyd, Radiohead, and Cheap Trick.

If any of us are singing lead, and break away to cough, sneeze, or (God forbid, stumble on remembering the lyrics) somebody else in the band instantly takes the lead.
    It's funny how intuitive that has become.

We have a close friend, David, who fills in on bass guitar sometimes, in cases where we come up one band member short for a given job. Sometimes he comes and plays gigs with us, and that opens us up to become a five-member, dual guitar band.

David loves it that we encourage him to sing, and empower him to lean in on the harmonies. In his main band, a southern rock combo, there's the singer over here, there's the lead guitar player over there, the never shall twain, and its more stove-piped.

I have written some of the originals for a woman's voice lately, so Lisa will do those once we get back to the post-covid world of performing, hopefully soon.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

Togman and Chicago Matt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.