How many sets of strings do you keep on hand?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrGibbly, Jun 14, 2019.

How many sets of strings do you keep on hand?

This poll will close on Aug 9, 2019 at 10:24 PM.
  1. Zero, none, nada

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. You mean *complete* sets? Ennnnhhh...

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. 1-2 in each gauge and type I use

13 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. 3-5 sets

50 vote(s)
    56.2%
  5. More than Guitar Center...

20 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Just bought a 10 pack of roundwound .011s because I thought that's what I play on semi acoustics but then I went into a phase of experimentation – gauges, flatwounds – so I may have like 12 Sets in the house currently. For gigs I take usually have 3-4 individual strings of the usual suspects and at least one complete set – though I didn't break a string on a gig in years. My superstition is that on the first gig I forget the spare strings I will break several.

2. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Tele-Afflicted

I have 5 sets of Elixir 10 to 47's which are for my Ovation and Takamine with 5 more sets on the way.

I also have 3 sets of Martin 10 to 47's for My Sigma accoustic

I have 3 sets of D'Darrio 10 to 47's which is the only string I like on my Epiphone EJ200C

Also I have 5 pks of Elixir 9 to 46's for my SessionStrat and Emons Tele which are in their respective cases not been out for at least 2 years.. S

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I try to keep about 10-12 sets, a mix of gauges, varieties and brands in case i feel like throwing something different on a particular guitar to see what happens. While I generally play 11s, occasionally I will throw on something lighter or something with a wound G or flat wounds, pure nickel or nickel wound. I even have a few super light sets just in case I'm feeling weak.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I keep a set in each instrument case, and I probably have 50 sets at the house for various instruments. Maybe more. I prefer fresh strings, and feel like strings can corrode and loose some precision so I don't like to stock pile, but I've accumulated sets from instrument purchases, flea markets, and extra sets for various instruments and they've just piled up. Handy though.

5. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Buy in bulk and save!
    I buy 10 packs, and never wait until it's too critical. I use 10-46 on all my electrics, and change 'em pretty regularly, but I still wind up with extras!
    I only have 3* acoustics that use different strings - so I usually buy 3 packs ata time or less (*my reso strings don't get changed much.)

6. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Electrics 3-5...acoustic 1-3...bass 1-3. I change electric strings often (2 gigs or 8 actual hours).

Nick Fanis likes this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I buy the 12 packs on Amazon of the Ernie Ball Pink pack, my strings last forever since my hands don’t sweat. My one friend could ruin a set in ten minutes or less so I only let him touch my one guitar and I just refused to change strings till he’d break one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

3-4 sets of 10-46
    3-4 of .09-.46
    3-4 of acoustic light
    1 acoustic medium
    some spare e and b strings
    set of bass strings.

DekeDog likes this.
  9. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Every now and then, I'll buy ten sets of 52-11s, plus some 52-12s, for slide, some different 52-12s for acoustic plus some 56-16s, for Resos. I always take two spare sets to a gig and I change the ones on the guitars in the rotation, every couple of weeks. So yes, I have a box full of strings, half sets, lonely singles, misfits and oddities.....often in gauges guitar shops don't carry.

10. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have 10 new sets in the closet, plus spares in my guitar case. Since I only change strings about every 18 months or so, and I have two telecasters, and given my age, this could be a lifetime supply.

11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I keep it very simple/ streamlined anymore:
    I have 3 electrics, all using D'addario XL's , 10-46, and basically gig with just one guitar with fresh strings, one spare set

On my acoustics ( 2) it's John Pearse usually, (sometimes GHS, or D'addario)
    lights, either PB or 80/20's - once again fresh set on guitar, plus spare set
    * just keep a few spares at home, and order from JustStrings.com every few weeks...

12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I get them by the case of 10 or 12. When I get down to a 2-3 sets, I order a new case. It's a little cheaper.

13. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I've got 3 sets at the moment. I've got 8 guitars and haven't restrung any of them since 2007.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

Well, probably not more than GC, but definitely more than the Mom and Pop store down the street...

I buy in bulk, usually 10-12 sets of any given string type. I play different instruments in different bands and do repairs, setups and custom builds, so I have a lot of strings on hand.

I use 3 different gauges on my various solid-body and semi-hollow electrics, 2 different gauges on my flat top acoustics, Silk and Steels on a couple of antique flat tops, flat wounds on my full bodied archtops, heavy custom gauge sets on my lap steels, stainless roundwounds on my basses, flatwounds on my fretless bass and phosphor bronze rounds on my acoustic bass. I also keep mandolin and ukelele sets laying around. At any given point in time there are probably a couple hundred various sets in the bins by my bench. I probably have 2-300 singles in various sizes/types as well.

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I've got sets of strings in cases, in the bottoms of amps no idea how many really. Use the same gauge on all my electrics but ain't really fussy on brand, but I don't buy the cheapest ones.

16. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

When I'm down to 3 - 5 sets it's time to shop around.
    Acoustic strings and electric in boxes of ten. do some brands sell 'em in dozens?

17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Sometimes, as many as four.

18. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I have 3-4 since I always buy the 3-packs to get the discount of a few cents off each pack on Amazon. :lol:

chulaivet1966 likes this.
  19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I keep about three sets of each gauge I use. Sometimes more of the ones I use most.

20. GeoB

GeoB Tele-Holic

I buy in bulk.
    .010 for the Holdsworth
    .011 wound G for the 335 which I sold so I'll use those on the tele.
    .012 for the tele Plain G
    .013 flats for the jazz box

.012 Bronze for the acoustic

With the exception of the bronze everything else is nickel & Chrome for the flats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.