How Many Precision Rifle Shooters Do We have here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TC6969, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to do a lot of shooting with a Remington 700BDL Deluxe in .22-.250. Great sport.

2. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Well, I went back today and my first three shots went into the same hole!

Every single shot after that went EVERYWHERE!

My groups looked like I used a shotgun, and I could barely cover them with my fist.

I even took the time to breathe, and I got the heartbeat problem figured out (Too much cheek pressure on the stock.)

I think I have a gun problem, but I cant see anything obviously wrong with it.

3. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

Sounds like your barrel is heating up.

4. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Is the barrel free-floating? Action glass-bedded?

As short and thick as that barrel is, I don't think heat build-up should be an issue.

5. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

In shooting circles, that's called "minute of pie plate" accuracy. :D

6. backporch guy

Sounds to me like you're flinching. Have a buddy watch you shoot and see if you're not subconciously lifting your head right at or before the rifle goes off. If you can put the first 3 shots in the same hole, they all should go in the same hole. You might also try relaxing a bit, not worry too much about your breathing and all that and just squeeze the trigger. It's probably a matter of practice and getting used to the rifle's recoil. I used to have a Remington 700 with a 20" barrel, and the first few times I shot it at the range, I got the same result: first 2 shots touching, the next one might go any where. The range officer was watching me, and told me I was "flinching". I was anticipating the recoil and subconsciously lifting up right at detonation. I started concentrating on relaxing, and trying to see the target through the scope through the shot ("follow through"), and was pretty soon able to shoot some good groups more consistently. Good luck.

7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Nope!

I took the time between groups to wait until it was cold again, not to mention its the diameter of a quarter, so it takes more than 5 shots to heat it up.

E5RSY: Its free floated and pillar bedded only.

I'm leaning towards that being my problem.

The Savage basic stock is well known for being very flimsy.

8. backporch guy

Get rid of the bipod and the kitty litter, use a front rest and a rear bag filled with something heavy. Mine were filled with lead shot

9. tonedreamer

tonedreamer Tele-Holic

hmm.. could be copper fouling, have you ever ran copper cleaning solvent through it? If you do, be sure to use a nylon brush, not a brass brush. The copper solvent will eat the brass brush.

10. E5RSY

If it's free-floated and pillar-bedded, that's all most any rifle needs to shoot well. You should be good-to-go. Then again, some rifles like a little pressure on the fore-end tip instead of being free-floated.

Hopefully, you have been cleaning the barrel from the breech end with a bore guide. Running a cleaning rod through it from the muzzle end can result in a damaged crown, which will screw up groups royally.

I wish you lived closer. We could go wring it out together and get it fixed.

Scott

p.s. At this point, I usually start looking hard at something with the glass being the problem, instead of the rifle. Make sure the mounts are tight on the gun and the rings tight on the scope.

11. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

Seems like copper fouling should creep up a little more gradually. Action screws tight? What kind of scope is it?

12. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Yeah its funny that it shot the 200 yard 3 shot one holer that it did and then took a $h1t on me.

I'm gonna get a brush and check for copper fouling tomorrow.

It could also be action screws.

I originally torqued them by feel only with no loctite, so I may have a problem there.

The scope is good to go.

Its a Bushnell Elite (AKA Bausch & Lomb tactical).

Its been professionally set up with Burris Extreme rings and a Blackhawk 20 MOA one piece mount.

I'll work on these issues and check back.

Thanks Guys!

13. E5RSY

If you're gonna play with taking the action out (I never do this, by the way), you need to invest in a torque-driver, both to get it at the right tightness and to aid in returning it exactly where it needs to be each time it's removed. That rifle probably needs somewhere around 70 inch-lbs (I'm guessing here) of torque on each screw. Brownells is your friend:

www.brownells.com

14. jb12string

jb12string Tele-Afflicted

May want to just make sure nothing on the scope mounts has come loose. Also, Even being a good quality scope doesn't preclude something going haywire inside of it either.

15. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Lever action, open sights, fifty yards"
    I'm not sure if this was offhand standing upright on hind legs but I would call it pretty darn decent if it was. I would also have to say that in most "internet" shooting circles everybody shoots 1/2 MOA, from the hip, at 1000 yards in a hurricane...

16. backporch guy

Didn't you see the the little green guy with the sh-- eating grin at the end of my post? I was just kidding with Buckocaster. No disrespect meant.

17. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well I sure should have included the smiley myself. I've got a lever gun and I thought that group was pretty alright...but I didn't mean to hack on you. Apologies...:oops:

18. twintwelve

twintwelve Tele-Afflicted

I've rung the gong at 200 yds using my scoped 8mm Turkish Mauser-I have a cheap scope that replaces the adjustable site, and fire clean surplus Czech stuff. I've gotten decent groups on paper (with my wife on the spotting scope) using 1903 Springfield, M1895 Steyr in 8x56r, Mosin-Nagant short (M38) and long (three line) rifles, 1888 Mauser Gewehr in 7.92x57, SKS (barely on the paper), M48 Mauser, a friend's Krag (sweet)), and CVA Kentucky and Cabela's Hawken BP rifles, the CVA with a Williams peep site, firing minie balls. Most of this half-decent shooting was done 10+ years ago when I wasn't so effin' blind. I've always been a MUCH better pistol shooter, especially revolvers...got them big soft hands Steven Hunter writes about. Wish I still had all those rifles, too.......

19. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Get a really good front rest, that is adjustable & a rear benchrest bag. Get rid of that bipod thing on the Savage forestock... don't use it!

Learn really good technique of breathing, breath hold, palming the rear bag with your non-trigger finger hand, pressing the trigger with the correct index finger 2nd pad and so forth. From the time you hold your breath, you have about 5 - 7 secs for the shot before you should abort and start over. When the shot goes off, it should be a complete surprise to you and the last sight picture you see, should be where the bullet prints on the target. I got trained 10 yrs ago by a retired Navy SEAL Gunny on a 3 day precision rifle course. That was a great experience.

I develop loads for my hunting rifles. Here's a load development target for my 270 WSM in a Win M70 using a 130gr Swift Scirocco and ReLoder 19. 5 shots in 0.383" at 100 yds through the chronograph at 3300 fps. That load has taken quite a few good game animals.

[​IMG]

Here's a target from developing a load for my Browning A-Bolt 375 H&H Magnum, using a 300gr Swift A-Frame and IMR-4350. The first shot was higher than I wanted, so I made a vertical scope adjustment and shot 3 rounds into 0.56" at 100yds. This is a really good stopper round for dangerous game.

[​IMG].

Like acquiring any skill, it takes time to learn the techniques and methods to do it well! My longest instant kill single shot, is 432 yds.

20. jonal335

jonal335 Tele-Holic

I read about these many years ago and I was really impressed. Guys would shoot, standing, with no scope, at a 2" target 200 yards away. Often hitting 25 or more in a row...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_-xGH02JIE

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.