How many plugins do you use?

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
I'm just starting to get into recording and gathering the gear necessary- not to make finished songs, but more to learn about plugins, IR's, the process, etc...

I've been binging studio's on youtube and have been somewhat surprised about the number of Apollo interfaces. I assume the reason is the onboard processing allows more plugins to be used and with less latency than the computer running them.

How many plugins do you typically use for this to be an advantage? I'm planning on running my pedalboard into a UA Dream 65 and into an interface. The vast majority of the time will be direct monitoring and having fun, while I will occasionally use the DAW to learn.

klasaine

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Apollo interfaces are great, I use one (Twin X Quad).
Typically, for actual recording I use two or three plugins: pre-amp, compressor, maybe an effect or two.

burtonfan

Tele-Afflicted
None. I record direct to a Tascam DP32. I put the effects directly on the track old school style, sounds fantastic! It's the way I was taught back in the early 80's and it still works for me. As an added bonus, there's less to fool around with in the mastering phase.

I always say KISS (not the band): keep it simple stupid!

InstituteOfNoise

Tele-Holic
I'm an Apollo user (Quad rack and x8p units). Assuming you asking for guitars... I'll typically use the 1073 unison into either the LA-2 (not the A) possibly the LA3A in some cases. Once in a rare bit I may use a different unison depending on the production. My guitar templates are all saved, so setup to recording is typically under a minute in Pro Tools. Takes more time to setup mics. Any effects are not printed (reverb/delay, etc) and monitoring only, but the input chain is printed to Pro Tools.

loudboy

Tele-Afflicted
I use whatever's necessary.

Generally just EQ and maybe some compression on tracks.

An EQ and some compression on the Drum Buss.

A few reverbs and maybe delay on Aux Busses.

I have a preset 2-Buss chain with some processing that I use lightly to glue stuff together - not heavy anything, I leave that for mastering.

I'm trying to limit my use to just a handful that I know and like - there's so many choices that it can be overwhelming.

mandoloony

Tele-Meister
Yup, whatever's necessary. In a given mix that's very roughly a dozen plugins, some of which are repeated across several tracks. Then there are maybe another dozen plugins that I use rarely.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
For mixing, I can get by with just the Waves SSL E-Channel Strip, Valhalla Room, a buss compressor (SSL or whatever, lots of options), and Voxengo SPAN on the master buss. This starts with tracking - if the sounds captured during recording are great, the less I need to clean up and the simpler the tools can be.

That said, I use a lot of plugins that I have gotten comfortable with in some roles.

I use the Waves J37 and T-Racks Tape for tape simulation. I might use Waves Kramer Master Tape if I want to get really dirty or on a drum bus, which it excels at (the Kramer HLS also gets wonderfully dirty). I will sometimes use the J37 as a delay as well.

I often use the ancient Abbey Road RS124 (not the Waves version, which I have not tried yet) as my buss comp.

I use Waves' Metaflanger for most modulation effects.

If I want the mix to be LOUD, Maserati GRP set to Master on the main buss works great, though I will probly add this during mastering rather than mixing.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
None. I don't care for all the buttonology. No IRs either. More stuff to tweak means less time for me actually making music.

I have messed with this stuff in the studio, but I really have no use for it all.

YMMV.

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
For mixing, I can get by with just the Waves SSL E-Channel Strip, Valhalla Room, a buss compressor (SSL or whatever, lots of options), and Voxengo SPAN on the master buss. This starts with tracking - if the sounds captured during recording are great, the less I need to clean up and the simpler the tools can be.

That said, I use a lot of plugins that I have gotten comfortable with in some roles.

I use the Waves J37 and T-Racks Tape for tape simulation. I might use Waves Kramer Master Tape if I want to get really dirty or on a drum bus, which it excels at (the Kramer HLS also gets wonderfully dirty). I will sometimes use the J37 as a delay as well.

I often use the ancient Abbey Road RS124 (not the Waves version, which I have not tried yet) as my buss comp.

I use Waves' Metaflanger for most modulation effects.

If I want the mix to be LOUD, Maserati GRP set to Master on the main buss works great, though I will probly add this during mastering rather than mixing.
What are you using for an interface? Are the plugins powered by your computer or the interface? Thanks!

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
What are you using for an interface? Are the plugins powered by your computer or the interface? Thanks!

I use a couple of ancient MOTU 2408 Mk II as my interfaces. All the processing is in the computer. It's a controversial topic, but I put little stock in plugins that are powered by the interface. I believe the 'advantage' of using an additional processor is largely hype intended to sell expensive dongles.

I can run effectively an infinite number of Waves SSL Channel Strips on my several years old rig. I don't need another processor to help out.

Last edited:

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Read about Universal Audio Apollo Unison Technology and you will see why these interfaces are so popular. Computers have gotten more powerful and native plugins are much better now so it's less about DSP than it used to be. Even UA is releasing plugins native now. But the unison technology and setting up a recording chain to be printed or not (you can choose not to print your inserts and print your dry signal to be mixed later) going in with their Console is where the Apollo shines.

Last edited:

WireLine

Tele-Afflicted
Not as many as I used to, for certain. Generally prefer to capture the source with better mics and such, insert the same mixer on all channels and adjust accordingly, reverbs and delays on aux sends.

Tend to render MIDI drums and keys to audio as soon as they are time locked as well.

Put another way, analog work habits.

klasaine

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Addendum ...
The Unison feature on the UA 'Apollo' interfaces is kind of incredible.
The UAd (along with Brainworx) amp models coupled with the Unison tech really ups the game. So much in fact that in my initial post I forgot to mention that I will many times use an amp model plus a pre/EQ/comp and maybe an effect (usually just a little delay or a 'room' sound).
The Unison thing makes it possible to record in real time with no noticeable latency (sub-2ms).

Yes, an Apollo interface can be expensive but IMO, they're totally worth the extra scratch.

LaMarr-Bruister

TDPRI Member
Addendum ...
The Unison feature on the UA 'Apollo' interfaces is kind of incredible.
The UAd (along with Brainworx) amp models coupled with the Unison tech really ups the game. So much in fact that in my initial post I forgot to mention that I will many times use an amp model plus a pre/EQ/comp and maybe an effect (usually just a little delay or a 'room' sound).
The Unison thing makes it possible to record in real time with no noticeable latency (sub-2ms).

Yes, an Apollo interface can be expensive but IMO, they're totally worth the extra scratch.
Am I correct in assuming that you can only use UA plugins with the Apollo interfaces- at least in real time?

I'm really just fooling around with recording to learn about the process and have something shiny and new to play with. Most of the time will be spent just playing guitar through monitors at times when playing through my main amps is a bit too loud. I've been spending a lot of time lately practicing and realizing that the volume can come way down and still be ok for practice. I'm hoping to get around 70dB's for at home usage and save my ears.

klasaine

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Am I correct in assuming that you can only use UA plugins with the Apollo interfaces- at least in real time?
Correct.
To play or record in "real-time" with UAd plugins you need an Apollo interface (UAd PCIe cards and Satellites do not count).
Also, I highly recommend being on a Mac, 2015 or later.
Lotsa folks with UA on Windows machines (as well as older macs) but you need to enjoy tweaking and re-configuring your system.

As always ... YMMV.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Depending on track any of the following.
EQ
Reverb
Delay
Compression
Gain

I also use virtual instrument plugins occasionally.

I only use the built in plugins provided in Logic. I have tried third party plugins but, even though I know many are better than Logic’s, I can’t hear the difference because I have tin ears.

GoldieLocks

Friend of Leo's
I decided to use REAPER as my DAW (I tried a few other...) I got a whack of free plugins and spent a year playing with the INCLUDED Reaper plugins. But in the last 2 years I decided to go mostly with Waves plugins (no bugs, cheap, often excellent, good packages. Annoying marketing but you don't have to buy -- and you learn alot from their offerings).

I often use different plugins based on their C.P.U. usage. Some are great but bog down your whole computer... so you switch to other "lighter" plugins that mostly do the same thing. Depends on how many tracks are in your song.

I don't have any personal pre-sets anymore. Every song I do gets treated differently. (Rock, Country, Jazz, Christmas folk music, Electronic, Podcast, Cartoon audio, Blues...). DAW mixing is the funnest thing in the world. Plugins give you endless variety.
You need Reverbs, Compressors, Tube and tape emulators, limiters, Eq's and channel strips, mastering tools. editing tools. Weirdly, the looks of plugins really determines your brain power and workflow: some look like a spaceship, other look like a Chevy dashboard. Some have 1 knob -- others have a 1,000.

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
My computer is pretty old (I think it has 8 gigs of ram. No less than 4, no more than 8 but I forget what it is exactly. It's an old Dell desktop) and it's not had an issue with the plug ins I've used on reaper. I don't use a ton though. But I do have a tenancy to use them for each track. Which is likely more than someone setting up busses.
compression and EQ on every track. Some reverb maybe. Maybe delay. one or the other. Or nothing. Sometimes something else a bit funky. that's about it....

I've been trying to use the reverb in my room. Which isn't always successful. I have a thing where two tracks of one guitar seems like too much. And one track is a bit bare. LOL. So I'm always a bit in between trying to figure out what to do. Most of the time I'm keeping bass and guitar to one track each but I sometimes use a distant mic to bring in some natural reverb. Same with vocals. I'm much more liberal with my vocal tracks though. There's usually never less than 2.

I took my carpet off of my floor to see if I'm getting a build up of subs and lows. We will see if it cleans up some mud and I can use more than one guitar track without thinking it's too much. Obviously you can hipass the 2nd track aggressively but....

Fact is I like stuff super simple if I can make it sound good. To me.... LOL.