How Many People Were Really at Woodstock?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chip, Aug 26, 2019.

1. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

500,000 if you include Sly and the Family Stone.

GuitarKid, Omiewise65 and verb boten like this.
  2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Band’s set is available and it’s great

The Allman’s set is highly recommended . The definitive version of Dreams. They might have done 2 sets . I forget. The one they released officially is the one I mean.

DonM likes this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

I think the Woodstock film is a great document of what people wanted to happen, as opposed to what actually happened. My guess is that between 250000 and 400000 people attended over the four days. But as was said above, most on the middle 2 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stratofortress likes this.
  4. O- Fender

O- Fender Tele-Afflicted

In the summer of '69, my parents loaded us kids into the car and took us to Woodstock.

... Ontario, Canada. We have relatives in that area.

5. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can name two people who were definitely not at Woodstock. Me and Joni Mitchell.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

And Elvis' death don't forget that! Oh, and there's Andy Kaufman too.

Chunkocaster, Omiewise65 and beagle like this.
  7. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Not many of us hippies left.

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

............. well crap......... I was just counting them and your question made me lose track, now I have to start all over. :mad:

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I believe the crowd was half a million strong. I’m sure Joni Mitchell wouldn’t lie about something like that.

10. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

11. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I like to start with generalities and work in, to specifics.

Every US member of TDPRI, over the age of 65, was there- unless you tell us otherwise.

All of us older European members saw Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, you know....

:rolleyes:;):cool::lol:

12. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Allow me to add my 2c to this interesting discussion. I am a Self Identified Festival Attendance Expert. I just christened myself thusly. Neat, huh?
    :lol:

Seriously: I have been to a lot (and I mean A LOT) of festivals. Occasionally, on various fan message boards, Facebook fan pages, etc., the attendance for this or that event is discussed and mulled over and argued about.

Much confusion arises from published attendance figures. Further confusion ensues, when one realizes that *many festivals do not publish their attendance figures*, for various reasons. And that leaves us fans left to make guesses. And guessing, as they say at NASA, can be hazardous. :rolleyes:

Here is how festival attendance is determined: Each day's admits, is counted EACH DAY that the event happens. So let's look at a modern festival, where there is camping and your camping is included in the price... and there's actual crowd control and entry points. Typically, you're buying a three or four day pass, and you get a wristband for the duration. So, you spent $$ for the weekend pass... you're just one guy, but if it's (eg) last weekend's Lockn' fest, you were counted FOUR TIMES (that one was four days long). You went into the fest each of four days. Now that's only ONE ticket sold, but you're counted for each day you're there.

Oddly, many large festivals don't publicize their attendance numbers, or only approximate them. I'm not sure really why this is, I guess they figure it's nobody's business. OTOH, there's my local fest, Sunfest... it operates as a nonprofit, with a lot of volunteers and corporate sponsorship. It was started 30 years ago, to promote the city, and they do publish their attendance. It's done on a one mile stretch of boulevard along the intracoastal waterway, and if you look at the footprint, you'd be rather stunned to think: 280,000 people in that space?? NO WAY. Until you realize they're talking about a five day total. Still, it gets crowded, but at most there's 60-70k there on a single weekend day. If it rains, the attendance goes way down... there's no camping, and nobody is 'captive' like they would be at a Woodstock or Bonnaroo.

Of course, for Woodstock 1969, there were no gates and almost no crowd management, so it's always been a guess. But for as long as I have been going to festivals, the above is my understanding of how festival attendance is calculated. So if there's 150,000 in the big Yasger Farm field, this could partly explain how someone would say half a million (150k x three days = 450k). Would it have been in certain parties interests, to inflate the Woodstock number? Sure. But there's also reasonable explanations for how you might get to the half a million number.

You would not believe the number of arguments I've had with folks that cannot wrap their head around the idea that you get counted multiple times at that fest you just went to, even though you bought only one ticket. I will also say that eyewitness guesstimates for 'how big is this crowd?' you're standing in, can vary wildly. Even with good pictures and some science, it's not an easy thing to determine, without actual gate numbers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    2 Headed Goat and Chip like this.
  13. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

:lol:
    How many people were in that band?!! A dozen? More?

I sure love their music. :cool:

TeleTex82 likes this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I'm over 65 but I was not there. In fact, I don't know anyone personally who was there although I have met folks who claimed to be there.

While not as steep as a football stadium, Yasgur's farm was a natural amphitheater. I don't know the slope of the "bowl" but in looking at the PBS special it appeared to be fairly pronounced. The photos of the event shows the density of the crowd. The photos below compare aerial views of Woodstock and Michigan's Big House. Obviously the photos were taken at different altitudes and distance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

verb boten likes this.
  15. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

I thought Joni Mitchell said she came upon a child at dawn. He was walking along the road and she asked him where he was going.

So that makes two?

Of course later she says "we were half a million strong"

So you really can't trust her skills of observation.

Stubee and william tele like this.
  16. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

...and Bob Dylan if I remember the story correctly he lived there but went to England for the week instead.

Anyway, the answer to the OP's question is 'not as many as saw the Sex Pistols, apparently.'

17. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

5 000 000 according to the promoters, 5 000 according to the police.

Flaneur and Toto'sDad like this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Now that right there's a guy who if he comes on the radio while you're driving can cause you to run your car right off a cliff.

19. Toto'sDad

l have carefully studied all of the fake photos of Woodstock, which wasn't even at Woodstock, and concluded since I wasn't there, that only about forty three pour tortured souls attended "Woodstock" which wasn't at Woodstock. The moon landing was faked at a studio in Burbank, and Elvis actually lives next door to me, and we chat at the mailbox when he's up to lumbering over there. NEXT!

stinkey and Obsessed like this.
  20. Toto'sDad

Oh c'mon, the police weren't even formed until 1977!

Moriarty, Texicaster and johnny k like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.