How many pedals can One Spot power up?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jguitarman, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

I have a pedalboard with a Peterson Strobo Stomp, a Fulltone Clyde wah, an OCD, a Fat Boost, Boss Reverb and Boss Chorus. I was told recenly that the One Spot should be replaced with a power brick. The same person said that using a One Spot to power up too many pedals can cause problems.

Is this true? If so what should I use for a power source?

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Digital pedals draw a lot more power than analog pedals. Its possible that the Reverb will cause some issues, but the other pedals probably won't draw enough to be an issue. If you are getting noise, take out the Reverb and test it again.

If you want to isolate everything properly, the Voodoo Labs is a great way to go. The Dunlop is a glorified One Spot. It doesn't regulate the power like the VL power supply.

3. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

The one spot is 1700ma? That's a lot of current - but as said, theres no isolation to it.
    I'd have thought it was enough to power what you have there, but the problem with any daisy chain is that if theres a problem with the cable anywhere it affects everything else.
    So get a regulated power supply - The VL is really a great PS but are pricey - The BBE supa charger gets a good rap here and is not going to break the bank. Im also using the new joyo one which has been great I have to say.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  4. luckett

luckett Banned

The one spot is regulated.

5. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

^^^^ indeed - have corrected. I should have said Isolated and regulated outputs.

6. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

An effect powered by a 9V battery can't draw more than 40mA or so -- the max a 9V can provide.

The One Spot is rated at 1700mA, so there is enough regulated current for a ton of effects. I don't think you're running more that 2 or 3 at a time, anyway. That being said, because your effects are not isolated there is a chance of noise, especially if you have some digital effects. If you're not getting excess noise or interference, you're fine.

An isolated high-end power supply will make a difference, but a Power Brick is just a daisy chain in a box. It does not have isolated outputs, nor is it better regulated than your average wall wart. Certainly not any better than your OneSpot.

P.

7. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

If you aren't having problems...then it's not a problem. Some pedals don't play well with others on a daisy chain causing noise. You could add up all of the power draws of each of the pedals to see if it is too much...but I've had a lot more than that on a one spot assuming those pedals have typical power draws. :)

8. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Hers a partial list of power requirements for various pedals:

http://stinkfoot.se/power-list

The Boss reverb (RV-5???) uses 50 mA.
    It's virtually certain none of the others use that much juice.
    Even if they did, you have six pedals total, and that would mean 300mA. The One Spot supplies 1700mA.

There's no guarantee that any power supply will work with every single pedal manufactured.

Isolated or not.

There are just some pedals that refuse to play nice with others, some don't like daisy-chains, some need to be the first pedal in line, some only work well with batteries. The list is endless.

I've had two One Spots that looked identical. One caused noise, the other worked perfectly and does to this day. Maybe the bad one was defective, maybe it was an older design; who knows?

Like every other aspect of life, there's no guarantee.
    Unless you buy a Boss pedalboard, with a Boss power supply, and use only Boss pedals.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

9. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

I'm powering 9 pedals (sort of) with a 1Spot.
    My Boss NS-2 (noise gate) has a 9v out on it. I power a few from it too.
    Absolutely no issues what-so-ever, so far.

Fender Tuner, Boss NS-2, Boss CS-3, Boss BD-2, Boss DS-1, Boss GE-7, Ibenez SC-10, Rogue Delay, EHX LPB-1 - all powered with the 1Spot I bought for $15.00 off Craigslist.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

All great advice. If you are experiencing noise. Pull out one pedal at a time until you find the source, then put a battery in that one and hook it back into your sound signal chain. If that fixes the problem, then it is possible that your power source does not work on that particular pedal. Otherwise, after you eliminate that possibility, go on with other trouble shooting procedures. You have plenty of power, but to insure that you do, just add up the power requirements of each pedal and it should be less than your One Spot 1700 ma (which should be listed on the wall wart or block).

Good luck.

11. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted

Hey, thanks for all of your replies. Based on what you guys said, I think I am fine as far as having enough power goes. I was having some issues but it had to do with a cable and one specific pedal. I was just concerned about starving the pedals for power and having something go wrong during a gig.
    BTW the guy telling me that I needed a better power source was an employee of a music store. I'm glad I didn't waste any money.

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

So...if building a 5-6 pedal board, would a One Spot be better/worse than a cheaper BBE/Joyo isolated power supply? The VL stuff is out of my range

13. 1300 E Valencia

I believe a brand new One Spot would run about $40.
    The BBE Supa Charger power supply is closer to $130.
    The Joyo looks about $60.
    Now, which is cheaper?

14. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Would you go One Spot or Joyo? And why?

15. CajunPicker316

CajunPicker316 Tele-Holic

AFIK the Joyo I'd just a glorified One Spot in a box. Save the twenty bucks and get a Joyo. My next purchase will be a BBE Supa-Charger, it is supposedly a Voodoo Labs PP2 without the additional external AC outlet. I'd save the duckies were I you and get a BBE or Voodoo.

16. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I have run a pedalboard with 7-8 effects using a One Spot, I NEVER noticed any noise or hum.
    At one point I did go ahead and buy a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, I'm sure it was a better unit, it certainly cost a LOT more, but again I didn't notice any difference in the sound on my pedalboard.

When I downsized my board, I went back to a One Spot with a daisy chain.
    I rarely have more than 4 effects on at once , but a One Spot will power a LOT of pedals, VS did a demo one time with a huge pedalboard, all of the effects powered by a single One Spot.

Like someone said here early on, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Another similar product is the Godlyke Power All , which is supposed to be a bit quieter, though I've had both the Power All and One Spot, I didn't notice any significant difference.

17. 1300 E Valencia

Neither! VOLTO is the correct answer.

18. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

One Spot user. 8 or 9 pedals, however many is the max. No noise, no issues. Except that after winding and unwinding the cord around the plug box a hundred times or so the plastic cracked and the wires started to separate from the source. That cord tends to want to coil up and it gets tight. Bummer, but $40 for a year's use ain't bad. I just bought a new one.

19. slowpinky

slowpinky Tele-Afflicted

The actual One Spot is a pretty good unit -have owned 3 of them although the last one I bought was faulty.
    Daisy chain cables seem to really vary in quality though -even the OS ones. That's the main reason I dont use them anymore.

20. JDC

JDC Tele-Holic

For an extra $20 I use two OneSpots simultaneously (the first with the daisy chain cabling). That way, if I ever have a problem, I always have a spare power source. Never have, BTW...had a problem, that is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.