1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many own a bass guitar but not a bass amplifier

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by burntfrijoles, Feb 18, 2021.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Don’t have a bass amp. I only play for recording direct to the interface.

My dad gave me his backup bass (Squier P-Bass). So I guess I don’t technically own that either, but I’ve had it for years and he hasn’t asked for it back.

aging_rocker likes this.
  2. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I've had a bass since 1978, but only bought an amp about six years ago. For the last ten years I have been running the music side of a local charity beer festival, which runs 10 to 12 acts during the course of the day. A few years ago to make things easier for everyone I decided that we would also provided the backline and drumkit. I bought myself a 200w head and a 15" bass cab, which also sits in our rehearsal space so our bass player need not bring an amp to rehearsal.

3. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I owned a very nice ash MIM Fender Jazz Bass and no amp. I sometimes filled in on bass in a previous band, when our bass player could not make it. I always used the bass amp in our practice place. Sold the bass guitar a few years ago in a multi-gear trade.

4. cwhuntersr

cwhuntersr TDPRI Member

Does a JC120 count as a bass amp?

lupowitz likes this.
  5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Well , at least I'm not the only one here. I have an acoustic bass but no bass amp yet. Then again I'm not a bass player. I've used a Princeton Chorus for lower volume playing at home.

6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I did for recording until EZBass came out. Now I just program bass

7. ratdoc

ratdoc TDPRI Member

Same ballpark, but maybe this?

Fender Rumble 100 - $299
    Eminence Basslite 2012 neodymium- $105

Most fun I've had with $400 in a long time...

8. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

I own and play a bass quite regularly, but only at home. So for this purpose I use my Tech 21 TM60, or I play through my Zoom R8 recorder, which has dedicated bass presets.
    But I'll order a Roland Micro Cube Bass RX this week, mainly 'cause in the last 30 years I always owned some sort of a Cube, and I just sold my first gen MicroCube, and want to have a battery powered amp around, and finally that thing just has everyting I need for appartment bass playing.

9. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I went through a phase where I sold off all my bass amps and only had a Peavey Backstage as a guitar and bassx amplifier. It carried me over until I started gigging and needed a bass amp once again.

Gardo likes this.
  10. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I usually have a bass or two kicking around, primarily for recording when I have time, no bass amp at present but I do have some speakers that I think would work OK and I could buy a head if I needed one.

11. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Me

12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Afflicted

Squire bass, no amp.

13. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

I'm not a bass player, but I'll lay down tracks direct to my DAW to hold things together until a 'real' bass man comes in. Sometimes during an informal jam, I'd plug into my Peavey Delta Blues 15".

14. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

I used to play bass a lot to the point that many of the people I played with didn't know I could spank a Tele respectably. I hate hauling bass gear to gigs and the best experience I ever had was gigs where all I needed was to plug in my Ashly BP41 into the club's excellent PA. I have an Ampeg BA115 but I've downsized my car to the point where I can't get it in the trunk. If they want me bad enough I'll bring the Ashly racked with a Class D power amp and they can supply either the speakers or take a feed from the preamp.

15. Teleboss

Teleboss Tele-Meister

I play bass quite a bit in the studio, but almost never in a live setting. I’m usually asked to play other instruments live, so I don’t really feel the need for a bass amp. They’re way too heavy to haul around, and they take up more space in my cozy studio/jam room.

16. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

Hand up. Metoo. 5 years since I had the Fender Rumble. Do not sub with bands that doesn't have PA. If they want me to play through on stage combo amp, they have to provide it. I have EBS direct boxes, with EQ and compression and whatnot. Must have limiter/compression though otherwise the FOH engineer goes bonkers.

black_doug likes this.
  17. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

Well played.

ratdoc likes this.
  18. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Bass...No amp.

Probably because the only bass amp I'd want would be one of these logistical nightmares

Acoustic.jpg

Matt G and middy like this.
  19. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

I didnt for a few years. I had a giant 70's acoustic 4x12 and a randall rg50 head. The cab was supposed to be a switch hitter as it was well known to work for bass but the head was for guitar. It worked ok for jams. When I started running the band I saw a behringer ultrabass used for $100 so I grabbed it. The bass tone was much better and the bass needed the power on the louder jams and that 4x12 really sounded glorious but then as we turned it up I remembered that 4x12 was only 100watts. I knew we were pushing it and I was afraid I'd destroy it plus it was soooo big so I sold it off. I couldn't get much money for it. Not what it deserved but I can hope the next guy isnt destroying it. I'm running a 300 watt 15" acoustic with a tweeter now but I dont think its nearly as good sounding. If I run into a nice 410 for a good price I may grab it as testing showed that was my 2nd fav tone but a lot easier to move.

20. BigBillow

BigBillow Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have a 1x15 EV bass cab, but alas no bass amp!?

WTH is wrong with me?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.