1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many own a bass guitar but not a bass amplifier

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by burntfrijoles, Feb 18, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I can't recall the last time I owned a bass amp. I only use the bass for recording and have an MXR Bass d.i.+ directly Into my interface.
    When learning a bass line I use the "bass" channel on my Yamaha THR-10ii.
    Although I am not a good bass player I do enjoy sometimes playing along to the original music.
    I have debated getting a bass amp for the past couple of years but can't justify it.
    I have owned a few lower end bass amps in the past and they just don't sound good.

2. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I play the bass since 24 years and I never owned a bass amp.

At home I play through my guitar amps and for gigs I played through the PA

joe_cpwe and chris m. like this.
  3. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Hand up.

Dan

4. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Likewise my hand up, but I think there is a Rumble 40 in my near future.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  5. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Me - old MIA Peavey Foundation S. Great bass. I have a compressor and use a Bass Muff on occasion - straight to the board and in-ear monitors. I used to play a lot at church, due to lack of available bass players. The past year and a half I'm the only lead guitarist and we have bass players coming out our ears.

6. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

I don't own a bass amp or guitar yet, but I do play a solid state head guitar through an old Peavey 1x15 bass cabinet with a Black Widow speaker. The idea is to eventually get an old US-made Peavey or Ampeg bass head and use that setup to play bass and guitar through. I love the sound of guitar through bass gear.

nojazzhere and ReverendRevolver like this.
  7. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I just started playing bass to flesh out my home recordings. I didn't get an amp since I planned to just go direct into the recording interface. A month ago I ended up buying a Rumble 20 because it was only $99 new and I figured why not. I've only plugged into it once though, and as soon as I did I realized I would probably never really use it.

I just play the bass unplugged over playback of the basic tracks to figure out the bassline, and then plug into the interface to record. It's a Gretsch Junior Jet II, and it's plenty resonant enough unplugged to play along with recordings.

8. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction TDPRI Member

I'm primarily a guitarist, and not a good one at that. I have one Squier P-Bass I dabble with. As a student I bought a £30 practice amp, just to play with. Nowadays I don't use it, and I just record straight to interface through the Behringer BDI21, which is meant to be a Sans Amp clone I think. Sounds good, for my purposes at least.

9. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

My son left a decent Orange bass amp here when he moved out. I rarely use it though

10. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Run your guitar through it just for fun. You might like it. I don't know what kind of music you're into but playing guitar through a bass amp is pretty common in certain subgenres of heavy metal.

Toadtele likes this.
  11. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

No "bass" amp. I have a Peavey KB300 for small needs and a choice of Peavry Mace or Gibson Titan head into cab for large needs.

12. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Afflicted

Same here, long time bass player without an amp. When needed as a bass player, I run it direct through an LR Baggs Para DI, which I also use with my acoustic guitar.

mexicanyella likes this.
  13. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

I’m about to sell my bass amp. I prefer the direct to board / PA sound of a P bass.

Matt G likes this.
  14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'm NOT a bass player. Somehow I'm more prone to keeping in time and tying everyone together on a guitar.

Having said that, I sold my SS Ampeg bass combo to a pawn shop for $30 less than its going rate a few years ago because I'd already sold the bass that was used with it, and my wife kept complaining it was in the way. (Lived in a 3br townhouse at the time...)
    I once traded a bass and a warhammer army for cash and a booster box of OOP Vtes cards ;)
    I inherited my late uncles Hagstrom from the 70s when my grandfather passed away. I fixed the I put Jack, and I plan on using it for recording, direct in. I'll consider the sansamp clone for going DI if I need to do something I can't do with the DAW. Much cheaper than micing an old ampeg fliptop I don't own....

sleekpicker and nojazzhere like this.
  15. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

None now, any of my guitar amps can do in a pinch for practice. If I were even semi-serious though, I would get a little class D bass head. I do have a 15" speaker in a closed ported cab that would probably work just fine.

16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I own 2 basses.

And, no bass amp.

However, I do have a Roland Cube 60 which can be used as a bass amp.

(If I need a bass amp...)

17. Ziggy587

Ziggy587 Tele-Meister

Like many of you, I'm also primarily a guitarist that plays the bass. Long story short, I didn't own a proper bass amp for the longest time. But I finally do now.

I got my first bass when I was 13 or 14, and I simply played it through my little Fender Bullet Reverb guitar amp that I had at the time. Next I got a small PA system, and I used a DI box to plug straight into the PA. I did this for the longest while. Mostly because any money I had to budget toward new gear usually went to guitar gear. A bass amp was always toward the bottom of the list.

My first proper bass amp was a Fender M80 1x15 combo that I stumbled upon in a pawn shop. It turned out to be a pretty nice sounding amp! I've read that the built in compressor sucks, but the built in chorus sounds wonderful and is foot switchable. At the time I only had a very cheap Chinese P style bass. But I finally got a decent bass when Guitar Center had the Fender MIM Jazz on sale, and then later I made a parts P bass. The Fender M80 is kind of an inconvenient size, I wanted to get a small bedroom size combo amp. So I ended up getting an Ampeg BA-108, and wow, this thing sounds fantastic. So smooth! I was definitely surprised how well this amps sounds for $120. You can angle it up like a floor monitor, but I'm not sure if it's loud enough to play with acoustics drums.

I was holding on to the M80 so I could use it to jam with people. I'll only play the bass when I jam with people if a proper bass player is unavailable. But it's been a long time since I've jammed with anyone, guitar or bass, so I question why I keep the M80. I've thought about trading the M80 and the Ampeg in for a larger Ampeg, to sort of consolidate my gear.

I'm also considering an electric drum amp. I really want an acoustic drum set, but I don't think it's in the cards right now so I'm gonna settle on a digital drum kit. I had planned on just playing the drums through my PA and headphones, but those drum amps can be really nice. Someone had gifted my brother a digital kit with an amp, and it handled the drums MUCH better than my small PA. Also, my brother would jam with his bassist friend who would just plug straight into the drum amp and it sounded great. Drum amps always have multiple channels, so this is possible. So maybe I should trade both of my bass amps for a drum amp? And then I can once again say that I don't own a proper bass amp LOL.Or I suppose I could just get better PA speakers or a sub.

Ah, music gear... Will we ever be satisfied?

Matt G and nojazzhere like this.
  18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I rarely play bass anymore, although in years passed, I doubled on bass when needed. But I still have a little Hartke B30 amp, (30 watts, 1-10") that's great for practice at home, plus a tc electronics 250 watt amp, that I run into an ancient Peavey 1-15" extra deep cab. I call the cabinet King Tut.....cause it's about as old as the Pyramids. Mostly now, if I fiddle around on bass, I pick up my made in China Hofner Club Bass. It's hollow, and has enough volume to work out bass lines and play along with youtube.

19. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

The only bass guitar I have is acoustic-electric. I plugged it to my Quilter when I first received it...sounded fine, so I didn't bother with a bass amp.

20. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Guilty.

I usually only use it for recording. Pluss, I have a mate with 3 bass amps . . .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.