How many of you use solid state amps?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Blazer, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kid Kactus

Kid Kactus Tele-Meister

I have a Peavey Special 130. Heavy as all get-out and LOUD! Fun to mess around with.

Had a Fender Ultimate Chorus. It was a nice amp as well.

2. Sproox

Sproox NEW MEMBER!

I still have my Marshall Valvestate 65 which I bought new in 1997 but I use mostly the ZT lunchbox acoustic and it lives in my car always ready for war.

3. LennartB

LennartB Tele-Meister

I still have my crate GT65, i think it works ok in a band situation if you use the clean channel.
    At a gig last year, the singer/rhythm player played that amp and our drummer played an electric kit. Everything was connected to the same outlet, 2 guitar amps, bass amp, drum kit and our PA. The electricity in the building was so so. Anyway, the power connector at the back of the amp was loose, hanging in the back, the amp was plugged in (silly me), and i pushed the cable in the connector at the back of the amp. I saw a spark and the electricity in the building went out. I must have shorted it.. lol. Anyway, the amp still works fine, the fuse didn't even blow. And i guess this proves solid state amps are pretty much disaster proof.

4. Edwin

Edwin Banned

I use 2 SS amps, A Marshall AS50R for acoustic guitars

[​IMG]

And a Hartke A70 for bass.

[​IMG]

For my own piece of mind I use glowing glass for my electric guitars.

5. keithcc

keithcc Tele-Meister

My favorite "solid state" amp is to use a tube pre like an Alembic (or homebrew clone thereof) to drive a sixties Altec solid state power amp with an output transformer. You want one that has a 24 volt DC line for a backup battery.

6. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Sometimes I play a Vox Pathfinder that I have on my living room!
    There's a pic from a gig at my daughter's school!

Attached Files:

7. bigmuff113

bigmuff113 Friend of Leo's

I use solid state amps when playing bass.

8. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I started out in the early eighties with a Peavey Classic VTX (part tube). Traded that, when I wore it out, for a Special 130, too clean and weighed approximately a metric ton. Moved on to a Pro Jr., which over time proved to break up too early and too much for outdoor venues even miked. Traded THAT for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe which I used for ten years.
    When the HRDx starting spending more time in the shop than onstage, in desperation I bought a "red-stripe" Peavey Envoy 110 from a pawnshop as a backup. I fell in love with it immediately.
    When I got tired of wasting money trying to keep the Hot Rod running, I traded it for a new Peavey Bandit, and I will never use anything but Peavey TransTube as long as I live.
    Maybe I have a tin ear--but both my amps get that close to the tube sound I heard for a decade from an unreliable and nerve-wracking Fender.

9. k.l.k

k.l.k Tele-Holic

like most folks here who gigged in the 70s and 80s, i played thru stacks of peaveys.

one of the places i used to play had a randall solidstate that was pretty killer for a gained-up combo amp.

ive had a polytone for the last 20 years-- my main amp at home, and the one my tele sounds best through. it's getting old enough that i'm afraid to gig it. havent had any real problems, but until i get another one, it's staying in the house.

spent $70 on a microterror for a backup and practice amp-- it's plenty happy driving a 412. although it looks kinda funny sitting up there.

10. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Peavey Nashville 112.........not just a steel guitar amp.

11. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I have an Ultimate Chorus, a Princeton Chorus, and a GDEC original version. Also use a Super Champ XD and a 63 Gibson GA-8T.

12. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

Guitar -> Peavey Studio Chorus 210 = :)

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  13. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

As others have said I use a Markbass Jeff Berlin solid state amp for bass.

I do have a Roland Cube which is a remarkably great sounding little practice amp.

I also have an Eleven Rack for recording.

I'm sure I could get great use out of a decent modelling rig. I used to use a GT-8 in front of a clean tube amp which was great for cover band use. I considered going to a solid state stereo set up. One thing that stopped me was trying stereo with my tube amps. I found that for space sounds and ethereal rythm playing where chorus and delays are set pretty heavy it worked great but I didn't like it for solo sounds or even just basic crunchy rythm sounds. I prefered a single source for that stuff. Of course you can go mono in solid state too.

I've moved the other way recently. I am just fond of my tube amps and fond of my analog effects. It's not because it is logical or practical. I play music because I like it and I just like all the analog and tube driven hardware. Am I a cork sniffer, analog snob? Well, perhaps. I don't generally flaunt it or brag about it. I don't know if that makes me a snob or not. The gear is heavier and expensive. I guess it's kind of like owning a Harley. You can get just as good or better of a motor cycle for much less money but then it wouldn't be a Harley. (I own a Honda BTW)

14. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Mustang III

Peavey Stereo Chorus 212...... I love them both. Mustang is my #1 by far.

15. highwayman

highwayman Former Member

I'm on the Bandit train as well. I have a crapload of tubers and a Mustang 3 but my bandit has won me over for gigging.

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I do. Want to make something of it? :p LOL

Seriously, I haven't used a tube bass head in decades. SS bass amps are a whole lot lighter and more efficient and with most venues now using sound reinforcement a huge 1000w rig is no longer needed either. I have tc electronic BG 250 that does all I need it to.

My main guitar amp is an older analog Roland Blues Cube 60 that I will own until my dying day. For the type of material I usually play I need lots of clean head room, tube like crunch at times, and something that's pedal friendly. It hits every base and then some. Seriously under appreciated amps.

I've also got it's baby brother, a 40w Cube which I use as an acoustic amp and to pair with my Bugera V5 in a stereo set up. They're all great sounding and very dependable amps. I may add a 1x12 tube combo down the road that I have my eye on because I'd like to have one but for my purposes the BC 60 is really all I really need. Anything else is more of a want.

17. tlagosh

tlagosh Tele-Meister

Tech 21 trademark 60. Replaced by two Boogies ten years ago and I could not be happier. They are versatile, light , easyvto deal with, run cool and never brake down.
    I can tell you that 90 percent of your audience cares not what you play through.
    Can you tell the difference between your drummers birch or maple kit?

18. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

My first SS guitar amp was a Fender FM212R, I thought the clean sound was amazing for a SS AMP (and clean is the most important, because you can dirty up clean, but not the reverse). With that and my Digitech RP400, I was pretty content for a few years... But I kept (and still dragged out on occasion) my tube rig. I traded the Frontman for a ...

Mustang III: Sold my tube rig after owning it six months.
    Without a doubt the best sounding and versatile amp I've ever owned (I'm on a V2 now).

Roland micro-cube: Portable, it is what it is... Better than my years back pignose.

Acoustic B100: Better than the Peavey SS bass amps I've owned (back in the day and recently), though falls tone-short of my old tube rig (but more than twice the wattage). Gets the job done with few frills.

I was hoping when the Bronco amp came out, it would be the bass equivelent of the Mustang III, sadly... it's more like the M I or II (under powered and speakered).
    If a 80-100 watt 12 or 15" speaker version with the MIII screen comes out, it'll be an instant sale.

19. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Student of mine had a little 30 watt Gorilla amp, made in the 80s with a tube simulator control. Pretty cheap, but not nasty, I rather liked it.

20. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Man, you hit that nail right on the head.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.