How many of you use skin lotion?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Leep Dog, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

When it gets cold, my skin gets dry. For many years, I just dealt with this annoyance but at some point I wussed out and started using lotion. I use non-odor stuff and it actually works and dare I say, I like the way it makes my skin feel. However, I still always feel a bit sissy whenever I use the lotion and make myself laugh when I imagine John Wayne or Chuck Norris using lotion. :lol:

How many of you tough guitar slingers use lotion?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I live in Seattle. "Dry" is not in my vocabulary.

3. ab2012

ab2012 Tele-Holic

Same problem especially in the winter..I use it constantly.

4. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

If I don't, the skin on my hands crack and bleed. So yea, in the winter I'll use lotion. Mainly at work but I bought some for home use a couple of months back.

Carl

5. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

How cold does it get in Texas? Where I'm from, at this time of year it can get as cold as -20 or worse with the wind-chill factor. If I don't do something to moisturize my hands, the skin will actually crack and bleed (especially knuckles). If you don't have cream, even Vaseline or auto lubricant will work.

I don't use it all year round, and I don't use it for vanity reasons, I use it purely to stop the carnage! LOL!

6. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

It gets plenty cold in Texas. Last week we had lows in the 20's and highs in the 40's. I know it's nothing compared to a lot of the weather you guys further north get, but it gets pretty cold here. We get a lot of wind here too which makes if feel colder.

7. dleuen

dleuen Tele-Meister

All winter long. The humidity in my house is currently at 16%. I would itch myself crazy without lotion. Didn't bother me when I was younger though.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I use it after every bath.
    I'm gettin' old and crinkley.
    If I don't use it, I look like a shelled turtle.
    It's hard to find stuff that I like, that isn't too "perfumey".
    Still haven't found a product I like.
    Perhaps I should break the old $5 barrier.
    I can be a cheap $%#@!!

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've had real problems with this in the winter in Iowa. I finally found something that really helps. It's called Neutragena. It is fairly thick, and I put it on my hands right after a shower. I also put it on when I go to bed, although I frequently forget. I am good the next day and beyond. My second choice is Glove In a Bottle. It is much creamier and it is harder to absorb. I must be putting too much on. The Neutragena absorbs really well, and I can even play guitar within a half hour of putting it own. I always wipe off my finger tips with calluses.

10. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

The older ya get, the more ya use, in my experience. Dove has a men's soap that I've just discovered, but the jury's still out.

11. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

One must use it or one gets the hose.....

12. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

It puts the lotion in the basket.

13. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Burt's Bees Hand Salve.

14. Ben Bishop

Ben Bishop Tele-Meister

Now I live where it's damp so I'll just use a little if I've done a big load of dishes in detergent. But when I lived in Lake Louise which is very cold and very dry, I always used lotion. It was so dry there that I'd do a load of laundry and hang it to dry in my place just to add moisture to the air. It's good to try a few different brands; some work with your skin better that others. We had a famous brand at the hotel that I tried a couple of times that didn't even work as well as a thin thin coat of Vaseline. The point isn't to add moisture to the skin but to allow it to retain its own. Same with lip balm.

15. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Years ago, when I worked in the produce department of a grocery store, my boss kept a bottle of Corn Husker's Lotion and Bag Balm to sooth cracked and dry hands.

My skin does not take a beating like it used to, but I still need to use lotion. Cetaphil is probably best, Eucerin is good too.

16. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

I live in Canada, where it gets very dry. I started using lotion every so often because my skin would get horribly itchy during the winter, especially my legs.

I also use regular moisturizer cream as aftershave balm, otherwise I would have razor burn.

There's nothing sissy about preventing discomfort.

17. Markdett

Markdett Tele-Meister

I don't much anymore. When I worked as an X-Ray Tech, I used it all the time. Wiping down the table after every patient with rubbing alcohol and washing my hands constantly really hammered my hands. Back then, I used Nivea, because it seemed the least "greasy" to me.

18. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use it this time of year.
    Texas is hot and humid in the summer, but the air gets pretty dry in winter.

19. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

Take it from an old conguero and bongocero. Those natural skins will actually suck some of the moisture and oils out of your hands. Udder Balm from Tractor Supply or wherever feed and seed are sold is the stuff. Don't get Bag Balm and make sure that you get the Udder Balm that doesn't have weird additional stuff specifically for cows in it and has plenty of lanolin in it. Anything that has that much lanolin in it that is made for human will cost much more for much less.

Otherwise, most lotions and potions are about the same, read the ingredients. A lot of it is the same basic stuff with some of the added ingredients being hype or some that really doesn't have enough in there to make a difference.

Take something like shea butter, which I think is actually beneficial, many products have the shea nuts walk through with hip boots. Now the stuff that you get in the more modest packaging from the African store has some shea butter in it. I've got a jar that I've had for years. A little goes a long way.

Whatever it is, put it on after you wash your hands, do the dishes, or get out of the shower.

20. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

Lotion in the winter for me . This stuff is the best I've found for cracked fingertips, year round since I work with my hands. Home Depot now carries it.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.