How many of you really love the music your band plays?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by naveed211, Jan 14, 2020.

1. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Well said. My band plays classic rock - you could probably guess 85% of our set list - and this is exactly how I feel.

Si G X likes this.
  2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

For my main band:
    60% originals
    30% obscure covers the audience thinks I wrote
    10% recognizable covers that I don’t always play in the same manner they were recorded.
    I love that band’s set list.

The set list for other bands I play in is a crap shoot, but I enjoy playing with my friends so that’s how I suffer through the songs I don’t like.

naveed211 and stevemc like this.
  3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

How much do you compromise in favor of being able to play in a band at all?

I compromise. Why?

- Everyone is super easy to get along with.
    - Everyone always shows up, prepared, and can play pretty well.
    - One guy has a free rehearsal space.
    - Another guy has a great PA.
    - Singer is a hot babe and sings very well.
    - Band rehearses five minutes from my house.
    - We gig regularly.

About half the songs are ones I bring to the band. Of the rest, about half are OK. For the remainder, I suck it up and go along. I could insist on doing my own project where I would love 100% of it. But then I would have none of the things listed above. At least not right away, and without great difficulty. There have been several threads lately about how hard it is (nearly impossible sometimes) to get a working band off the ground and sustain it. Maybe eventually I will strike out on my own put together exactly what I want, it's a possibility. But for the moment I count my blessings, rather than complain about not getting my way all the time. If I did this for a living it might be different. But it's a hobby, and we are just a cover band playing in bars. It does not define my whole identity. It's fine.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

At any one time , somebody is holding their nose in our massively disfunctional band.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If my choices were:

1. Play in a band with people I like but music I don't
    2. Only play alone

I would chose 1 every time.

I no longer "practice" guitar to be honest. Playing alone does nothing for me it seems.

I'm either writing, rehearsing with the band, playing out with the band, or not playing at all.

I don't want to buy more pedals and realized recently the ONLY time I play at home (other than writing) is to audition pedals.

Fortunately I'm not presented with that choice. I joined a long-running original punk band because I love their (now OUR) songs. We've got beds down for 11 songs on our next album. Their 7th release and my first.

And I play in two other much more intermittent projects where I love the material.

Good times.

6. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly. There are some songs that if I never have to play them ever again, I'll die happy. But I always try to find something in the music that I love, or I try to find something different to do with it, or just try to challenge myself to make something tried and true sound new and different.

An example, we started doing Take Me Home, Country Roads. My approach was to do it like a outlaw country thing, like how the Old 97s or Shooter would do it. And I'm always discovering things to play in the structure of the song that are different. It keeps it fun and instead of approaching it as drudgery, I approach as something of a challenge to my abilities as a musician and my creativity.

That's pretty much how I've approached this thing since I started playing in bands a long, long time ago. That I'm still playing in bands at an advanced age is testament, I think, that it works.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

what's wrong with djs and ipod playlists?

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

You know what? This is a little off topic, but I just thought of this. I'm in a band that plays both originals and covers, but of primary importance to me is recording our originals. I may get totally sick and tired of our band one day, but the recordings will last far longer than any band I've been in.

naveed211 likes this.
  9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I really love the music some of my bands play.
    I’d say about half of the bands I play with play good music, with skill.
    The other half, Yikes!
    The good to bad ratio has been improving lately!

10. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I play in a mostly blues band. I like most of the songs. I like less our execution of them. I'm not going to say "we are not honoring the blues" or any of that BS. We are not honoring music by not tighening these arrangements up.

I play in church and some stuff I don't like because the arrangements are difficult and we don't rehearse well.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

My main bands, I write the core of our material.
    I write stuff I love and love the stuff I write

So, yep

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I didn't mind playing anything, but ithat was years ago now. I've got a pal who is a drummer and sings, he wants us to jam together and maybe get some gigs doing mainly blues standard stuff with a touch of fuzzy sounding psychedelic stuff, I'll have to see as it is literally over 30 years now since I did the band thing.

13. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Man, i wish i could do what you do, even if the music is cheesy.

Ian T likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.