How many of you plug straight into your amp?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Royal Tele, Jan 21, 2016.

1. exactopposite

exactopposite Tele-Meister

I usually plug straight in. My amp is a Mesa Boogie F30 combo with a WGS Invader speaker. Sometimes I use a Sweet Baby overdive to get a different barely distorted sound. I might use a wah if I'm playing funk.

I build my own fuzz pedals, so occasionally I'm in the mood for a fuzz face or a tonebender. I used to us them all the time before I had the boogie, but these days they rarely make an appearance.

At this point I plug straight in to the amp 90% of the time.

2. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I plug into an ABY between a Blues Junior and a Vox AC4TV head set at 1/4 Watt with 12" cab. Tweaking those two I can get what I'm listening for without pedals.

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

STRAIGHT IN

I have been a straight in guy for years. I like the rock/blues tone of pushed tubes around the 6,7,8 mark. I have a Blackface Super Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, Blackface Bassman, Brownface Bassman, VOX AC50. If the amp I choose to use is too loud for the venue.....I use my attenuator to get the tone I'm after at a volume that works for the situation.
    Happy with my rig,
    Rob

4. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I do. Straight into a Pro Jr for several years, then a Vox PF-R. I really like both. Lately been messing more with my SFPR and may have hit upon settings I like plugged straight in = bass 9, treble 10, reverb to taste.

It's not that I don't like pedals, I just don't like MY pedals except for my wah, and I rarely use it now.

5. barker

barker Tele-Meister

I do, I plug straight from my pedal board into my amp ☺️

6. DaveNolan

DaveNolan TDPRI Member

Straight into a vox AC15C1. I used to need an overdrive pedal, compression, and some reverb, but the VOX takes care of it all. The natural tube compression and overdrive is 2nd to none.

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I have to use one of those, because I have one of these. Notice where the jack is. A standard cord gets in my way.

Attached Files:

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

For my loud art rock band, I have so many different instruments and have to make so many weird sounds, a complex pedalboard is a requirement.

When I play country or rockabilly, sometimes I put a Snark tuner on the headstock and plug straight in.

I also have a small pedalboard with a compressor and a tuner and a dirtbox and a delay for slap.

To be honest, I dont hear a lot of "tone" loss with the pedalboard. It all sounds pretty good.

Different, true. But both are good.

9. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

My last band threw in the towel in 2002. After that I went back to playing acoustic exclusively. Fast forward to 2012, I was invited to an impromptu electric jam session. After that event, my interest in electrics and effects was rekindled. Sometimes I will bypass the pedal board and let the amp and guitar work together. I mostly play lap steel straight to the amp. Sometimes it depends on my mood.:D

10. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

At home, straight into either Pro Jr., AC15, or SF Vibrolux Reverb. Live, I'll use a Duncan Pickup Booster with the AC15 for a boost for solos on 12 String, but just ride the volume knob on the Tele. With the Vibrolux live, I usually need a bit more drive for solos, unless I'm at a place where I can crank 'er up over 6...which isn't often. Lately, I've been using the AC15 more and more...great sounding amp!::D:D

11. nick-melb

nick-melb TDPRI Member

I usually have looper set up first does that count?
    but usually I plug straight in

12. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Hello,
    I have a pedal that gives you the authentic sound of being plugged directly into the amp.

13. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Don't have to say much more this other than it also depends upon the music...:D

14. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I played most of my life without pedals, and still do regularly if I am using one of my Pathfinder amps for small settings. If I use a bigger amp I have begun using pedals for various gigs. It depends frequently on who I am playing with and what sounds they want.

15. forensicdoc

forensicdoc Tele-Meister

Funny that the Vox AC15 has come up a few times in this thread. Usually I play a variety of Gretschs and Teles through a smallish (6-8 pedals) board, into a less-than-original '65 Fender Band Master. But recently I've been getting into Vox's, first the CCx1 and as of yesterday, the hardwired AC15 H1TV.

I haven't had much time to twiddle the knobs and experiment, but my early observation is that pedals are unnecessary, and actually aren't very useful, at least not the pedals I use and in the way that I use them. My pedals are mostly flavours of overdrive, and the AC15 as very little clean headroom - it gets hairy pretty quick at band volumes. So I never really get the clean Fender tone I'm accustomed to, but just about any overdrive pushes into buzzy overdrive. The only one of my OD pedals that actually accentuates the AC15 is my EHX Soul Drive which provided a nice transparent bump for when you want to jump out of the mix a little.

Ultimately, I think I'm going to try going straight into the amp, pedal less, for awhile, for a change. The good news is, as others have mentioned, the baseline AC15 tone is fantastic, especially with a Tele, Strat (so they say), or Dynasonic equipped Gretsch. Pedals make the tone less than it is when unadulterated. Frankly, the notion of putting aside the pedals for awhile feels kind of liberating. I tend to play a lot of different guitars, all of which interact with the pedals/amp in different ways, and that means a lot of time spent tweaking knobs. I'm ready to go "commando" for a spell.

16. forensicdoc

forensicdoc Tele-Meister

Oh, but I forgot. No tremolo on the AC15 H1TV. I love tremolo. Which means I need a tremolo pedal. That was short lived.

17. Royal Tele

Royal Tele Tele-Holic

Ha!

18. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

I wrote my thesis on life experience.

19. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Straight in for me. The better I get on guitar, the less I like overdrive.

20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The last couple of gigs I did I eschewed my pedal board and used my fender champion 100 on board effects (gain and Wah).

I was impressed....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.