How many of you have had issues with your Tone Masters?

Marc Morfei

Friend of Leo's
Decades ago we (or our parents) all had giant tube TVs. There was a TV repair man. I remember when I was a kid our local drugstore had a tube tester, and a rack of tubes.

None of that stuff exists any more, other than as a historic curiosity. We all have bigger, better, cheaper, thinner, lighter TVs that work great and seem to last indefinitely. I don’t hear anyone longing for the old days of console TVs that required 2 large men to move.

I’m not worried about the TM.

Last edited:

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I've been gigging with my TMDR since getting it in Nov. 2020. No problems or issues with it whatsoever, the tonality is pure ear candy to my ears, and the weight factor is pure bliss to my hands and back. That said, I still gig with the 79 Vibrolux Reverb I obtained last November. I prefer the sound of that amp over the TMDR by just a little bit (the TMDR is ear candy, the VR gives me eargasms). The weight of the VR is probably 65-70% more than the TMDR, but still manageable. If things came down to using only the TMDR and still be able to gig, the VR would be gone.

Last edited:

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Given a tmdr 2 yes ago, it's on most of the day 5-6 days a week, NEVER a pop or scritch or screw up of any kind. I love the way it sounds, it will chime, it will growl.

That's all I can say - except it weighs 27 pounds.

agaveman

TDPRI Member
Let me be the first. I bought a used Tonemaster Twin from Guitar Center used it for 4 gigs and was completely thrilled. On the fifth gig , quiet song , tone started getting fuzzy and then no sound at all.
Powered it down and then powered up and it finished the gig. Took it back to GC the next day. But I liked the amp so much I'm going to purchase a new blonde one so at least I'll have a 5 year warranty.
One isolated incident shouldn't tarnish what is a pretty great product.

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
Let me be the first. I bought a used Tonemaster Twin from Guitar Center used it for 4 gigs and was completely thrilled. On the fifth gig , quiet song , tone started getting fuzzy and then no sound at all.
Powered it down and then powered up and it finished the gig. Took it back to GC the next day. But I liked the amp so much I'm going to purchase a new blonde one so at least I'll have a 5 year warranty.
One isolated incident shouldn't tarnish what is a pretty great product.

I'd love to hear your reasoning on going with the blonde.

Sr4815

TDPRI Member
My only problem is I don’t own one yet
So we plugged into our mixer the other day for practice and when I hit the reverb footswitch on the amp which I had muted, the reverb effect did not come through the PA. Anyone know what might have happened. Reverb works fine through the amp speaker. Forgot to che the tremolo through the direct though. This issue in Central Station as it's own thread. Shoulda put it here to begin with

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
I have the Deluxe, and Super, and borrowing a Blonde Twin,

Have had no issues with any.

People have a distrust in digital technology, which I understand, you can't take it to a neighborhood shop and have your local guys "fix" it.

But, and maybe this is just my experience, I don't think I have had a digital/computer device go down on me in like 15 years?

Phones, tablets, audio devices, iPod's, TV's, have all continued to work, they might have gone obsolete, but they didn't die on me.

CalebAaron666

Tele-Holic
My problem with the TMDR was that I needed to pay for some work on my car, so I sold it.

I’d like another one, but I’m going to wait and see if Fender puts out a Tone Master Pro-Reverb.

stantheman

Doctor of Teleocity
When Johnny Marr gets a ToneMaster Deluxe Reverb AND a ToneMaster Super
Reverb it'll be a significant - as well as a
poignant moment in Electric Guitar Culture.

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Twin Reverb, used heavily since I’ve had. In truth, the weak spots in a tube amp are the tubes.

jageya

Tele-Holic
THE peoblem i have with them is the price...would rather get the tube version as i have a/b both and tube wins.Yea heavier but so what

dinomike77

Tele-Meister
When I got my Blonde TMDR new in December of last year, I was noticing a sympathetic buzz at volume on certain notes. I pulled the chassis and checked all the screws mounting the boards in place. There was one on the main heat-sink in the center of the amp that needed to be snugged up. No buzzes or rattles of any kind after that.

backporchmusic

Poster Extraordinaire
They are clearly not a lemon of a product. I still don't want one, but reliability has nothing to do with that.