How many of you have had issues with your Tone Masters?

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
Many love them, many hate on them. But I'm wondering (and of course it's purely anecdotal), but how many of you have had major issues with your Fender Tone Masters? How many have bought one and it's crapped out/died on you during a gig, at home just jamming a way, at rehearsal, etc.?

I ask beaus so many here seem to trash these amps nay saying they aren't reliable, will breakdown, haven't been proven yet, etc.? Yes, a traditional tube amp is MUCH more serviceable and easy to fix (if you actually have a reputable and reliable amp tech in your area, which is a dying ar in itself), but we all know that tube amps are notorious for crapping out at the the most importune time, and we can argue that we put up with these somewhat fickle amps because of how good they can sound.

I'm not trashing on the Tone Master, and in fact considering buying one. I'm not a tube amp snob, and don't thing that a modeling amp is beneath me. I've owned a few amps worked on and modded by MUCHXS (not sure if he's even around here anymore) and love my tube amps, but don't won them anymore and jsut looking for something to fill a void. No longer own an actual amp. Been working and in grad school the last 2 years and getting back into playing electric regularly (been playing acoustic almost exclusively for the last couple years) and just want something to mess around with at home, record with and take to the rare jam with some friends.

Last edited:

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't own a TM but I know a few people that do...
They still bring them to the gigs, and they still sound great.

Digital products are reliable! The Keyboard market knows this very well, the recording world knows it well, the photography and video world knows it well, etc... etc... The serviceability is a different concern, but there are still notable digital products from the 80's/90's chugging along with nothing more than general maintenance.

As with any product.... the most important part to keep maintained is the power supply. If it stays clean & consistent the product has a better chance for a long life. Fortunately... those are just as easy to maintain on "most" digital gear as they are on old tube amps.

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought the TM Deluxe in July of last year (2021), and have gigged it exclusively ever since with no issues at all. I like it very much. It took over for a 1966 Princeton Reverb that I outgrew (I gigged the PR for almost 10 years). Just could not get the clean tones I found myself needing as my playing evolved, it naturally breaks up at gig volume. The deluxe fills that need beautifully.

Our lead player has been gigging a TM Twin he bought when they first cam out, pre-pandemic, so like 3 years now (?). Previously he gigged either a silver face or a black face Twin RI, and still owns them both, but I have not seen either of his tube amps since he acquired the TM. He gigs a lot. Every weekend. 2 different bands (ours and his own) and fills in with at least a dozen more. He does not have a "real job". He gigs a lot!

Conclusion - they are good.

Lawdawg

Friend of Leo's
Digital products are reliable! The Keyboard market knows this very well, the recording world knows it well, the photography and video world knows it well, etc... etc... The serviceability is a different concern, but there are still notable digital products from the 80's/90's chugging along with nothing more than general maintenance.

That's always been my experience as well. I have a Kawai K1m that I bought brand new 33 years ago that's been gigged, dropped, kicked, had beers spilled on it, and the stupid old thing still fires up and works just as well as it did on day 1.

_dave_

Tele-Meister
Just about to hit my 45 day return period for TMTR & have to say speaker seems to have opened up and had no problems so far.
I realized it needs to be approached like it’s own entity, not like a tube twin. That’s helped me to dial it in to its own sound, not settings of tube twins.
What a versatile amp and sweet/clean tone without or with pedals.
Gonna buy an AB-Y pedal and try a quasi wet/dry or clean/dirty setup thru both channels.
It spreads sound so well.
Have had to dial down to 12-22 watts on stage & all the way down to 1 watt at home with vol 3-4 for practice.
Keeley Super Phat Mod & JHS Morning Glory sweeten the sound tremendously.
A touch of Reverb & trem add beautiful depth. I forget not tubes, lol.

I may one day get another tube amp but probably will be something 10-18watt, 35lb or less 1x12 or 2x10.

So far I’m pretty happy with my Blonde Tone Master Twin Reverb. Durability factor is my only question.
I hope it stands the test of time.

Has been great so far.

Oh and the DI has worked well the couple times the sound guys remembered it has DI in back.
Haven’t recorded with it yet.

Hope this helps someone.

saleake

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
I bought a new Deluxe in 2020 when they came out. I have had zero problems with it. I bought a used Twin in 2021 and have had no problems with it either.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I bought my TMDR in 2020 as well. It is my pedal platform and it takes them very well. I have had absolutely no problems with it. Love the amp 🥰

CA51BC19-D79C-4242-9F3F-0A70FD3F9544.jpeg

teletail

Friend of Leo's
It’s funny how the haters have so many people questioning the TM reliability with absolutely no facts to back it up.

I don’t know what tube amps you use that notoriously crap out, but in 50+ years of playing I’ve ONE amp failure on stage and have seen two more from people I was playing with.

53Strat

Tele-Meister
Like others here, over two years in, no problems and no need for tubes again for me.
TMDR is the real deal.

Edit to say: I am seriously considering adding the TM Super Reverb just for the hell of it.
Problem is the TMDR has broken in so well I doubt I would benefit for my purposes.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
It’s funny how the haters have so many people questioning the TM reliability with absolutely no facts to back it up.

I don’t know what tube amps you use that notoriously crap out, but in 50+ years of playing I’ve ONE amp failure on stage and have seen two more from people I was playing with.
Honestly, I have been here for 12 years and I have NEVER seen people go into any thread regarding tube amps and just bash them up and down. Yet, that seems to happen consistently in threads regarding digital amps or modelers. It is almost as if some people feel threatened by them. 🤷‍♂️ I have learned to just tune them out, the ignore option is also useful. ;)

Last edited:

Controller

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
For me the irony is that, sure, a piece of equipment can be serviced, but you have to be able to find someone competent to do that if you can't do it yourself. I went to SS after bleeding cash to semi-competent repair people working on my tube amps at one month plus per repair. They sounded great but I just couldn't afford the time or the money. My SS amps have been rock solid. YMMV