How many of you have assembled your "dream guitar"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by omlove, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I striped the body myself (I'm a commercial air brush/ pinstripe artist by trade)...

Fiesta Red likes this.
  2. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

After almost 40 years of playing guitar I think I was experienced enough to know exactly what I want. Because I´m not able to built it by myself I went to a well-known luthier and that´s what came out. It´s my dream (electric) guitar, optically and soundwise. Since I got it I don´t play any other beside my acoustics. I have a HSS strat as backup for live but that´s all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ben smith, Fiesta Red and BCblues55 like this.
  3. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

Yes I have managed to assemble my dream guitar. A few times. I could never afford to BUY it so I had to learn how to build it.

Attached Files:

4. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

Thanks. Currently only a bit noodlin' from my workroom, recorded with my iPhone :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I've changed the Bigsby handle- the vintage narrow arm works a lot better:

8AC6C57C-BBBF-4DB6-85E8-8B1B17BB602D.jpeg

5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sounds glorious! Nicely done. I confess, I liked that old-school Bigsby handle, aesthetically. Though I can fully appreciate function over form.

stefanhotrod likes this.
  6. stefanhotrod

Thank you very much!
    Funny thing:
    the vintage narrow handle (above) is real early 50‘s, it was the first Bigsby arm afaik. The old-school looking Chet Handle is a development from the 1970‘s ;)

The vintage narrow handle is also much more functional, no problem with a (big) G&G case and, yup, „vintage correct“. Meanwhile I dig the look of this handle a lot, it is really slim!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I’m a strat guy and I kind of backed in to my dream strat. Had a bone stock Robert Cray hardtail. I LOVED the pickups, I LOVED the hardtail, the wiring and switching and tone controls had been customized the way I like em. But I only liked the neck, didn’t love it. My favorite neck on any guitar had been the road worn tele I have. The Road Worn strat neck looked very similar except with a soft V, so I decided to give one a try. And it transformed my Cray from a great strat to a dream strat. I’ve played some much more expensive strats I didn’t like near as much. So that’s my dream guitar - favorite strat ever for a strat guy...

[​IMG]untitled-2 by Ray, on Flickr

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  8. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

It's amazing what a difference a different neck can make with zero other changes. I have come to understand that if I can't find the right neck, that next build will have to wait until I do, because it's so important to the end result.

El Tele Lobo and stefanhotrod like this.
  9. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

well, in answer to your question: it was only one of me(hehe)... but I've built several of my dream guitars...

DSCN2370_.JPG DSCN3155_.JPG DSCN1883.JPG DSCF2877.JPG DSCF2708.JPG

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Some gorgeous guitars here.

I've built two, a Tele and a Strat - all the best parts. Each was my favorite... for about a week. :(

mistermikev likes this.
  11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I just realized my number of posts hit 666... uncomfy w that so... this post is just an incremental one.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

That there is a heck of a tele! Great job man! B.. E.. A.. Utiful!

stefanhotrod likes this.
  13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

That is a heck of a tele! Your first build - Man... don't I know how that feels. The guitars I've let go over the years that I wish I had back... Not to mention the ones I should've bought and didn't! Like the 100% mint, untouched, 1955 Strat in its case I could've had for 500 bucks in 1991!!!! Didn't have the $ at the time and she just slipped away.... To this day I think of that guitar often... :cry:

14. stefanhotrod

15. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

OMG!!! Ok..... I'm calling DIBS right now if you ever want to sell that beauty!!! :) No need for me to play or hear it either.... I KNOW it's got to be killer! :) Wow... thanks for sending me the link man!

16. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

The neck is actually 90% of it to me. When I check out a strat (or anything else for that matter) I mostly play it unplugged. Because within the general model (strat or tele or Les Paul or semi-hollow, etc), I can generally find a way to get a sound I like out of it. But if it doesn't feel right, there's no point in taking the next step. The Cray was a rare exception because I REALLY wanted a hardtail (and there aren't many out there) and I love the pickups they use in the Cray, which are supposedly the same they use in the Custom Shop Cray models. And I did really LIKE the original Cray neck - I've played it for a couple of years happily and could have for another many years. But I knew it wasn't that perfect feeling neck for my preferences. I'd tried a Jimmie Vaughan neck in that guitar almost a year ago and liked it less, much to my surprise. But the second I got that Road Worn neck in there and tweaked the setup, the guitar was transformed. It was amazing and immediate. Can't imagine it won't be a lifer...

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Where is the written rule that you can't have 9 dream guitars?

hemingway, Fiesta Red and Telekarster like this.
  18. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Meister

Rev Rhythm and Telekarster like this.
  19. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Telecentric likes this.
  20. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    You should have borrowed the $$ for that Strat...

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.