How many of you have assembled your "dream guitar"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by omlove, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

What a great question and thread topic! I did. 10 or 12 years or so ago, I saw a Candy Apple Red, double bound Thinline with a matching headstock right here on TDPRI. I dreamed of it ever after. At that time I’d never so much as removed the pickguard from a guitar, but I knew I wanted to build one in the image of that guitar. I cut my teeth on other projects and builds and finally a couple of years ago, when I felt I was ready, I made myself this lovely with Warmoth body and neck and Revel WRHBs. She’s pretty special for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

I built both of these, they are both fantastic in their own way....

Ke2+HK57Twm%zWNJ%yoarg.jpg

ben smith, alathIN, RiversQC and 8 others like this.
  3. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

Had wanted a Tele for a while, so I built one. Wanted a rosewood fretboard so that's what I put on there. Always wanted a guitar with hot rails style pickups, so I added those too.

I love it to pieces. I don't know if I built my dream guitar, but I sure built one I wanted and that I absolutely love.

4. Rusty Shackelford

Rusty Shackelford TDPRI Member

No because I can't build a good thinline archtop
    Thankfully I have a guy making me one (for over a year). Hopefully it'll be done by Thanksgiving

I built an ES 335 from a kit it looks ok but it's unplayable. I recently built a strat from parts came out pretty good love the 57/62s

Attached Files:

5. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I don't have A dream guitar. But I have put together many custom instruments to my liking, that were not available any other way.

rze99 likes this.
  6. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

589BDA5A-E81A-4437-84FB-F427C45683ED.jpeg

I assembled my dream Jag! I wanted a vintage-spec version of the Squier Vintage Modifed, 9.5” radius, ‘62 looks, nitro Olympic White body, full shielding and vintage-accurate wiring. One of my favourite guitars now.

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

In other words...NOT vintage-spec.

Not knocking your choice of radius, or your guitar in any way...just your incorrect description of it.

There were some inconsistent radius necks at times in Fender's history, but the factory aimed for, and usually succeeded in, putting out 7 1/4" radius necks on anything the collector/hobbyist community might use the blanket term "vintage" to describe.

8. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hah, yes. I see your point. Vintage except the neck! More-vintage-spec-than-Squier? The latter will probably do! :)

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

About 20 years ago I tried with a Carvin Bolt kit but it didn't really work out. HSH with a ton of switching options, great parts, etc. But, it wasn't all I hoped it would be. I still have it but I don't play it that often. However, it was useful in helping me better figure what I liked and what I didn't. My Mosrite JR kit and my SX modded T style are the closest right now. But, there's still the dream out there.

thefretwire_mosrite_jr_kit.jpg
    modded_SX_STL-50.jpg

ben smith and Fiesta Red like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Assembled my dream guitar?

Over and over for 39 years.
    Easily more than 100 times.
    Brought me clients who wanted me to fix of assemble guitars for them
    Most of mine were different but followed a natural selection process.
    The first one in 1980 got new Dimarzio super distortions and then it took a couple of years buying used pickups to figure out that I didn't like HBs.
    Circa 1990 I made a parts Esquire that nailed my preference, but I also had put together a parts Strat with a '65 body I filled a bunch of routing in, an '80s MIJ neck I refretted with extra jumbo, and an early '50s set of rewound pickups that in retrospect had to be A3.

I've never had another Strat that sounds that good but use Strats for experimenting with pickup arrangements.

Esquires needed a little refining IMO to balance string to string tone, so I tried different pickup mounts without the angle, which helped a lot to get the high E sounding more like the B and G in terms of tone.
    Same idea as the Glendale BFG Strait Plate.
    Turns out I really like the modern Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge position, with the taller bobbin assembly than originals, but not so much the rest of the JM.

Got a Tele thinline body on the bench now as my back and neck arthritis yet again makes my goals a little different.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow! I really like that! Have any recordings of it?

12. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

my dream guitar is a 62, double bound, tri-sunburst tele, with rosewood board maple neck.. I couldnt afford an AVRI 62 before, so I did plan on building it true to 62 vintage specs..

fast forward to 2019, I was able to find and buy an AVRI62, so i got my dream guitar.. but for builds, Ive fiddled mostly Fender parts trying to get a low cost option for what I want or want to try out..

I wanted a 69 thinline but gold hardwares, so I built this.
    [​IMG]

then I wanted a 62 strat, and got a roadworn strat build
    [​IMG]

My latest is because I have a solid all-rosewood neck lying around and I wanted to a specific Squier P90 guitar that I just couldnt get my hands on before.. after a few years, I tracked down a 10year old model and asked the seller if he can just sell me the body.. this is quickly becoming my favorite, and honestly challenging my AVRI62 in the number 1 position, so much that Im considering on selling the AVRI to do a high quality custom thinline build with 2xP90's ala cabronita..
    [​IMG]

ben smith, bumnote, Hound Dog and 3 others like this.
  13. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I've assembled "a" dream guitar, maybe not "the" dream guitar.

I mean even Brian May needed a Telecaster sometimes.

Treadplatedual and Deeve like this.
  14. spellcaster

spellcaster Tele-Holic

My first assembly was my Tele bass, and the second was my first Strat. I still like them the best out of about twenty I've assembled. My tastes have changed a bit....I wish they had less bling appearance-wise, but they're still my best players. They play well enough that I could sell all the rest and I'd still be happy. And, knowing now how poor the financial return is on partscasters, I wish I'd built the first two and then left well enough alone.

[​IMG]

ben smith and bumnote like this.
  15. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I turned a cheap Yamaha EG112C2 into am awesome metal instrument! It plays bass at the same time with the guitar if I wanted too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did this to it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, it plays bass at the same time!
    Demo:

ben smith likes this.
  16. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I don't really have a dream guitar anymore. I've been building parts guitars though and design them to fit specific needs (wants?). As an example I wanted a dual-P90 guitar so I'm building a dual-P90 Strat to my specifications. I did a super lightweight P-bass, cream with black hardware last year. I just make'em to fill my perceived gaps in my stable.

17. Reua95

Reua95 TDPRI Member

This my first time to assemble a guitar. I don’t know if it is my dream guitar or not, because I’m not finished. I have really had fun with it. I have already started thinking about what I might try next....

Attached Files:

Hound Dog likes this.
  18. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

19. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I recently posted this on my NGD (Dream) thread:
    625BAFC9-9683-4C0E-B416-8E9FF418E87F.jpeg A65FECD5-F0B9-451B-A153-D9F5079CC0E1.jpeg FA5CDE33-3EE7-4D00-B738-7DF078297D4F.jpeg

ben smith and whoanelly15 like this.
  20. Rockbreaker

Rockbreaker Tele-Holic

I don't know about"dream" guitar but years ago I put together this tele with a relice'd CV or VM body, a japanese Squier Bullet neck, an aluminum pickguard a friend of mine cut on his CNC machine, a hot SD bridge pick up and I honestly don't remember the neck one. This thing is entonated almost to perfection, sounds so awesome that, even though I have other better, more expensive guitars, this one gets played the most. I usually start gigging with one of my other teles but always wind up finishing the gig with this.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.