How many of you have assembled your "dream guitar"

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by omlove, Aug 21, 2019.

1. omlove

omlove Tele-Meister

Somehow the idea of assembling my dream guitar never skipped my mind. After many years of playing, I have a good idea of what it is. But...

I know I cannot get to the quality of Fender Custom shop. They are experienced and skilled but I at best know how to use a drill and a screwdriver - and I don't even know if I am using screwdrivers right, lol

Or I may not know exactly what I wanted. It's like when Fender went out to make artist signature series, the artist sometimes hesitated or backtracked on the specs. There may never be an end to the fiddling of specs and details.

Or my taste may change and after some time the beauty may become an abomination.

Have you assembled your dream guitar? Or have you find one already made? What is your experience?

Thank you.

ben smith likes this.
  2. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I did.

I built it my first holiday season after I started my latest fancy job.

It's my green strat:

IMG_8108.jpg IMG_8181.jpg IMG_8182.jpg IMG_8184.jpg IMG_8185.jpg IMG_5744.jpg IMG_8024.jpg IMG_8025.jpg IMG_8042.jpg IMG_8045.jpg

It has all the "best" parts money can buy.

but it's not the best guitar I own. Not by a lot.

So, whatya supposed to do *shurg*

I've assembled guitars, built guitars from scratch, bought cheap guitars, and bought really expensive guitars.

My personal experience has led me to believe that "dream guitars" are found, not made. When you play one you'll know it. Then, do everything you can to get that guitar...

I've played a few guitars that had the "dream guitar" quality. You know em when you feel em.

All that said, if you really want a parts-caster then go for it. It'll probably turn out great... but it also most likely wont be a "dream."

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I've also built a guitar that made me shurg.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Dream guitar? If I had a dream guitar what would I do with the other eight?

5. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have a top 10 list, I have fiddled with each one.

I have sold off some guitars that I would love to have back. None of mine are total scratch builds like Ron Kirn does. I swap out stuff to get to that happy spot.

I would like to have all of my Gretsch guitars back.

ben smith and Treadplatedual like this.
  6. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve bought my dream guitars and I’ve built my dream guitars. I don’t need the best parts money can buy playing in my living room or even recording. I don’t go cheapest either. I’m more middle of the road beat value for the dollar and purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ben smith, Obsessed, DHart and 2 others like this.
  7. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

@jimilee has the golden touch :eek:

jimilee likes this.
  8. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I assembled my dream guitar early this year.

Fiesta red tele with a strat sounding neck pickup (Lollar royal T). Neck is roasted flame maple with a Brazilian ebony fingerboard. Vintage tuners, ashtray bridge, brass saddles. Everything I like, down to the 10"-16" compound radius on the fingerboard. For the most part this has completely eliminated my GAS. I'm currently building another telecaster (a deluxe style) just because I already had a body and a neck laying around. Other than that, I really have no desire to obtain another guitar because of this one.

Fiesta Red.jpg roasted flamed maple.jpg

9. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

Since I retired I’ve made my own guitars to my own specs. What started as a standard Tele design now looks more like a Steinberger. The interesting thing is that your definition of dream guitar changes. Even when you build exactly what you want you realise that there are one or two more tweaks that would improve it.

Then your band changes and you need something different again.

10. roycaster

roycaster Tele-Meister

I’ve put together a couple of Partscasters. Not so much dream guitars, but because I don’t fit into the realm of Fender’s marketing scheme. I recently changed out a MIM Sage Green body for a MIA Vintage White body, and I am impatiently waiting for my repair guy to finish the set up. Because it is a Partscaster, changing the body, bridge, etc as needs or tastes change is no big deal…

ben smith likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

For you guys sick of my telling about it, skip to next reply now.....;)
    But I built my dream guitar in an "evolutionary" way. Almost twenty years ago, I started with a MIK Fender Squier Telecaster, and, over a long time, changed things. I've had about four bridges, several sets of pickups, (both two and three p/up combinations) as well as a new Warmoth neck in a fatback profile and Gibson scale (24 3/4" scale) This way, where many of you guys try different guitar models, to decide what you like and don't like, I was "building on" things I already liked....it took out the many variables involved in a guitar. It also allowed me to discover what I ultimately decided I liked. Yes, it was somewhat time-consuming, but it was FUN (mostly) and educational. The only downside is, when asked what model Tele I play, I can't just pop off with a particular catalog model.....usually I just respond with "partcaster" or, my favorite, "Mongrelcaster"....'cause it's truly a mongrel. ;)

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I have built over a dozen partscasters - I love that you can pick and choose each element, and it becomes a truly unique instrument.

My latest build is seriously making me consider getting rid of the other 20 guitars I have (its the only guitar I have played the last 2 weeks, lol)

• Class Series 50s Laquer Neck and Classic series 50s lacquer 2TSB body (from different guitars) - REALLY glad to scoop these up before the discontinue
    • CS Tex Special pickups
    • 4-way switching
    • Titanium 3-Saddle bridge
    [​IMG]

13. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I put together my first "partscaster" back in about 1982 from a bunch of Schecter parts I bought in a couple local guitar stores. I didn't realize how much I loved that guitar until after I sold it in the early 90's when I needed the cash. I'm still kicking myself over that mistake. It was by far, the best guitar I've ever owned.

schecter.jpg

This Tele, that I recently built from scratch, is a very close second.

0001.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  15. intensely calm

intensely calm Tele-Meister

My dream changes before the project is over, lather - rinse - repeat.

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My avatar guitar was my dream guitar, 30+ years ago.
    I guess it still is.
    I’ve been modding it constantly.
    It’s being modded as we speak.
    It’s getting a an old Bill Lawrence blade bridge pickup, a bridge rim modification, and titanium saddles.
    It’s no longer my favorite, or #1, but it’s the best “C&W” guitar I’ve ever owned.

17. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

My dream 51 nocaster built by me and she's become my favorite guitar! So much so that I'm seriously thinking of selling off most of my collection ;) And... I'm a 1st time builder! Never did anything like it in my life. Took me over 100 hrs and 3 months, but I was careful in my build and took my time. Built it to as close to 1951 as I could do so.

Attached Files:

18. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

The Thinline I just assembled had everything experience said worked best for me. No need for others. Its "the one".

Norrin Radd likes this.
  19. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

As far as my project guitars, My favorite is my Fender Modern Player with P-rail/triple shot mount in bridge, Tapped Seymour Duncan Quarter pounds in neck and mid. Wired with stacked 500K/250K pots, so I can choose one of two tone circuits. Love the way the guitar looks, plays, and sounds. A lot of folks aren't into the hotter pickups, but if I put the P-rail into the rail position and tap the quarter pounders, it dials it back acceptably. The p-90 selection on the P-rail balances well with the quarter pounders in the untapped configuration. Can cover a lot of tonal territory with it.

The second is a craptacular AliExpress Guitar. I upgraded with mostly scavenged parts (tuners from a Mexican strat, Tonerider Vintage in neck, DiMarzio Pre-B1 in bridge. Purchased a control plate with a four-way switch with an out of phase position. Kept the crappy toploader bridge. Guitar is suprisingly fun to play, has a lightweight, resonant body, and a somewhat thicker tone than a typical tele. The pickup cavities look like they were routed out by an intoxicated orangutang. Neglected to take pics when I was working on it, but the routs are truly abominable. I still take great satisfaction from turning that POS into a playable guitar.

Mincer likes this.
  20. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

I‘ve dreamed of an early 50‘s Thinline that Chet Atkins could have been played...and I’ve built it:

03322185-5CE5-4D69-8B3D-BB0EF63BBF80.jpeg
    The best guitar I‘ve ever owned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.