1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many of you do your own computer maintenance?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 28, 2017.

1. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's amazing how reliable modern computers are, considering the power and capacity they have for very complex applications. It has lulled us all into idea that nothing goes wrong anymore... The software is evolving all the time (and getting bigger!) but the hardware can go catastrophically wrong very quickly and you have to accept it will do it at the worst possible moment - now when did I back up last!

Not surprisingly my Macs are now obsolete - the older one is marooned at OS Mavericks, and I can't update the OS on my main iMac any higher than its current state El Capitan, or add any more RAM which is probably more important.
    However I am now semi retired so only occasionally have to use the system to earn some money...

and as if on cue, I upgraded my Adobe Lightroom last night to the major update 'Lightroom Classic CC' - and no, it is NOT working, grrrrr!!!

24 track likes this.
  2. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You are not alone! The evolution of tech is happening so fast it's impossible to keep up with all the new innovations unless you are a professional geek!
    I used to write a lot of music on a wonderful midi application called 'Freestyle'... until a software update on my old Mac system... Freestyle would not run on the update. Fortunately I had rendered most of my work to my old Roland digital 4 track, but after trying many options I had to admit I would never be able to use those editable Freestyle program files again. I had to draw a line under all that work and start all over again, and eventually settled on GarageBand... which of course does not play very easily with my prize Roland JV-1010 midi synthesizer module - all my sounds!!!
    There is one light in all this darkness - this is what the internet is very good at - if you think you have a unique problem with some archaic piece of hardware or software, there is probably someone else out out there who has had the same problem and is willing to share some knowledge on it - all you have to do is find them :0(

24 track likes this.
  3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I don't bother to repair computers and TVs anymore. If it's not under warranty, I just throw it out and buy a new one.

24 track likes this.
  4. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I've always built my own PC's, as well as my wife's, son's, father's and a few others. I'm scared of laptops for some reason, they go to the shop if needed. The only one I ever had to take in was diagnosed with a bad motherboard. I've never owned or worked on a Mac.

24 track likes this.
  5. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

rhe most problems with lap tops is the Black screen thingy, the screen goes black but the computer is on , I have reballed lots of graphic chips and brought 100% of them back to life , the process is the same for macs its only the dissassembally order is the issue , if they told you it was the mother board , they are saying the graphics chip , I had an Imac first gen that had 15 bowed out bad caps from over heating but I bet If i replaced them the mother board would work as new.,
    where i have my issues is when the computer service center will gladly sell you a new computer when it is onlt a simple fix , then once you buy a new unit , they fix it and use for them selves .
    I saw that at the local Apple store , plus they charge outrageous rates for repairs, The last repair I did cost me 20.00 in shpo fees ( 16.00 for compressed air, thermal paste , Q-tips, and 99% alcohol) so I charged her 20.00, she spent 2700.00 for this 27" Imac and its now only worth 400.00 , so she said she would drive it into the ground!, I may get it yet !!! ( like I need it, I have 8 Macs 2 Pc's )

6. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've built all of my own PCs since about 1984 starting with a 4.7 MHz 8088 IIRC. My current desktop system has a Q6600 Quad-Core something, 10 years old at least. For what I do, which occasionally includes using SONAR for recording, it works fine. I swapped the motherboard once (had to buy it used as this CPU socket architecture is obsolete).

I got my son an HP Gaming laptop a couple years ago. Fan seized up so I ordered a new one. We opened up the case and took out the existing one. It was stuck but it easily got unstuck. Put the new one in anyway. Been working better.

Had a couple work laptops, similar story. I think the Gateway was really easy to service, the other one almost impossible. That's something they don't normally advertise.

Replaced a couple broken laptop screens. That was easier than I thought but still not much fun.

I helped my other son build a desktop system. It was starting to reboot spontaneously so we vacuumed it out and I redid the heat sink compound on the CPU. "Seems" better now.

I give up pretty easily if things are really not working though. Bought a little power supply tester thing since it can be hard to diagnose which thing isn't working if you don't have 2 of everything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.