How many of you do your own computer maintenance?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 28, 2017.

1. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I'm with IT (you can trust me) so yeah I do my own maintenance.

24 track likes this.
  2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

cool, I was looking at the PI-3 but couldnt really think of a use for it

3. tahoebob54

tahoebob54 Tele-Holic

I have my own personal computer tech on call. I have two macs that I use at home and a iPhone. My teck is so good to me he never charges me anything, he will talk to me for hours about any computer problem,or any other problem.

I live at Tahoe and he lives in Chico Ca. When my wife passed away last February, he got in his car and drove to Tahoe to be with me,and help me out.

I am very happy that my computer teck is also my older brother Bill.

william tele and 24 track like this.
  4. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I've had to 'make do' with second-hand hardware since our household got a computer back in 2000 or so, so doing my own maintenance was an occupation brought about by necessity. I have also been using Linux full-time since 2003-ish, so yep. I also troubleshoot my amps, pedals, and audio equipment and have passable soldering iron skills, so I do that kind of maintenance too.

The PI-3 is quite a leap from the generations before it, so it's basically useful for about anything you'd use a 'normal' computer for (with limitations), and the breakout parts make it easy to interface to outboard electronics. Check out the MagPI magazine for ideas: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

24 track and Guitarteach like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve got a bunch of RaspPis.. best thing is to turn them into comprehensive game emulation consoles with retroPi and load them up with hundreds of classic SNES, SEGA and old arcade games. You can even use an old monitor and make a big arcade cabinet.

I have a RaspberryPi occasionally set up with a camera and a sensehat that I can VNC into to monitor and tweet out the temp, humidity, etc. of the guinea pigs cages. Sadly the number of teenage girls who follow the guinea pig’s account vastly outnumbers those who follow our band on social media.

IMG_4270.JPG

IMG_4271.JPG

My fave device these days is the micro:bit... does a lot of what an Arduino does but in a better, cheaper, more compact package.

Emulator/editors here: http://microbit.org/code/

Nice for messing about for hobbyists who like to tinker.

I’m making a simple midi foot controller for my rack (patch change up/down & bypass) with a micro:bit today. I made a drone prototype yesterday with four micro motors and an exercise datalogger the day before. It has a 3axis accelerometer built in.

w3stie and 24 track like this.
  6. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I've never failed to fix any of my computers during the last 15 or so years... until last month. I decided to format and re-install Windows 7 on my HP Workstation as it was getting a bit slow. Tried six or seven times and it blue-screened at the same point every time (just before the product key stage). None of the Command Prompt checks and fixes helped. I installed Windows XP as a test measure and it loaded with no problem. A local tech has got it in his workshop now and he can't find a solution either.
    I feel a little better for knowing that it's baffled a professional as well.

24 track likes this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. The RaspberryPi 3 is quite potent for the price and makes for a useful extra PC. Will do basic work / browsing stuff or you can set up it up with Arduino IDE, etc. and Terminal,software to make a cheap setup to mess around making stuff.

24 track likes this.
  8. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

A problem with macs is that many people leave them on all the time and put them in sleep mode.There are 2 problems with this (according to me):
    1. Sometimes they get really hot when in use, and if you leave them on, they might cool a bit in sleep mode but not enough.
    2. The o.s. will bug somewhat if you don't turn it off, in particular if it's been on for a long time.

24 track likes this.
  9. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

In the early days of PCs (386 and 486 machines) I would build and troubleshoot my own machines, 'cause it was cheaper. I wouldn't attempt to try it on my HP laptop with multi-layer boards and all surface mount parts that are so small my old eyes probably couldn't see them without a magnifying glass.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    24 track likes this.
  10. 24 track

I have 7 macs in use in the studio, and one PC I have a pc laptop I use for other purposes, and I was looking at the Raspberry Pi for projects comp and couldnt see it, because Im still building the studio, and dont have enough time to get that one finished. but its very cool for learning .

11. Generic Schmoe

Generic Schmoe Tele-Meister

There is a reason my father (a retired carpenter in his late 70s) is on a Linux box.

12. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Never. Last year I recycled my 6 year old iMac and purchased a new 2016 MacBook Pro. I still have a nearly 7 year old MacBook Air.
    No physical, mechanical maintenance although I have done a clean install on the MacBook Air.
    I am sure the iMac was probably cruddy on the inside but it was working fine.
    I had considered upgrading the hard drive on it to an SSD but, after watching the tutorials, decided it was too complicated.
    In my pre-Mac days before 2004 I cleaned up the internals on a Dell PC I owned. I have never fooled with a laptop.
    I am not particularly good with these kinds of things. Best left to someone who actually knows what they are doing. I don't do orthopedic surgery either.

24 track, tintag27 and DougM like this.
  13. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey, thanks for the autopsy shots, 24 track!
    I have 2 iMacs. My old one from 2008 went kaput in the middle of an intense promotion, where I was doing a huge amount of advertising and promotional artwork and structural drawings... it was a scary thing to happen! I was able to save all my work but the drive was toast, and I had to buy a 2009 (grade A refurbished) iMac to carry on working. Bizarrely, after a year I had decided to bin the old one when I decided on one last attempt at reviving it, and somehow piece by piece I managed to install OS and all my applications from scratch - despite all Apple diagnostics telling me the drive had died... it's been nearly 2 years since, but it is still working perfectly...!
    My newer and main iMac still works very well, (I use an old Apple Cinema Display as 2nd monitor) but with a maximum RAM of 4Gb it has a tough time handling 3D apps, Photoshop and GarageBand :0) I just drink a lot of coffee while I am waiting!
    It gets hot using those processor intensive applications, so I rely on a neat little app called TG Pro which displays all heat sensor readings and fan operation... looks like I have a Optical Disc Dive fan stopped working, but no temperature danger alerts...
    As you obviously know, the iMac is a terrific computer, but beyond vacuuming the vents for dust, repairing and hardware maintenance involves first taking the whole screen out using glass suction cups...I can't face that yet :0(

Studio Nov17.jpg

24 track likes this.
  14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Nothing to maintain, really!

24 track likes this.
  15. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

When it first came out, the docs weren't that great, and I didn't have time to go to the source. So the only way to get to the GPIO easily was through Python, a language I despise. It's better these days.

And really, I needed many more pins than it had.

24 track likes this.
  16. 24 track

the unit i took apart was operating just fine , but that little voice said ,Check it out and I did , I couldnt believe how much dust there was in there so If I collect enough dust I probably could build my own planet!
    mine was cruising at about 110 f in idle , so last night I left this up all night and right now the internal HD is 90 F everything else is about 88 F tops a huge difference.

what were the symptoms when it crashed? did it go black screen ? but the start up tone happened?

BTW Nice play room

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  17. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Er... it's been a while - but I seem to recall it would start, but then never finish booting up... maybe?
    It was coupled to a firewire 400 backup external drive, and I was able to get into the data by using that as a startup disk - I could even work off that drive, as it was a 'SuperDuper' fully cloned backup that included all my applications... but it felt like I was living on borrowed time working like that - two identical systems working simultaneously in some weird symbiosis? - I ran diagnostics on the iMac through 'Disk Utility on my Apple installation disk, and also ran 'Disk Warrior' on it... They both reported that the iMac hard disk was not repairable... so I had to cough up the money and buy this one...

24 track likes this.
  18. 24 track

you system sounds like it is a mirror to the system i am on now!, cool! I have a 7200 rpm 2.5 inch sata drive that is a superD copy of my main drive that I use for backup and repairs , i use disk warrior to align the registry and disc utility to do permissions and disc repairs.
    I also Have a firewire hot swap drive bay to bring up an other drive if I have to.

19. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

I'll know when I got it all figured out when I get to finally mount all those old images I have as virtual drives in Virtual Box (or whatever) and have them be read as if they are the original computer. Not possible of course, but it's a nice dream.

Reconstituting old computers is a nightmare. What were the separate drives? Were they logical/extended? What were the paths to the samples folder and the audio folder and the music folder that ideally should have all been separate?

:)

I read somewhere about the ability to to turn old True Image archives in to virtual disks or somethings. I know about .vdi, another thing again. God, I haven't got a clue - I'm totally lost!

Maybe in the future the tech will be there to put all this back together, if not, then it's going to be a long hard slog making sense of all my project files, matching them up to my samples folder etc. etc. etc.

Even today, I don't have a strategy. I'm too busy picking up the pieces.

I'm sure someone has figured it all out though.

Is there any accepted wisdom how to go about things these days if money was no object and we could all have Raid '0' (or wtf) mirrored drives?

NAS systems are so expensive. I could probably build one cheaper, but then again...

It's a frightening place to be. I know a lot about computers and storage and retrieval and all that. But I'm really very much in the dark when it comes down to it.

tintag27 likes this.
  20. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

It's part of my profession, so yes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.