1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

How many of you do your own computer maintenance?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 24 track, Oct 28, 2017.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Well this has pricked my conscience. My iMac hasn't been opened for a while, and it has been getting hot lately. Normal running it's ok, but when I drive the screen to 2560 x 1440, it starts to get warm.

What do you mean by reballing the graphics chip?

jimash and 24 track like this.
  2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Spent about fours hours this afternoon recovering my daughter’s old, but high spec Win7 laptop as a home music studio machine .

The simpler stuff... Cleaned the dusty airways, replaced the dead battery and fixed a few keys that had fallen off. DVD is a write off though.

Cleared about 4gb of caches and error reports and resolved a few hundred registry issues as well as removing loads of huge spammy bloatware and games.

Checked the disk and defragged it and now it loads up and works fast. I’m happy. Just wish there was a way to add a SSD. I might double the RAM though.

Runs my big second 16:6 monitor in very high res - great for the DAW

Only cost was my time.

Biggest overheating problem was with a Sony PS4, the ventilation ports fill up with dust quick and it sounds like a train after a couple of minutes or if playing a demanding game.

24 track likes this.
  3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Just replace the HDD for a SSD. use the old HDD as an external storage drive.
    what's the company and model name?

24 track likes this.
  4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A lot of time , laptops, Mac and PC and Imacs (all in ones) will get the "BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH", and the computer comes on but no screen,
    First step : unplug the A/C from the back of the unit , let it sit for a few minutes, Press the on button and hold for about 2 minutes Plug the A/C back into the comp and turn on again( if the same result) - turn off the computer
    Step 2 : remove the all the Ram then replace 1 ram chip into slot #1 - turn on the computer if it comes up it means the ram chip inserted is good , repeat with the other ram chip, if it comes up then reinsert both chips and try again, (make sure you are properly grounded , ram is really, REALLY suseptable to static discharges and can ruin the ram)

If none of this works got to step #3
    Step 3 : this is much more involved , it entails (in a lap top) removing the mother board finding the Graphics chip Isolationg it and heating the graphics chip to about 250-320 degress for about 5-10 minutes to resolder any broken solder joints in the chip due to over heating , caused by broken fans, due to dust bunnies , clogged ventalation etc.

in the Imac finding and removing the graphics chip , cleaning all of the old solder paste off of it and the attached heat sink, reballing it as above then carefully reassembling it making sure all 20+ connectors are in place and properly oriented .

so far I am 100% success on the reballing,
    -2 comps I have had to do 2 times ,
    -1 comp as I stated must have a bad cap that goes intermittent, but freezes the usb and scatters the screen , I will attempt this again once the power supply discharges for the next 72-80 hours < Imacs have open powersupplies that pack a massive whollup if you discharge them into you.

there are tons of Youtube variations on line on how to approach this like baking the grphics or mother board in the oven , how ever Heat is as much a threat as dust is so I have set up a way to just heat the graphics chip and not over heat the rest of the board. this process requires some special equipment and TONS of patience 'cuz you cant shortcut the process once started.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    jimash likes this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I do all mine. Open them up, blow and vacuum them out. Some times remove the mainboard, PS and drives to really get in there and give 'em the spic and span treatment.

24 track likes this.
  6. 24 track

and I bet they will last for ever ! I do mine every 2 Years or if I'm doing upgrades , the comp pictured was performing great , absolutely no issues , but i noticed the temp was starting to rise and thought Ill give this a go , and "Jesus De Carumba" ! I'm glad i did

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All software, no hardware.

24 track likes this.
  8. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Yes. I think I bought only one prebuilt windows desktop, a 386 back in 89 or so. My recent purchase was a Macbook Pro though. Laptops aren’t something folks can easily build. I have popped my previous macbook to replace the failed hard drive.

Carl

24 track likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Get an old PC, load it up with a few new drives, install one of these:

http://www.openmediavault.org/ ... I like this because it's based on Debian
    http://www.freenas.org/ ... based on FreeBSD, used this for several years
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacula ... always liked the idea of this one but never tried it

Hold old is an old PC? I have a 1997 Gateway purring away happily as a NAS box (PCI cards interface to modern SATA drives) so you should be able to scrounge something for no cost even if you have to bug the family to search their garage or basement.

Mirror drives in case one goes down (never stripe the drives) you have the good drive remaining
    link your laptop/desktop to auto sync with the NAS
    link the NAS to a second offsite NAS that only updates changes at some prescribed frequency automatically.

Teleposer, xafinity and 24 track like this.
  10. Stisch

Stisch TDPRI Member

I was a field tech for NCR doing maintenance on retail systems. I also picked some contract work for Dell, HP, Lexmark etc, replacing parts and such. Whenever someone asks if i know how to fix something on a PC I tell them I don't have a clue....o_O

xafinity and 24 track like this.
  11. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I would but my systems tend not to fail.

And while I don't currently have the capability to recall anything, MY senior project in electronics (in the 70's) was building a processor out of discrete TTL gates.

I've built entire computers from scratch, including the boards.

24 track likes this.
  12. 24 track

this is my guitar simulation comp its a windows 7 machine that runs reaper and a ton of guitar emulators , the top unit is a drive chassis that has 14 X 1 terrabyte hard drives to record to, i built this to Tie into the main recording computers that i have

IMG_0335.JPG

but with all things in the real world as soon as its alive it needs maintenance

Teleposer and Stisch like this.
  13. 24 track

using an 8080 or a 680X0 ?
    Im right behind you on that one

In grade 9 I built 29 of the 31 final class projects in electronics A police siren (oscillator thingy)
    Mine played Mary had a little lamb (I defeated the cap discharge giving the rise and fall of the siren) the teacher kicked me into grade 11 immediately

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  14. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

This is one of the reasons I've stuck with the big towers for so long. I can just buy a new card and shove it in.It;s also easier to clean out than an iMac .

24 track likes this.
  15. 24 track

I've never tried a thin line Imac , a rediculous design, to even get the screen off and then you need a re-assembly kit to put it all back together and this includes a hard drive update , my Imac uses magnets to hold the screen in place and with most comp (and I have 5 mac towers ) the process is always the same.

I hear you on the towers!

16. 24 track

I've had my system up now for 2 hrs straight
    CPU 87 F
    HD 93 F
    DVD 89 F
    GPU 92 F

much cooler than before I was in the 100 F + range

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Never had to do any. My 1986 Mac Plus still runs fine. Only reason to upgrade to a new computer is when aftermarket software won't run on the latest OS. Both my wife's business and my recording MacBook Pros are 2009 1/2. My step daughters have been running cheap DOS stuff since their high school years in the early 2000s. Yup, they are finally done replacing, losing stuff and getting virus' and have gone Apple. :)

xafinity and 24 track like this.
  18. raito

6809 for the computer with the boards. But I did a bunch of troubleshooting on the wirewrapped COSMAC Elf's that the previous seniors had made.

The heck of it is that when I did my processor project all I had was a binder full of 7400 series datasheets and the 6809 manual. And that was IT. There were no books on the subject that I had access to at the time.

These days, all a high schooler would need is the internet and a $20 FPGA eval board. I think that's cheating a bit.

24 track likes this.
  19. 24 track

Have you seen the Rasberry Pi-3 a quad core c/w 1 gig of ram on a credit card , just to teach how to program unix , this is a fully functional unit that you can build into any format you need all for 35.00 US take 2 of these and you have an 8 core 2 gigs of ram on board really interesting project ,
    But you are correct there were no manuals and all had to be wire wrapped or bread boarded ala radio shack bread boards( I still use a few) I built a few Fuzz pedals that way.

Ah the olde Nand gate , Nor gates , and gates ,or gates , bucket brigades and decade counters , op amps , Z8080, 7400's and TTL catalogues, I helped a friend do the same in High school he got really excited when the first binary digits came up on the Make shift monitor he had an old black and white tv i think.

20. raito

I have one of the first generation Pi's. I didn't find it very useful, I'm afraid.

At the moment, I'm doing stuff with FPGAs and PICs instead.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.