How many of you are very happy with the neck pickup?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Revelation, Aug 4, 2018.

1. SpringKing

SpringKing TDPRI Member

Neck pickup on Tele are like a wah pedal for me = just a gadget that I make it work one time every 3 month
    So ... :cool:

Attached Files:

Rayf_Brogan likes this.
  2. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

The '52 pickup in the neck of the Baja '60s has surprised me. I'm mostly playing either it or in the middle position.

3. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Area-t - it’s great I use it or the middle position 80% of the time also.I have a Chopper-t in the back for heat. They combine nicely.

4. greasamizer

greasamizer TDPRI Member

I have put strat type necks on a few tellie types I have built, and I think they are pretty easy on you in a general sort of way.
    Using the neck pickup and position 3 on a four-way with a treble bleed gives me the area of sound I like. The only thing I don't like about telecasters is that slit of a control trench, so future builds will have a plain top or all the mods shall be installed in a routing under the scratch-plate. I also found a Japanese decal of a girl that reminded me of Alana Delagarza...WOW!!!! It is now emblazoned on a black scratch-plate.

blille likes this.
  5. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

6. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

that's a combo I have, and man is it versatile, especially with a 4 way switch and its series option

nicod98 likes this.
  7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just got a 2001 MIM Telecaster and the neck pickup is OK. Not great. For one thing, IMO it’s poorly matched to the down and dirty bridge pickup. I think they’re both A5 not ceramic. When I play the Tele, let’s face it, I’m mostly the bridge. It’s what a Tele is all about. IMO. I happen to have a couple really nice Strats, so when I’m wanting a more clean, mellow sound, I can just pick up one of those.

Still, the Telecaster neck pickup has a certain je ne sais quoi. Is it worth upgrading to say, a Twisted Tele?

8. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Oh, I love playing neck pickup on a Tele, particularly if its a sparkly bright humbucker!

[​IMG]

Seven Teles in the stable and one of them has a "traditional" Tele neck pickup (Cavalier Lioness). All the rest have either a sparkly bright humbucker, a mini bucker, or a Filtertron.

I would enjoy a Strat neck pickup (awesome tones!) in a Tele, but already having three Strats, I can just play one of them for that.

Yes, I love playing the neck pickup most of the time, and combined with the bridge much of the time. I occasionally play the bridge pickup alone, but most often I'm on the neck pickup.

I guess I'm not a huge fan of the traditional Tele neck pickup, but the Cavalier Lioness in my mahogany Thinline sounds great.

Mr. Neutron likes this.
  9. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Seymour Duncan vintage, Antiquity, Five-Two, Alnico Pro II, etc. in the neck are all good. Some of my teles have either a P90, mini-humbucker or a full sized humbucker in the neck.

Mincer likes this.
  10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I use the neck pu about 75% and a mix about 20% and bridge only about 5% .

jimilee and nicod98 like this.
  11. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I've always loved the neck pickup on a Tele.................

There I said it.

Gary

41144 and Revelation like this.
  12. ChrisNY

ChrisNY TDPRI Member

My main gigging guitar is a Modern Player Tele. I'm on the neck pickup probably 75% of the time, great sound for a country rock band.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Gary, I love it also. I just don't use it.

I just don't use it very much on a Vintage style Telecaster. I am happy to focus on it on something like an American Standard, up through the end of 2011. Love that A5 neck pickup. Some have suggested to me I like the American Standard neck pickup in large part because the clunky bridge doesn't have much of a hindering impact on it and my right hand moves up the guitar away from the bridge and it sort of stops being "A Tele" in most respects.

But on a Vintage style, I add an additional lead to ground the cover, then use both pickups in Series and tend to alternate between Bridge and N + B (series).

14. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I spent a while a couple of years ago on a quest to get my neck and bridge to be useful together. I wanted them to be different sides of the same coin rather than being entirely different so that I could be on the bridge for a biting rhythm tone and flip to the neck for a smoother tone but in the same wheelhouse. The Twisted Tele was the solution for me; paired with an A5 Tonerider Vintage Plus in the bridge. My tone stack is a Fender TBX control. I have a 4-way switch but that’s not necessary, a 3 way would have been fine with that setup.

8barlouie likes this.
  15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I put a beefy Rio Grande in mine, its better.... but I still rarely use it. Sometimes in the middle position with the bridge, thats a useful sound when I want a mellower tone.

16. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Hmmm, I bounce between the neck and the bridge. I always thought the middle sounded like every bad group I saw at my Junior High School Battle Of The Bands.

ALL THOUGH of late I've used the middle once or twice with good results.

Gary

17. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

I started using my neck pickup more when I got the one from Lollar that sounds a little more like a strat neck pickup (they Royal T). Always liked the Strat neck pickup. I generally don’t use neck pickups that often anyway, either because I’m a philistine or because of the style of music I gravitate towards, or both.

18. nedray

nedray Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love the Tele neck pickup for a warm jazzy tone. Also love the middle position for lots of things. If you put a HB in the neck, it tends to overpower the bridge in middle position and you lose that sorta "quacky" effect. That's a nonstarter for me, but maybe not for you. That's what you have to decide.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

If you can't get something you like and need out of your neck pup, change the pup!

It's not that Tele neck pup position naturally "stinks" any more than those of other guitar designs. But yes, that Tele factory neck pup MAY stink, so why live with it? Nothing new here.

If you think it's whimpy...which seems to be a general consensus...get something hotter.

You'll get a lot more out of the guitar than never using your neck pup.

And don't get me started on 4-way switching.

Fender should be brought before The Hague for crimes against humanity for not making every Tele/Squier with 4-way.

Rusty Stauffer likes this.
  20. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I like the neck pickup in my AV '58 Tele, though I am normally an Esquire guy. The neck pickup on that guitar is what sold me on the guitar. I use that pickup a lot. What I don't use is the middle position; I can't stand that anemic sound with the weird frequency notches or whatever the hell is going on. I will be changing the wiring so that positions 1 and 2 are like an Esquire, and position 3 is the neck pickup with no tone control.

My Aerodyne has a Fender P90 that is awful. I have been thinking about replacing it since I bought the guitar new back in '04. Still haven't done it, though. I am considering sending it to Seymour Duncan for a rewind. That stock bridge pickup is great, though. It has a real aggressive sting to it. I have lived with the guitar 14 years with the switch "permanently" parked on the bridge pickup.

I also want to try an ASAT Bluesboy. I think a neck 'bucker would be nice on a Tele, and there's a real beauty that I have my eye on at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.