How many of you are playing in a country band?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by jguitarman, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jguitarman

jguitarman Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am interested in seeing how many bands are keeping busy playing country. If you're in a country band how often do you play and what kind of country are you playing (traditional, swing, modern, etc.)?

2. Stingfan73

Stingfan73 Tele-Afflicted

Was, about 5-6 years ago and was reasonably active. Lead singer moved, and I wanted to step in to the role, but the collective interest fizzled aside from mine. Now, not in any Country band, but have been "jamming" with some classic country (Bakersfield Sound) kind of guys as collective schedules allow. I'm not sure due to our other obligations and interests whether this will ever be a gigging band to play more than a random one off gig every six months at best/most, but it is fun to get together when we can to play this music which would not otherwise be played with other people. Washington DC area.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Which country? ;)

4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I'm not but that's the dream. Anybody in western NC looking to start a country or bluegrass band and start gigging? :)

I'm ready to rock.....well not rock but you get it.

wayloncash likes this.
  5. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I am! Female-fronted pre-1980 classic country in Tampa Bay, Florida.
    We usually have two or three gigs a month.

http://sararoseband.com

Martin R likes this.
  6. joeybyron

joeybyron Tele-Meister

Checking in. Columbia SC. 75% modern, 15% classic and the rest is originals. Playing average of 3 shows a month.

7. telemandave

telemandave Tele-Meister

Mostly classic country. Between 2 bands, 3-4 times a month.

8. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Tele-Holic

No ...
    though I would love to
    I have pedal steel that I have slowly been learning that i would love to play in a band
    i have played in country "rock' band a few years back

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

My band can play traditional country all night long if you want... we can also play alot of classic rock and more. We like to mix it up. We usually play twice a month.

brookdalebill likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I play guitar or bass in many country bands.
    None of them keep me busy, individually.
    I play semi-regularly with roughly 25 acts.
    Two of the country bands are good, the rest, uh, not so much.
    All of them are populated by nice people, blessedly.
    Perhaps it's because I'm a geezer, but no one I play with does any modern stuff.
    One of the "good" bands is called the Lost Sounds.
    As the name implies, they do older, semi-obscure stuff.
    Full disclosure, I am their first call sub on guitar.
    Their regular guy is highly in demand, so I sub for him often.
    The other "good" one does a fair amount of the bass player/leader's original songs.
    It seems to me that, at least around Austin, the bar for getting gigs is very low, along with the pay/respect.

rebelwoclue likes this.
  11. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

My band plays some country (it's required where I live out in the boondocks of central Texas), but we actually play quite an eclectic mix of stuff.

But we also stopped regular gigging quite a few years ago. We do maybe 5-6 gigs a year now. Mainly we play for ourselves, but we've been together for so long (20+ years with the drummer 12+ with bass player) that we can adjust our set lists for just about any audience.

But we get a lot of positive comments on the mix of styles we play. I think it has to do with the typical small town audiences we play for. We do lots of community/festival stuff, so you have everything from grandma to the great grandkids. So if you listen long enough, we'll eventually play something you like.

We do country from G Strait, Willie, Cash, A Jackson, Z Brown, Brooks and Dunn, and then a bunch of country rock like Marshall Tucker, RE Kean, and the Eagles, then on to Skynryd, the Police, B Seger, SRV, Dire Straits, John Mayer, and ZZ Top, with some jazzy stuff (like Steely Dan) and Ray Charles thrown in. And depending on the audience, a touch of Tejano!

So when asked what kind of music we play, the answer is yes

Cheers,
    Doug

12. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

I play an open jam almost every week, and I do Elvis, Hank, Cash, George Jones, Faron Young, Willie, and Waylon mostly. I'm not allowed to be in any actual country bands because of my utter disdain for any country music made after the 70s :)

I was doing a short set of the above mentioned artists one night, and some drunk chick asked if I knew any Carrie Underwood. WTF, really?

13. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I play in a country / classic rock band called Dark Horse (DarkHorseVT on FB). We play about twice a month, but that limit is by choice, not by demand. We play a mix of classic and modern country, as well as some classic rock that meshes well in that genre (Eagles, Doobies, Skynyrd, Beatles, etc.) We are all "Seasoned" musicians...code for old guys :), and we all have full time jobs and family as well, so the limit is to make sure the band remains fun for all involved, and doesn't evolve to the point that we dread loading up the gear and heading out to yet another gig.

14. vespa1

vespa1 Tele-Meister

I play in a country band called Doghouse Flowers. About 50/50 covers vs originals. Our covers are 60/70s honky tonk and outlaw stuff and a few 50s classics. During the high season (Mid May- Mid Oct), when there are a lot of outdoor gig opportunities, we play 4-5 shows per month on average. The rest of the year 1-2 shows per month if we are lucky. The club scene for original country music is poor in my region.

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. hollowman

hollowman Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Band Sadly broke up last year. but we played Alt-Country, about 75% original material. Anyone in KC want to start up a new outfit?? got a bunch of new songs...

we played a little "standard" country, like Cash or Williams (Hank). Lots of venues for original bands in this town.

16. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I play bass in an old school country band. We have gone through busy periods, but things seem to have slowed and we have been averaging only about once a month or so. Seems that around here at least, old school country is something that though it has its fans, is mostly a niche thing, with not a lot of places booking it and not a ton of people going to see it. I stick with it because I enjoy playing bass and I like the band. After playing solo gigs for pretty good money for many years, I was shocked at the embarrassingly paltry amount of money I make in this band. Like I said though, I do it mostly for fun anyway.

17. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I play three nights a week on a regular basis with some extra gigs thrown in for good measure. My Friday & Monday night band in called the "Country Ravens" for some ancient reason. We play a lot of bluegrass and classic country. My Saturday night band Is called the "Texas/Tidewater Connection and is fronted by a Texas rhythm player/vocalist and we do a lot of George Strait and western swing as well as some country rockers...........

My other band is called "The Long & Short of It" which is a band my wife and I have (She's 5'2 and I'm 6'4) hence the band name. With this band we do a more modern thing and also some pop standards. With this band I play lead guitar, pedal steel & mandolin. We do some things about 10 or 12 times a year. With the other two bands it's lead guitar & mandolin on Friday night and lead guitar & pedal steel on Saturday....

I'm proud to say that I'm still pickin' as I'm a geezer to the nth degree, I'll be 77 on the 21st of this month....JH in Va.

brookdalebill and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  18. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

We play a gig a month. We could do more, but the guys are getting older and don't really want to play out. Up here in Mass. I'm not sure you can make a living playing classic country, but there are gigs out there for sure.

19. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

I just joined a country group called "Stampede". They have a monthly gig in a pub in our area (my second gig with them is this Friday). I just joined last month, but I am really excited because everyone in the group is so good!

Wrong-Note Rod likes this.
  20. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

I've played in a few countries, though we play punk/noise music.
    I also play in a band that plays humourous "bro-country" and also Wheeler Walker Jr. type stuff. That band has only played in one country though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.