How many of you are happy you bought a relic'd guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Digiplay, Jul 27, 2020.

1. TeleNutt

TeleNutt TDPRI Member

2. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I was kind of annoyed, and amused, to find out that one of my favorite guitar finishes....sunburst....started off as a relicking attempt. Gibson, I think, over 100 years ago started it to imitate the look of an old well used instrument where the finish on the edges had darkened over time and the center stayed brighter because of being rubbed by the players' hands.

Aristeas and dlew919 like this.
  3. TeleNutt

TeleNutt TDPRI Member

I love my Fender Custom Shop Relic Strat, Road Worn Strat and Tele and my extra heavy wear Nash Esquire. I also have a USA Tele 52 Reissue (which I never play.) 8621C890-E07D-45F4-A18C-ADBCF0B69432.jpeg

Stratohacker and joebloggs13 like this.
  4. jackcrowder

jackcrowder NEW MEMBER!

Hi, we have a Nash Tele with major relic and a Nash "Brownie" 3 color Strat. Really enjoy them.

Stratohacker and TeleNutt like this.
  5. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

I have a Custom Shop NOS '51 Nocaster, and I love it. I honestly do not understand the relic thing, and the fact that you will pay $200 -$500 more to have Fender beat the hell out of your guitar, just blows my mind. It's like buying Jeans with holes in them. I will never sell my Tele, so all the dents and scratches will be on me, and I will take it to the grave with me. I have a number of other guitars, all were bought brand new, and I want to keep them looking that way. I am not knocking the relic lovers, i'm just saying it's not for me.

TeleNutt and TG like this.
  6. MiniMig

MiniMig TDPRI Member

Well, the 1970 SG that an astoundingly good friend GAVE me comes to mind, but the best deal I ever got on something I bought was my top of the line, $2000 list Ovation 2078 Bubinga top. I saw it on ebay as a "parts only" auction - the pickup was N/F and the access port in the back was incorrectly installed. It was $300 delivered and I took a chance. When it arrived I found the previous owner had bought a replacement pre-amp ($400!) which was included along with the original. I properly installed the access port cover and Drum Workshop (Ovation's new owner) sent me a new pickup for free, installed it and now I have a physically perfect guitar - the same model on ebay for $1400 - with a spare $400 pre-amp, a $175 original case, and I'm out $300.

TeleNutt likes this.
  7. crombie

crombie TDPRI Member

You are 100% correct,any reliced guitar lacks the mojo that only comes from playing the hell out of it

Aristeas and TG like this.
  8. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Agree 100%. I bought my Xotic because I wanted a vintage sounding S type guitar with the flexibility of a HB bridge. I also like the relic look. After almost a year of research and scouring the interwebs, six months ago I came across the Xotic line of vintage style instruments. I should also say that I was almost committed to a Friedman vintage TP90 before the deal fell through over a year ago. Anyways, back to the Xotic....I first saw it in the fall of 2019. I waited, and looked around, but kept coming back to the Xotic. I purchased beginning of July.
    This guitar amazes me. I have not played a more vintage sounding S type ever, and I have played actual vintage guitars and reissues. The Peach guitar reviews/shootouts are the closest anyone can get to really hearing how the Xotics stack up to others. It was an eye opener for me. Relic or no...this thing kills. Playing a relic style guitar is different, but in a good way for me. They feel super comfortable. The tone and playability was the overriding reason I bought the guitar. The relicing was also a factor, but secondary. I will admit that I wanted a relic guitar, but I was not prepared to sacrifice tone and feel for a good relic job.

9. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Hi TeleNutt and jackcrowder!

So you don't think I went too far with this Relic finish ?

Thanks,
    Jerry

PS
    Let me rephrase that :)

Did the Professional I sent the guitar to go too far?

IMG_4736.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    TeleNutt and Stratohacker like this.
  10. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

BTW, of all the pretty, new guitars I have (ALL that I love, btw), this is the only one that I feel I can throw around, not care about dinging/scratching it, not worrying about constantly wiping fingerprints off of it, really dig into it when playing, etc. :)

11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

BTW,

My Custom Relic job was loosely based on these Fender Custom Shop and Nash Tele's.

CS 51 Relic a.jpg CS 63 Relic a.jpg CS51 a.jpg Nash T-52.jpg IMG_4739.jpg

TeleNutt, dlew919 and Stratohacker like this.
  12. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

I have this one, built with an MJT body. It's my "always out" guitar, and it has become my son's favorite to pick up and strum. He has an American Strat I bought for him the year he was born - 16 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dlew919 likes this.
  13. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Well said.

14. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Wow, that's over the top. I tried to keep quiet reading this post, but that is just too much relicing. I've seen many very expensive, worn, original 50s and 60s Teles, Strats and basses in guitar stores and none of them are even close to being that worn. This is what my 1999 Strat looks like after being played almost every day for the last 21 years. I doubt that 40 years from now it's going to look like the reliced examples shown in this post.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  15. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Well, I did say "loosely" Maguchi :)

When it comes to a relic'd guitar Maguchi, it seems everyone has different opinions on what relic finish they like best (if they like it at all), just as everyone has different opinions on what color guitar they like best (and what they don't like).

As far as your comment about you seeing very expensive, worn, original 50s and 60s Teles, Strats and basses in guitar stores, and none of them are even close to being that worn, I used to think the same thing, but the more I research vintage guitars, I'm not sure that's true, Kenny Wayne Shephard's Strat as an example (Photo 1).

Hey, relic guitars aren't for everyone, and I appreciate your joining the Thread Maguchi!

On another note, I looked at TeleNutt's Nash Esquire, and I thought it looked pretty sharp (Photo 2)!!

Thanks,
    Jerry
    kws_1961_Fender_Stratocaster.png Nash.jpeg

TeleNutt likes this.
  16. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Afflicted

Boris,

All I did was ask if any Members were happy with their relic'd guitar. and as you can see, the overwhelming majority are, while some members don't like them at al.

It was simply a question, and if I put ANY of you members on the spot, I truly wasn't trying to do so :)

And PLEASE note that I truly respect your opinion Boris!

You don't have to agree with me, and I in turn don't have to agree with you, but either way, how could I possibly be angry at you (or anyone for that natter) for having a different opinion then I do?

Thanks for your input!
    Jerry

PS
    I'm not saying you're angry with me either :)

17. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

My 2015 Fender CS 1960 Custom Reissue is just an all around great guitar. Plays and sounds great (in spite of my playing), and the finish is very nicely done. Love it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

StrangerNY and TeleNutt like this.
  18. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Bought a ´56 custom shop Blonde relic strat in 2001. It has been my main giging guitar since. I still love it!!!

djhblues and dlew919 like this.
  19. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I loved my Nash T52 relic. I really shouldn't have gotten rid of it

TeleNutt likes this.
  20. djhblues

djhblues TDPRI Member

I was fortunate enough to get a Suhr Classic HSS Roasted Antique model about 18 months ago. The guitar was slightly relic'ed- some finish checking, light scratches, pickup covers a bit aged, etc. I bought the guitar on line in a hurry actually. The relic'ed did not show up in the pictures and the finish checking did not knock me out. But- I'm not worried about dings and scratches at all. And its one of the best guitars Ive ever played.And the first paint chip didn't phase me.
    On to my EJ Strat- the first gig, due to the nitro finish, the upper horn of the guitar was full of serious scratches. I buffed them out as best I could. After that, I really didn't care. Other than a bit of sanding on the neck, the wear and tear on the guitar is all mine. Had it since 2006, and its very special to me now.

And I really thing relic'd guitars look cool, if done tastefully. Heavy relic'ed? Not at all, primarily -who puts that kind of beating on a guitar other than Rory Gallagher or SRV? Just my opinion. EJ.jpg

Aristeas and TeleNutt like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.